What size/kind of bag do you bring and where do you keep it?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

cornflakes88
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

What size/kind of bag do you bring and where do you keep it?

Post by cornflakes88 »

I'm going for the 2 week session and will be travelling afterwards so my bag might be pretty hefty! Do you keep your bag in our room or must you stuff it in a locker....
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

If you are lucky you may be able to get one of the big lockers in your room. Bring a bag with soft sides so it can squish and fit into a regular locker. Something like a rolling suitcase would not be the best choice, unless you empty its contents into your locker and stow the suitcase under the desk or on the bench area between bunks.

Then again, someone always kept their bag out on the desk or bench and just locked up their valuables, so I do not see why you couldn't do the same.

Lastly, bring as few clothes as possible. If you are travelling afterwards, make a trip to the laundromat so you can wash everything for your travels. That way, you can wear the same clothes over again. Or, do as others have done and wash things in the sink if needed be.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

you can't being a suitcase and just lock the zippers together?
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

Fatal291 wrote:you can't being a suitcase and just lock the zippers together?
yeah you def can, i'd still lock the real valuables in the locker though. those little dinky luggage locks suck most of the time
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
cornflakes88
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by cornflakes88 »

Ahhh ok thank you!! I didn't even think about using a suitcase lock....that pretty much solves the problem! :D
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

Think duffle!

They make them in many sizes, and with wheels, and they'll fit in anywhere.

As others suggested, plan to do laundry at some time during the week instead of carrying two weeks of clothing.

When I went to summer camp, you could get your laundry done (they charged you, but it was reasonable). If space camp is going to do multi week sessions, they should cut a deal with a local cleaner to do the same.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

Camp has done laundry before for kids that were staying multiple weeks. The last few times I went to camp I just stuffed my suitcase under the desk and locked up whatever needed to be kept safe in the locker. Unless you get the one big locker it may be difficult to get your suitcase in the locker.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

I second the duffle. Some are bigger than suitcases and they're much easier to stow.
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I brought a pretty large suitcase with me for only 4 days. But I had also stuffed a decent sized blanket and a pillow in my suitcase. I wanted to make sure I had enough room for souvenirs!

There was like a bench type area in our room where I left my suitcase. I left my clothes in the suitcase for the weekend and locked up the important things: the cell phone, the mp3 player, and so on. There were only 2 of us in our room, so there was plenty of room to store whatever we needed to. I don't know how well that will work in a room that has 7 people in it though. I'm sure that you will find someplace to stuff your suitcase or duffel bags, but just be sure to lock up anything that is valuable.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

rkolker wrote:When I went to summer camp, you could get your laundry done (they charged you, but it was reasonable). If space camp is going to do multi week sessions, they should cut a deal with a local cleaner to do the same.
They dont do laundry anymore, we had to sweet talk a counselor who I think lived off site to do the necessary laundry for us. which was unfortunate because one of the guys ended up with my lingerie... :oops:

Duffle bags were defeintley the best choice because theyre easily compactible, so you can get them almost anywhere
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Aviation Challenge Crew Trainer 2010-2011 - Starbuck
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

maybe it wasn't too smart. but by the end of the week, everyone just kept their bags under their beds of on the floor. I guess we all just trusted each other but dealing with lockers is a pain after a while
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
cornflakes88
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by cornflakes88 »

yeah, we ended up just putting our bags on the benches by the bed. it's not like any of the campers have time to go around and steal your stuff, beacause every minute of your day is scheduled!
by the way, mercergl, what's that picture of? it's so cool!

-Lydia
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

I'll ditto the suggestion of locking valuables in the locker and stowing your clothes in your suitcase under your bunk or under the desk. And do lock up those valuables! Wallets and expensive games/cameras/phones have a tendency to grow legs and walk if they are left laying on your bunk. Stashing them under the pillow or mattress doesn't secure them either.

Space Camp doesn't do laundry for you. If a child has an accident or gets sick on their clothes, they are given some from 'the closet' to get by with until their own are laundered. Bring what you need for your entire visit, including traveling clothes. If you're doing AC, bring old stuff for E&E and don't forget a spare pair of shoes. I can't count how many kids have only brought one pair and then have to put them back on, mud and all, the next day.[/u]
Living the dream
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I think there is good reason they dont do laundry for campers. There are a grand total of 4 washers and 4 driers assuming they are all still working i know one had a nob broken off when i left in august. And all the counselors who live there share those its hard enough for counselors to get in to do laundry siometimes especially on really hot weeks in summer throwing the kids laundry in the mix makes it even tougher. Campers are there a week or 8 days at most counselors have tow rork there for months and have only as few uniforms to use.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

cornflakes88 wrote:by the way, mercergl, what's that picture of? it's so cool!

-Lydia
Yeah, theres definetly not enough time to steal something, even less to be alone in your room. Though someone's hat was stolen from the showers. Everyone knew who took it, and we were then interrogated by one of the adults. He got it back though.
It's from the Movie 'Sunshine.' Its a scifi movie that came out last year. Its about a mission to the sun and there's an obsevation room on the ship, and this is the best image from the whole film. It's actually british (directed by Danny Boyle, if youve heard of him) so maybe you've heard of it?
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
cornflakes88
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by cornflakes88 »

nope, haven't seen it! I'm not actually English, I just live there :)
I will look that up though, it looks really cool.
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

I can assure you, if someone wants to steal something, there is time to do it. It is essential that valuables be locked up. Anything left in the bathrooms during the day will be tossed by the custodians.

I'll also add that an astounding amount of stuff is brought to lost and found daily and never claimed. Always report any missing stuff and chances are good it will be in lost and found (except money always mysteriously fails to show up there :roll: )

If you get home and realize you've left something, call Camper Services. Found items are kept for a couple of months before being donated to a local charity.
Living the dream
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

One big piece of advice out your name on stuff especially prepaid packages. I spent lot of time working in camper services this summer and you wouldnt believe the ammout of stuff thats turned in every day. One of the biggest things is prepaid packages none of which have names on them and they all look the same.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador