a VERY important question..

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Fatal291
Camper
Camper

a VERY important question..

Post by Fatal291 »

Well am 18. I turned 18 in December. However, I am not in school. Some variables caused me to have to leave high school, however I had to enroll into a GED program. Now my question is can I still go to Advanced Space Academy? My program is scheduled to start this Fall, however If I could get into ASA during this Fall/Winter THAT WOULD BE GREAT!! I would like to know so I can see what I'll have to do about school.. Like rescheduling til Spring or what.

On the website it says

"* Eighteen-year-olds may not attend a youth program beyond the summer of their high school graduation year."

http://www.spacecamp.com/details.php?ca ... ce+Academy

I have not yet graduated so I'm not sure what to make of that. I turn 19 this year so this is pretty much my last chance to go to ASA, assuming that I still can. I REALLY want to go to Space Camp and have for a VERY long time.. I hope this (how ironic it's school) doesn't stand in the way of me having a good time.

:x
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

You can probably squeak in. If they ask, say it's the Summer of your graduation year.
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

I hope so, is it usually more crowded during the Fall/ Winter?
jagsvolleyball14
Camper
Camper

Post by jagsvolleyball14 »

Fatal291 wrote: is it usually more crowded during the Fall/ Winter?
NO! thats what i like about goin in the winter... there is only one small team or one full team max!... space camp ( the little kids) tend to have 1-2 teams but the older kids normally just have 1

...and for your first question... they *might* let u slide...i kno a few who have...lol... but dont take my word for it
SC-01;counsler-Katie
SA-03;counsler-Katie&Scooby
SA-04;counsler-dusty&?

AC machII eagles
-xmas-04;counslers-Sparky&Stumps

AC machIII blacklions
-xmas-05;counslers-Pooky&RG
-xmas-06;counslers-Bambi&Shaggy
-xmas-07;counslers-Opie&Snapper
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

I don't see any difference between ASA and the Adult program.. other than price and amount of days. I want to stay 13 days :D
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

The adult programme rocks!

Regardless, you should be able to get in. For all they know you were in summer lessons to graduate and couldn't come then. If you were only 18 I do not know if they would even ask. Or, what if you were one of those kids who started Year 12 at age 18, but turned 19 before you graduated? It happens - kids who fail a grade, kids who start school late, kids who missed a year due to major illness, or even transferring between states/countries with the different schools you may have ben set back a year. The possibilities are endless. Just tell them this is your final high school year (no lie) and all should be well.

'Worst' case, go to the adult programme. It is heaps fun, even if everyone is your parents' age or older. You may get youngens like me on our team.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

SpaceCanada wrote:The adult programme rocks!

Regardless, you should be able to get in. For all they know you were in summer lessons to graduate and couldn't come then. If you were only 18 I do not know if they would even ask. Or, what if you were one of those kids who started Year 12 at age 18, but turned 19 before you graduated? It happens - kids who fail a grade, kids who start school late, kids who missed a year due to major illness, or even transferring between states/countries with the different schools you may have ben set back a year. The possibilities are endless. Just tell them this is your final high school year (no lie) and all should be well.

'Worst' case, go to the adult programme. It is heaps fun, even if everyone is your parents' age or older. You may get youngens like me on our team.
Ohh hey thanks I have not even thought of that, I thought you would have to show proof or something. I would do the adult program but the days are shorter, they cost more and there is not much detail on the schedule on spacecamp.com it just says n/a for everything :twisted:
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

They don't ask for proof, but I definitely wouldn't advertise my age either. You may be just as old as some of the counselors. My first summer there, I was a counselor at the ripe old age of 19.
Revan
Camper
Camper

Post by Revan »

JennieM wrote:They don't ask for proof, but I definitely wouldn't advertise my age either. You may be just as old as some of the counselors. My first summer there, I was a counselor at the ripe old age of 19.
I thought you needed two years of college to be a counselor? If so.. how'd you get it by 19? Dual enrollment?
Space Camp 2005, Team Aldrin.
Space Academy 2008, Team Charon
ASA 2009, Team Von Tiesenhausen
12 Day ASA 2010, Team Liberty Bell
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I graduated Year 12 at age 17. I was barely 19 after my second year of post-secondary education! It can happen. Easily.

Although, from my understanding, younger counsellors generally get younger kids, whilst older ones get older kids. The youngest ASA counsellor I had was still 4 years older than me.
- Jennifer -
Revan
Camper
Camper

Post by Revan »

SpaceCanada wrote:I graduated Year 12 at age 17. I was barely 19 after my second year of post-secondary education! It can happen. Easily.

Although, from my understanding, younger counsellors generally get younger kids, whilst older ones get older kids. The youngest ASA counsellor I had was still 4 years older than me.
Ah, awesome! Good for you, then! :D
Space Camp 2005, Team Aldrin.
Space Academy 2008, Team Charon
ASA 2009, Team Von Tiesenhausen
12 Day ASA 2010, Team Liberty Bell
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

It depends on what age you start school and which grades you are placed in from year to year. Different places start Kindergarten at anywhere from 4 to 6 years old.
- Jennifer -
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

The best way to answer the initial question is to call reservations and ask to speak to Kami. She will be able to sort out your eligibility and give advice. She's a great lady.
Living the dream
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Also, in regards to 19 year old counselors, that doesn't happen anymore. The minimum age is now 21, with the requisite number of college credit hours.
Living the dream