Oh Dear..

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Oh Dear..

Post by Fatal291 »

As many of you know I've been trying to go to Space Camp for several months.. Well anyways I just turned 18 last month and I never realized that the policy is you you turn 18 within a school year, you can not go past that summer (graduation). So I have only a few months left to go. What month between now and June is the best (cheapest) time to go? Is it any fun during this time of the year? Will there be anything different?

I could go to the Adult Camp but I'm sure I'd be the youngest one there. That however could be good because older people are fun right? :D Well has anyone here gone to the Adult Center or know anything about it? Do you still get to do the same stuff as ASA? I'm just not sure what to do right now..
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I've gone to ASA in June, July, August and Christmas camp. Any time is a good time to go. My last trip I went at the beginning of June right when the summer season was starting. It was a good time to go because there were fewer teams than during the summer sessions. If you go May 6-11 or before it is only $849. Any week after that is $999.

I went to regular ASA Christmas camp when I was 18 after I had graduated and I went again when I was 19 so it really shouldn't matter when you go as long as you are 18. Is that a new policy that you can't go after the summer season?
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

on http://www.spacecamp.com/details.php?ca ... ce+Academy

it says in yellow and with *s...

* Eighteen-year-olds may not attend a youth program beyond the summer of their high school graduation year.
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

Also what types (if any) payment plans are included? What do i Have to pay now vs what i can pay weekly or so?
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

yeah, I know about that policy. I was signed up to go to xmas camp, and it almost didn't happen even though I was 18. But I totally agree with the policy, I definitely felt like at the maturity level I was at, adult camp would have been enjoyable.
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

Do you do the same things? Whats the difference?
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Adult ASA is very much the same as youth ASA, with a bit more freedom and a bit more intensity. I'd still go to the youth ASA as soon as you can though, as it is a different experience to have a team of people your own age versus having a team of people all older than yourself.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but they are different experiences in that aspect. Personally, I like all my experiences at ASA, youth and adult. If you could make it to the 13-day camp then definitely do it. I'd give anything to be 17 again so I could go for 13 days!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
jagsvolleyball14
Camper
Camper

Post by jagsvolleyball14 »

great liz... were you too good for us??...huh?...lol
Last edited by jagsvolleyball14 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC-01;counsler-Katie
SA-03;counsler-Katie&Scooby
SA-04;counsler-dusty&?

AC machII eagles
-xmas-04;counslers-Sparky&Stumps

AC machIII blacklions
-xmas-05;counslers-Pooky&RG
-xmas-06;counslers-Bambi&Shaggy
-xmas-07;counslers-Opie&Snapper
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

which one do I get Orange suits in? I want the orange suits!!
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

The orange suits are worn by the orbiter crew for the EDM. Adult and youth programmes wear the orange suits. However, you are not guaranteed to wear one because nobody can guarantee you will be on the orbiter for the EDM.

I'm not sure, but they might wear orange suits for regular missions... we didn't though.

Mind you, I'm sure you could ask your counsellor nicely and be able to put on an orange suit for photo purposes. We did! Much fun... except we didn't ask permission and just put them on when we saw them one day. ;-)

I still prefer blue flight suits, even if they never have my size.
- Jennifer -
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

i want t buy th eorange suits, is that possible :wink:
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

oh no abby! lol thats not what i meant... what i mean is, I would have enjoyed adult, just as I enjoyed being with yall...
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

im going in may :D
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Yay, congratulations on setting a date!

And no, you cannot purchase the orange flight suits. It's like way back when... the counsellors wore the royal blue flight suits and the trainees had light blue ones. I wanted to buy a royal blue one so bad... but I could not... Maybe, someday, the orange ones will be up for sale... but don't count on that time coming in the near future.

You could be crafty and make (sew) an orange flight suit. ;-)
- Jennifer -
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the reason the orage suits are worn is supose to represent the launch and entry suitsthat astronauts have worn since 1988 with the first return to flight. Space Camp has been a bit behind in that. Infact noone has even worn a blue flight suit of any kind on orbit since STS-61C ofcourse STS-51L would have also but never made it to orbit. Even in those days the the flight suits were only worn on launch day and landing day. Typicly on orbit the crews wear royal blue pants or shorts and a crew shirt with the STS number and orbiter name or sometimes there own name on it. In the 80s it was liught blue pants or shorts and a more generic crew shirt bu the same idea. Since flight suits are no longer worn for launch and entry they are pretty much only worn on the ground now for oublic appearances or when flying in T-38's.

An orange fligyht suit would be easy enough to do on your own orange flight suits are comercially available you would just need the NASA patches to go on it.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

where to buy it?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

If you want to buy an orange flight suit here is one for 30 dollars. http://www.outinstyle.com/p-MG-COVERALLS/RCO-7415.html
If you want to get patches i'd suggest thespacestore.com as their stuff is good quality.

Personally i;'d like to get a royal blue flight suit cheap like that and put the patches on it. The color of the camp flight suits isnt quite right and the comercially available ones are too expensive. Unfortunately finding a blank royal blue flight suit is nearly impossible it seems.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

thanks... so whos going in march? i hope i can fit in the beds there im 6'3 and the footage of the insides of the bunk rooms seem small =\

o yea back to the suits,my mom called and the lady told her every thing was included.. so do i get to take any of the suits with me that i guess comes with the package or is the only way im leaving with anything is to go to the gift shop?
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

No, you only get a flight suit LOANED to you for the duration of the camp. You will get a t-shirt you can keep though.

LB206, you could order a light blue flight suit and dye it royal blue. Just an idea... That, or next time you go, stop in at the Mariott and see if they have any of those 50% off one item coupons at the gift shop. I know a number of people who used those to buy flight suits when I was there.
- Jennifer -
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually space canada the camp suits are still too light in color the astronaut ones are darker, Rhere are more acurate ones out there but they are 30-50 dollars ,ore than the camp suits. Also with a camp suirt i'd end up removing everything but the space shutt;e and flag patches because the patch placement is all wrong and the NASA emblem they have on it hasnt been used since Mercury. They changed it somewhast in gemini which was replaced in the 70's by the worm emblem then they went back to the gemini era NASA emblem in 92. the perfectly round NASA patch is over 40 years our of date and is never seen below the sguttle patch on the sleeve like that. I'm looking not only for a new flight suit but a more acurate one. The more expensive ones from the space store and others are the closest i've found.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008