3 day or 6 day??? Please help me decide

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

JenB
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

3 day or 6 day??? Please help me decide

Post by JenB »

Attending Adult Space Camp has always been a goal/dream. I was just about to hit the registration button for the weekend program and was tempted to do the 6 day. I'd like to do the 6 but it is quite a larger jump in price. However, on the other hand I feel like if I'm going to do this, I should just jump in and do the weeklong program. Can anyone tell me what activities are in the 6 day that are not in the weekend program? If I know what I'm missing, it may be easier to decide.

Thank you!
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

The 6-day programme is more intense than the 3-day one. You have more missions, an extended duration 6-hour mission, SCUBA (sometimes), more time in the sims, Area 51, more briefings, etc.

For me, it's a no brainer, the 6-day is the way to go. But I live outside America so flights costs as much as the 6-day camp itself, so I cannot justify going for only 3 days. Even if that weren't the case, I would still recommend the 6-day camp for everyone. You get more missions, more briefings, more time with your team, feel more immersed, and get to wake up to Pathfinder and the Rocket Park for three more days. (Among other things.)

Although, if the 3-day camp is all you can afford at the moment, go for it. It's still loads of fun and will give you a taste of Space Camp so you will want to come back again.

Since the adult programmes are similar to the youth ones (with a few added bonuses), you may want to check out the programme report on the 6-day camp here: http://www.hab1.com/Programs/ASA/ASA.html
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Katie
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Katie »

I recently had to make the same decision, and I chose the 3 day. I would say the 3-day is a good choice if you think you might go back for the 6 day at some point. It was a whole lot of fun, but it did not entirely satisfy my Space Camp needs :).

My only complaint about the 3-day was that you don't choose a track and are randomly assigned positions for each mission. And since there are only 3 missions, I was never assigned to the jobs I was most excited about doing.

So, I will definitely go back for the 6 day, but I don't regret doing the 3-day either. I got way more than I paid for.

Katie