What a 12 year old found useful

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

llchart
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

What a 12 year old found useful

Post by llchart »

I first want to Thank everyone that already contributed to this thread it was a HUGE help....

We just picked up our son yesterday, after having a fantastic week, and he wanted me to mention the most useful and add a few suggestions...

Sleeping Mask... We purchased one, when we grabbed some ear plugs. Didn't use the ear plugs, but was VERY thankful for the sleeping mask.

Min. $3/day vending money... Dipping Dot $3, Bottle Soda $1.50, Candy/Snacks $0.75.

1 roll duct tape... Duct Tape Saved the Day... Well, at least his teams rocket launches.

Camel Pack with built-in backpack. He said it was perfect.

Single Serving Size Gatorade (or similar) drink mixes.

Watch

Hotel Size soaps and Shampoos. One set per day. He said it was great because when he was done, he tossed what remained. He said there were a few boys that were just using water by the end because they lost/missed placed theirs.

LOTS of zip lock bags.

Nerf Football

The name badges can now be used as a gift card and he said it worked great.

He needed 10 sets of clothes for an 8 day program.

Mechanical Pencils & Sharpie

Letters from Home... He really liked it! Between grandparents and parents, he received a total of 6 letters. He said only two boys (in a barrack of 40+) received anything from home. So, for any parent that is reading this, send a letter or two. It makes a difference.[/list]
He also wanted me to mention that the bottom sheet is not fitted!!! He said he was very thankful for his sleeping bag and personal pillow.

As I mentioned, many of these items are mentioned elsewhere on the thread, but he wanted me to make sure I listed his "must haves".

Thanks again for all the great advise. It made his trip perfect!
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Glad your son had a great time, but I have to ask... what is a sleeping mask? I've never heard of such a thing!

And camel backs are great, just make sure you empty them completely before going to the airport.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

SpaceCanada wrote:Glad your son had a great time, but I have to ask... what is a sleeping mask? I've never heard of such a thing!
Sleeping masks are kinda like blindfolds but are more comfortable and made specifically for that purpose. They're used for blocking out light when you're sleeping. They're great for when you need to sleep in less than optimal conditions like on a plane or bus or when others might flick a very bright light on in the middle of the night. Here's a link to a basic one:
http://www.amazon.com/Snooz-Silky-Soft- ... 375&sr=8-5
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Those are some good recommendations!
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Sleep mask in action:

Ad astra per aspera.
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I could have used one during my 24 hour mission when we slept in the shuttle. The "sun" rising woke me up just as I was falling asleep.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

You're Canadian, living up here in the bright and sunny North, you should be used to falling asleep in broad daylight on those long summer days. ;-)

And thanks, Benji, for the enlightening photo.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
llchart
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Sure glad I posted this....

Post by llchart »

Computer Crashed and I lost his list... Now that 12 year old is 14 and headed back to camp. We were both struggling to remember the "must haves" and so I started the search once again only to find that I posted it... Thanks HAB1 for being my backup... LOL....