Graduation ceremony

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

caitlins
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Graduation ceremony

Post by caitlins »

I am sending my daughter to ASA in Decemberfor her birthday. I will probably have her dad pick her up and I will miss the ceremony.

How formal and important is the ceremony? Is it a must see?

Thanks,
Brenda
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

The ceremony is a nice recognition ceremony, but it isn't uber-formal. She and her team will receive their graduation packets (certificate, wings, team photo), then team awards are given. You know your family constraints. If you can't make it, it will be nice that her dad is there. A lot of kids don't have anyone there for the ceremony, as they've come from a great distance.

What a great birthday present, by the way!
Living the dream
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Great birthday present!! Your daughter is a lucky girl; ASA is a fun programme.

I wish I had a parent at graduation (I flew in from Canada) so your daughter will be lucky to have her dad there.

On top of what street said, if possible, leave some time after graduation for your daughter to show her dad around the space centre and show him some of the things she did during the week. And, as street said, graduation is not very formal - most people wear shorts and t-shirts to graduation and some silly stories may be told. Some kids wear flight suits if they bought one, but not always.

Oh, and bring a camera. Have your daughter bring one to camp (and take lots and lots of photos) but also bring one to graduation - there are some nice individual and team photo opportunities.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
caitlins
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by caitlins »

Ok, thanks for the info. I think it will be good for her dad to be there. Her birthday isn't until December 22nd and she leaves on December 28th so it won't have alot of time to sink in before she is there.
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

My parents never went to any of my graduations (I am also from the same region of Canada). I always had someone in the row behind me take a picture of me getting my wings at grad. Just make sure her dad has a camera for the graduation so he can take the picture of her getting her wings.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

My mother, sister, and brother were able to attend my graduation ceremonies when I attended ASA. We were lucky that I had an aunt that lived about four hours away that my family could stay with while I was at ASA. I was always glad to be able to share some of my experiences with my family.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director