Water Activities

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Andromeda462
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Water Activities

Post by Andromeda462 »

Im attending Space Academy in 2 weeks and on the packing list on the web site, it says to bring a beach towel for "water activities". It also mentions a bathing suit. Is there some kind of lake or pool or does it have to do with a simulation?
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

There's a lake. You'll do various water-related activities at some point during the week (weather permitting).
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

It's a man-made lake about 4 feet deep or less. Very hot this time of year.
I must have gone to AC in August or so (as all pictures of me and everybody else are in shorts and short sleeve shirts). As I recall the water was about bath water temp.

--des
Vincent wrote:There's a lake. You'll do various water-related activities at some point during the week (weather permitting).
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

des wrote:It's a man-made lake about 4 feet deep or less. Very hot this time of year.
I must have gone to AC in August or so (as all pictures of me and everybody else are in shorts and short sleeve shirts). As I recall the water was about bath water temp.

--des
Vincent wrote:There's a lake. You'll do various water-related activities at some point during the week (weather permitting).
ewwww..really?! i was looking forward to take a refreshing dip during the water parts. :( i hate warm water (unless its in an actual bath!)
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

des wrote:It's a man-made lake about 4 feet deep or less. Very hot this time of year.
Back in the day, we used to take our teams out to UAH to do some weightless simulations in the indoor pool. Ahhh....very refreshing!
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

The UAH would be refreshing. I did enjoy the lake sort of, though not the temp.

--des
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

JennieM wrote:
Back in the day, we used to take our teams out to UAH to do some weightless simulations in the indoor pool. Ahhh....very refreshing!
The thing I remember about water survival at UAH is that when you were practicing getting into a raft, it was the responsibility of the rest of us to to simulate "rough seas and spray", which added to the fun.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

rkolker wrote:The thing I remember about water survival at UAH is that when you were practicing getting into a raft, it was the responsibility of the rest of us to to simulate "rough seas and spray", which added to the fun.

Good times!!! :D
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

I have some video of water survival at UAH. I'll try to dig it out and put it up on YouTube.

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHfnD7RG67Q
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

I dont recall the water in the lake being THAT hot. Its cool, but its by no means cool like Pool water. Trust me, if youre not from the South, youll find it VERY humid and youll sweat quite a bit, so a dip in a lake will be more than welcome
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Aviation Challenge Crew Trainer 2010-2011 - Starbuck
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Spyder wrote:I dont recall the water in the lake being THAT hot. Its cool, but its by no means cool like Pool water. Trust me, if youre not from the South, youll find it VERY humid and youll sweat quite a bit, so a dip in a lake will be more than welcome
On a day like today, I couldn't agree more.
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

See? My point exactly. In other states, humidty ranges from 0 - 100%, in the South, like in GA and AL, and also FL, our humidity ranges from 10- 1000 %, and anyone who spends time there will no doubt agree youre not really sure whether your supposed to breathe the air or drink it
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Aviation Challenge Crew Trainer 2010-2011 - Starbuck
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Spyder wrote:See? My point exactly. In other states, humidty ranges from 0 - 100%, in the South, like in GA and AL, and also FL, our humidity ranges from 10- 1000 %, and anyone who spends time there will no doubt agree youre not really sure whether your supposed to breathe the air or drink it
It's like a wet blanket. I remember when I went to Los Angeles a few years back. It was in June and I remember my nose was giving me fits because the air was so dry. When my friend from there came out this past April to be in my wedding, she couldn't believe the humidity here. I told her about it before, but she said she finally "got it."
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

The "Lake" is actually one of the largest swimming pools in the country, or so I've been told.
Ad astra per aspera.
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

The "Plake" as it has been called...
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
Moose
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Moose »

All I can tell u is that the water is nice and very clear not like a lake it is all concrete and hard on the bottom so...... and there is a lot of chlorin just about as much as a local pool
ASA- July,3-14,-Liberty Bell
ASA-June,10-22

Right Stuff-ASA- July,3-14
Curious george award-ASA-June,10-22
Best 12 team-ASA-June,10-22

Call-sign: Moose