OUCH! Can't find airfare under $400 to Huntsville!

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

JennyGirl
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

OUCH! Can't find airfare under $400 to Huntsville!

Post by JennyGirl »

I wasn't prepared to spend $400 for a flight to go to space camp! That is a very high amount for airfare between Orlando, FL and Huntsville!!! I'm in sticker shock on this one. I haven't even paid that much to fly between Orlando and Vegas, or California ---non stop! The flights I'm finding for the available weeks of the 3 day program are $370 before tax, + stops! OUCH! Anyone else experience high prices on flights? I guess I'll just have to keep watching the flights as it gets closer to the summer and if they drop, hope that there's still room in the 3 day program. I just can't see spending $400 for a flight right now.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Yeah, unfortunately getting to Huntsville is not cheap. It's not really a hub and there's not much around there other than Space Camp, NASA and the university.

Especially since you're only going for a three day weekend, you might look into flying into a nearby but less expensive airport, renting a car and driving....provided you're over 25 and don't have to pay the "young driver penalty". Hotwire.com is great for finding inexpensive car rentals, at least at the major airports. Don't forget to factor in the cost of gas.

Nashville is about two hours north of Huntsville. Birmingham is only about 90 minutes south. Atlanta is closer to four hours, but probably has the cheapest flights.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Unfortunately huntsville is expensive to fly into. A suggestion for an airlinr is fly southwest from orlando to birmingham and rent a car. Its a direct flight will cost you probablhy half of any other airline or less even and i believe birmingham is about a 2 hour drive to huntsville. Also southwest you wont have to pay for bags or any extra fees you will get with other airlines. I just flew back from orlando a couple of days ago through birmingham i have never had any problems flying southwest.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I just did a quick fair check for the flight i mentioned on souhwest and a round trip flight would be 224 after taxes. I cant look far enough ahead for when camp is thats an august air fare right now it might vary a bit up or down when september/october dates become available but it will still be cheaper than other airlines
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

You're really too far out to make a reservation.

Generally Orlando to Huntsville is $290ish, but you're probably too far out...it seems that past the 4-5 month mark, they're always more.

I would wait it out a bit...
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I don't know how much airfare would be for you to fly to Nashville from Orlando, but when I went to Huntsville for a visit last February, I flew from Chicago to Nashville for $130 round-trip. I had a friend in Nashville that I met at Space Camp the summer before, and we drove down to visit Huntsville. You can always rent a car in Nashville and drive to Huntsville, about a two hour drive.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
JennyGirl
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by JennyGirl »

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate all the great ideas and info :wink: I think I'll wait it out a few months and check the airfare again as Vincent suggested. If it doesn't work out, I will just have to wait until next year and do the 6 day program -- which is what I really want to do anyway. I was just going to try out the 3 day as a prelude to the "big dance" as they say.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I wish airfare to Huntsville was only $400! It's anywhere from $800 to $1100 for me. But $400 does seem a bit pricey for your trip.

I will second everyone else's advice and recommend waiting a bit more to see if the price drops.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

One of the guys from my camp session took a direct flight from Orlando to Huntsville and I believe that he said he paid $199 round trip for it. So maybe the price will drop after waiting a little longer. That was 2 years ago now, so with inflation, I can expect the price will be a bit higher, but not twice as high as in 2007!
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

In many cases booking online is cheapest on a Tuesday or other strange weekday. I dunno why. I actually got a great deal I'm flying from DC to Huntsville for $200.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

Yes, I've heard that Tuesday is the best day to book a flight too.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Look into flying into Chattanooga. Orlando-Chattanooga flights were really cheap the last time I checked ($79.00?).

Drive time from Chattanooga to Huntsville is 2 hours, and it is a beautiful drive with lots of scenery along the way, I love it!!!

DO NOT fly to Atlanta and drive to Huntsville. It will cost you more time and money. Nashville might be similar in price, but the drive will not be as pretty.

Driving from Chattanooga to Huntsville, you will get to pass thru several old southern towns with old-tyme diners and country stores, as well as mom-and-pop owned gas stations. Main street USA. The drive down Highway 72 is a scenic drive you will not forget, and you may want to stop and take pictures.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

Post by Pete Conrad Fan »

When I went to the Alumni camp I flew Delta from Orlando direct. Price was fairly low too. Check their website directly, they usually have lower prices than the Pricelines, Travelocity's, etc.
-Sarah

Space Academy Level I 9/1990 - BDM
Aviation Challenge Basic 6/1991 - F-16 Falcons, "Tigger", Red Flag Award
Alumni Space Academy 8/2007 - Columbia