3-Day Adult Space Academy -- What to expect?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

krosengren
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

3-Day Adult Space Academy -- What to expect?

Post by krosengren »

My wife -- for my 35th birthday -- is fulfilling a childhood fantasy of mine. I get to go Space Camp! In September, I'm off for my 3-day adventure. It was a total surprise and I have no idea what to expect. So here go a bunch of questions...

1) Is there a schedule/agenda for the weekend posted online?
2) I plan on arriving on Thursday to get a jump on exploring -- his a half day enough?
3) When should I plan to leave on Sunday?
4) Typical first timer/old timer ratio for the 3 day?
5) I'm a pilot and have GOT to land the shuttle on one of the missions -- who do I have to bribe to get that slot :)
6) What am I not asking about that a first timer should know?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Congratulations!

1) I don't think so, but some of the counselors here may be able to give you a rough agenda
2) A half day will help you get your bearings and explore a bit, but I guess it depends on the amount of detail you like to study.
3) The program usually ends in the early afternoon (someone please back me up on this), but afterwords you can see the museum some more.
4) I have no idea.
5) Your teammates. Let everyone know that's what you want to do and be really nice

Also, how are you getting here?
Ad astra per aspera.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

6) I would recommend a thorough reading of this section of the forum. There's a lot of very handy little gems of information (such as always have a roll of duct tape!).
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Woot - congratulations and lucky you! I second Hotdog's recommendation of reading through this section of the forum for tips and hints. I've never been to the 3-day camp before so I don't have much advice to offer.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Oh, and there are some shuttle landing sims in the museum you should try your hand at.
Ad astra per aspera.
krosengren
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by krosengren »

Thanks for the advice, all. I'm planning on coming in commercial Thursday afternoon and heading back Sunday evening. Fortunately, there are nice nonstop flights from DC.

P.S. I've got my duct tape.