Flight suits for the 3 day program..should I buy???

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

JennyGirl
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Flight suits for the 3 day program..should I buy???

Post by JennyGirl »

I really would like to purchase a flight suit, but I'm only attending the 3 day. Will I be the only one?? is this something that's only done in the ASA? Hope not, cause I'd really like to go "all out" for this experience.
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Oh no, you won't be alone. My first adult session there was a guy that bought everything wearable he could and even placed orders for things that were out of stock. The only thing to remember about the flight suits is that they are made from what I call a "one size fits none" pattern. They're sized all right but don't expect a tailored fit. Luckily I have a wife that can sew and when I buy a new flight suit I have her tailor it when I get home for my next trip. (It also makes a pretty darn good Halloween costume.)
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I always wished that I had my own flight suit. If you are able to, I would suggest buying one. You can take your team photo in your flight suit, and wear it for graduation. Also, as Bill said, it makes a great Halloween costume! I'm planning to actually borrow my boyfriend's flight suit (we actually met at Space Camp) and wear it to give a "special occasion" speech at school...as the first person to return from Mars! I really wish that I had my own!
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I would also reccomend getting one i have had one every year i have gone though some were worn multiple times. As smeone said though size can be an issue with them but you can try on severa when you get there to find the one that fits best. Unfortunately space camp flight suits have sizes like Small, mediul, large, etc, the bigger the suit is the taller it is also. Sadly they dont use the military sizing that takes into account size and height. So if you are tall ans skinny the suit may look like a tent. If you're short and larger then your legs and arms may be a bit long on you etc. I always managed to find one that fit well enough to look decent and most people do. The other thing to remember though is flight suits were designed for men originally and that realy hasnt changed despite having women pilots and astronauts. They are not always extremey flattering to a womans body though i have seen women who they fit very well too. I know when i worked there that was a big complaint among my female coleagues.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Go for it! I love my flight suit and it is one of my favourite souvenirs from Space Camp. At the adult camps almost everyone had a flight suit on my team. I don't think they loan out flight suits for the 3-day camps but if you have your own it adds to the ambiance of the missions.

PS - If you are really small, try the kids' sizes - they look the same but fit different. i.e. Youth size XL could fit better than adult S even if they are the same length.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017