Please tell me about your experiences in the 3 day program

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

JennyGirl
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Please tell me about your experiences in the 3 day program

Post by JennyGirl »

My 2009 New Years resolution was to finally go to space camp. I've been dreaming of attending for years. I am an undergrad going for my BS in Space Science, and this is definately something that I really really want to do for myself. However, I work full time and go to school 3/4 time, and I have a husband who is completing his MS in engineering & also working full time, so we have hectic schedules to say the least. I do not know if I'll be able to take an entire week off of work in August/September which are the only dates available for the ASA. But, I can attend the 3 day program without any work related issues. My husband said if I do the 3 day program he'd really like to go as well, so there's another incentive for me to do the 3 day. Anyway, I was just wondering for those of you who've attended the 3 day program, what was the experience like? Is it too short? Will it be a good way to "get my feet wet" and then register for the 6 day program next year? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

3 day program

Post by Conan »

My first Space Camp experience many years ago was the Adult 3-Day program. Since then, I have returned 10 times. I found the 3 Day program to be an excellent program and still very intense. I later took the longer program and it was even more intense and fun, but I still got a lot out of the 3 day program and I would highly recommend it as a beginner.
I have also attended many times, the 3 day Parent/Child program with several of my nephews. This is still a lot of fun, but it is mostly geared at the childs level so it isn't nearly as challenging for the adult.
At Aviation Challenge, their only adult program is the 3-day which I have attended a few times. It is also very involving and tons of fun. I wouldn't have missed it for anything but I do wish they had a longer program to follow up.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I'm a little different because I attended Space Camp when I was 16 and 17, and then returned for a weekend program as an adult. When I went back though, it was a special 25th anniversary alumni event weekend, and the adult camp went from Thursday until Sunday. This weekend was also different from the usual adult weekend camp, so I can't help you too much there.

You will do some 1-hour missions and you will meet people from all over the country that have the same interests as you do. Usually, for one mission, you will be in the shuttle/space station, and another mission you will be in mission control.

I would recommend that you try and get there a day early or stay a day later so that you can take full advantage of the museum. Usually you get some museum time during your weekend, but not enough to look in-depth at the exhibits...I remember museum time was usually about an hour long.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director