Stuff to learn for ASA

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Monica42
Junior Camper
Junior Camper
Location: Issaquah, Washington, United States, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Stuff to learn for ASA

Post by Monica42 »

Hello.

I'm new here, but am very excited to be a part of a space camper community. I'm going to Advanced Space Academy (6 day pilot track) for the first time this summer on a scholarship through the Air Force Association (anybody else AFA scholarships?). I've wanted to go since I was like 9, but it has always been out of our budget. For me, it's hard to believe I'm actually going.

Before I go there, I'd like a little guidance on what I should study beforehand. I'm working on that long list of acronyms that was posted for someone in the adult program, I'm blowing through the library's collection on NASA's history, will get caught up on everything current in a week or two, and plan on researching current and experimental aircraft, and memorizing which one is which (the Navy has published some excellent articles on the subject). What else do I need to know? I've got a basic physics background (my favorite subject, actually) so should I study some of the elementary physics of rocketry (i.e. the rocket equation)? Should I practice some computer flight sims? (I haven't done much in the way of computer games besides Harry Potter)

Also, what are a lot of the activities mentioned? What is the escape and evade activity? The name gives away the gist, but is it in the sims or do they have you out and dodging each other? Any tips for the flight sims?

Thanks so much. Hopefully I will see one of you there! I'm going to be there July 14 (early arrival) through July 20.
Advanced Space Academy, July 2007, Huntsville, AL, Team Von Braun

"Either there's something wrong with me... or maybe there's something wrong with the universe!" - Dr. Beverly Crusher, Star Trek TNG
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Since you're on the pilot track, I'd see if I could find a copy of the space shuttle operator's manual (still available on amazon) and follow along the ascent and entry checklists using the cockpit layouts included. The checklists aren't exactly the same as ASA, but they will get you familiar with the panels and switch positions which will be very helpful during the missions, since there is never enough time in the sims.

If you have the time (and money) go to Kinkos and have the panels enlarged to something close to full size and hang them on a wall. If you have a friend who's also going, have them sit in the other front seat, because it's really a two person job (commander and pilot).

Another good source is the Space Shuttle Press Reference, which can be found at http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/tec ... s-newsref/.

That's probably already more than you want to do.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

First off, congratulations on the scholarship and your trip to ASA this summer! I had a scholarship to attend ASA too, so I could imagine how excited you must be.

Secondly, everything you need to know for ASA will be taught to you when you get there. However, what you are doing already seems like a great way to prepare for your trip. The Space Shuttle Operators Manual is an excellent resource if your library has it but otherwise I would suggest browsing the NASA website for similar details.

Here are some useful links:

Countdown 101
http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/laun ... wn101.html

Mission Events Summary
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/tec ... s_mes.html

Shuttle Reference Manual
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/ref ... index.html

NASA Human Space Flight
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/home/index.html

Otherwise, don't study too hard, have fun, and return to tell us all about your trip!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

From this former counselor's point of view, I wouldn't stress on learning everything there is to know prior to going. I taught so many trainees that were pretty clueless when they came to Camp. By the end, they were talking the lingo. With that said, learn because it's enjoyable. That is what it's all about. Having fun!
Monica42
Junior Camper
Junior Camper
Location: Issaquah, Washington, United States, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Monica42 »

Thanks so much for those links! The space shuttle press reference I think will be especially useful. I'll try to find a copy of the space shuttle operator's manual before I go.

Since it's the summer before my senior year, most of my time is filled with college applications and test prep (ACT retake and SAT subject tests), so space camp studying what I do in my spare, relaxation time. I would learn this much anyway about something or other, so it really is just trying to make sure I learn the more useful things. I only wish there were more hours in the day...

What would you say is the most important thing to have a good understanding of?
Terminology? NASA background? Space shuttle operations? Basic aviation mechanics? Current NASA programs? Astronomy?

In case I run out of time, I'd like to make sure I prioritize to the best of my ability. I just can't wait and don't want to miss a minute trying to figure something basic out. And hey, this is the fun stuff to learn! :D

"Either there's something wrong with me... or maybe there's something wrong with the universe!" - Dr. Beverly Crusher, Star Trek TNG
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

The most important thing is that you enjoy yourself. They WILL teach you enough at camp to get through the missions. Flying them better adds to the enjoyment IMHO. Pick out what interests you most, and get to know more about that. If you enjoy the subject, you'll enjoy the learning.
++rich
1MileCrash
Camper
Camper

Post by 1MileCrash »

get yourself familiar with a compass, map, trigonometry, and star charts. we had an orienteering class where we used star charts and trig to determine our direction and heading and then we had to go out in an adjacent field and use a compass and a gps to navigate a land course.
Space Camp - July 1997, Titusville, FL, Team Orion
Space Academy - July 1998, Huntsville, AL, Team BDM
Advanced Space Academy - July 1999, Huntsville, AL, Team Gagarin
Monica42
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Monica42 »

Yeah, navigation may be one area I'm short in. I have a library sky map that I'm going to use for practice. I've been working on my sense of direction for years, but it still needs improvement. I haven't had time to go through all the links, and I don't think I'm going to be able to get a hold of an shuttle operater's manual before I go. I'll do my best though. I can't wait for camp. Thanks so much for your advice.
Also, what is the best way to get caught up on what's been going on with NASA? The most recent book (that wasn't in the kids section- I looked at those anyway, but they didn't have much info) I was able to find was dated 1998. The books are fascinating, but... incomplete. Which site would you reccommend?
Oh, I also couldn't resist checking out that horrible 1980s movie "Space Camp." I figured it was something one just had to see before camp. :D

pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

To be honest with you, when I first attended camp I knew pretty much nothing about what I was getting into. I knew that I had always wanted to be an astronaut and that space camp was about the closest I was going to get to it. I knew the basic stuff that everyone learns in school and that was it.

Once I got to camp, I was taught the things that I needed to know. They made learning things fun too. I think it was better to kind of go into camp blind and find out what it was all about. I learned plenty while I was there and have carried many of those things with me for the past ten years.

The main thing is to go to camp and have fun. You will learn a lot and you will have a lot of fun while you are there.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Monica42
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Monica42 »

I'm sure I'll have a great time while I'm there- I really can't wait! :D Like I said, this is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. It's just a strange habit of mine- when I get excited about something, I need to devour some books on the topic.
I just got back from vacation and really worked on getting better oriented with the stars, memorized a couple of the charts, and made sure I had all of the acronyms solidly down. It was really fun to sleep outside with my star charts, although it was annoying to have to wake up at like 2:00 am and dart inside for the rest of the night to avoid getting soaked by the sprinklers. I gave my acronym flash cards to my grandfather and he had a great time carrying them around and quizzing me. I'm still working on the history of spaceflight, but hope to have a fairly solid background soon. I still need a good resource on recent NASA programs.
Again, thanks for your help. :) Is anybody going to be there during the same week? (July 15-20)

rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

Monica,

I am impressed by everything you have done (including getting up at 2am to avoid the sprinklers).

I don't know if you read the other threads here, but I have put a (near) full sized set of flight deck panels up at http://rkolker.com/enterprise

Kinkos will print them (they fit on 24 inch wide paper) for 50 cents a square foot. I don't know how many square feet it totals, but it shouldn't be too expensive.
++rich
1MileCrash
Camper
Camper

Post by 1MileCrash »

pilotgirl21 wrote:To be honest with you, when I first attended camp I knew pretty much nothing about what I was getting into. I knew that I had always wanted to be an astronaut and that space camp was about the closest I was going to get to it. I knew the basic stuff that everyone learns in school and that was it.

Once I got to camp, I was taught the things that I needed to know. They made learning things fun too. I think it was better to kind of go into camp blind and find out what it was all about. I learned plenty while I was there and have carried many of those things with me for the past ten years.

The main thing is to go to camp and have fun. You will learn a lot and you will have a lot of fun while you are there.
same here. i knew that it was my dream to pilot or command the shuttle and that i enjoyed space. each time i went to camp, academy, and adv. academy it was a new and different experience. each was extremely enjoyable. preparations? nah...didn't do anything special unless you count gettin a few friends from the first and second trips to go back each time and playing flight sims with them each friday night via the net.
Space Camp - July 1997, Titusville, FL, Team Orion
Space Academy - July 1998, Huntsville, AL, Team BDM
Advanced Space Academy - July 1999, Huntsville, AL, Team Gagarin
Monica42
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Monica42 »

Well, I'm back. It was really, really fun. I had a great time and I learned a ton! It definitely helped to have done some research, but you guys were right- I might have overdone it a little. :oops: I think that the acronyms, and the flight deck panels were the most useful. Thanks so much for everything that you guys did to help me. :) Also, I took the advice you guys gave to somebody else- bring duct tape. That came in handy. :lol:

The missions were a blast (I was pilot and flight engineer for our 6 hr EDM), our death count (for the EDM) was 38. :D Team von Braun was made up of all the scholarship kids and we worked really well together. We got to do the 1/6 th chair, the MAT, and a bunch of stuff at Area 51. I think the zip line down from the rock wall at Area 51 was the best part of the stuff we did there, but the missions were my favorite part of what we did in general.

We got James ("Holyman") as our counsellor. He was really good. Very laid back, but really passionnate and informative at the same time. We got to meet Dr. Von Tiesenheusen when he gave us a lecture in astronomy. That was really neat.

Overall, it was a fabulous experience. I'm going to shoot for the scholarship again next year to try to go again. Thank you all so much for your help. I'll be around and posting! :D

rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

Monica42 wrote:Well, I'm back. It was really, really fun.
We told you! :D

Sounds like you had a great session.
++rich
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I am glad you had a great time. Be sure to post some of your favourite memories and some photos!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Another Space Camp Junkie is born! :wink:
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
crash22
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by crash22 »

Monica42 wrote:Well, I'm back. It was really, really fun. I had a great time and I learned a ton! It definitely helped to have done some research, but you guys were right- I might have overdone it a little. :oops: I think that the acronyms, and the flight deck panels were the most useful. Thanks so much for everything that you guys did to help me. :) Also, I took the advice you guys gave to somebody else- bring duct tape. That came in handy. :lol:

The missions were a blast (I was pilot and flight engineer for our 6 hr EDM), our death count (for the EDM) was 38. :D Team von Braun was made up of all the scholarship kids and we worked really well together. We got to do the 1/6 th chair, the MAT, and a bunch of stuff at Area 51. I think the zip line down from the rock wall at Area 51 was the best part of the stuff we did there, but the missions were my favorite part of what we did in general.

We got James ("Holyman") as our counsellor. He was really good. Very laid back, but really passionnate and informative at the same time. We got to meet Dr. Von Tiesenheusen when he gave us a lecture in astronomy. That was really neat.

Overall, it was a fabulous experience. I'm going to shoot for the scholarship again next year to try to go again. Thank you all so much for your help. I'll be around and posting! :D
you are lucky... i had holy man too and he was amazing!!!
12-Day ASA 2007 - Crash - Team Scotty