clothing package, yes or no

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

karatebando
Camper
Camper

clothing package, yes or no

Post by karatebando »

Hey guys,

I'm going to SAS in a few months. I know I want the space suit but I'm debating whether or not to get the clothing package. I know I will probably wear the t-shirt and sweatpants after SAS is over. My problem is that the shorts look like sweatpants that have had their legs cut off not athletic shorts which I prefer. The sweatshirt style that is offered I only would use for pjs on a cold night. I know I wont use the bag included in the package because I have one about the same size.

Do any of you who have purchased the clothing package still wear it? Was it worth it? Or should I not buy it, buy the shirt and sweat pants, or wait until I get to SAS to really get a good look at it?
Last edited by karatebando on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I purchased it waaaay back in 2000 and assuming that its the same then I would have to say that its pretty cool. It didn't really fit me quite right though so I didn't really wear much of it. The sweat pants were nice for cold days and likewise with the sweatshirt. The shorts are kind of odd though. I wasn't a big fan of them.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

quick question: do u mean asa?

and ive been down there for a total of 5 weeks and never got the clothing package, instead i took the $80 to the gift shop and got some of the nicer tshirts and other stuff
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I got the clothing package, but I live in Canada and so I wear the sweater and sweatpands regularly. The shorts fit really funny, and look like balloon shorts, but the kids ones are but better if you can fit into those.

You can always put together a clothing package AT CAMP (in the store) if you want to, so bring the money with you and you can decide there if you want to buy other things or get the package. That way you can try the clothes on and see if you really want them or not. .
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
karatebando
Camper
Camper

Post by karatebando »

Thanks guys. I think I will just wait until I get there. At least then I'll be $80 richer then I originallly figured. (Well for a short time at least. lol)
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

Good idea not to buy the clothing package. The sweatpants are warm though, wore mine for forever, still have the sweatshirt and t-shirts too, never ever wore the shorts... Just pick out stuff outta the gift shop. Last time I went they sell all the stuff in the clothing package including nicer looking camp shirts. One time they actually had USSRC windbreakers... those were awesome... :D
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I have one of those windbreakers... came part of the clothing package way back before the tri-logo and the duffel bag. I still have it, and it is about five sizes too big so I never wear it. Mind you, back then you had the option of summer or winter clothing packages.
- Jennifer -
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

You're right. I forgot about the winter or summer option. Mine is too big too, but its nice and I wear it cuz finding winter-ish clothes in Tampa is really hard. JMO, but I hate the tri-logo. I used to have really cool sweatpants that said Aviation Challenge down the side.
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Yup, my sweatpants say 'Space Academy' down the side, and the sweatshirt has the same words in big letters on it too. My shorts only have the SA logo. They changed the clothing in 1999 because the second time I went all my team mates got the new stuff. The tri-logo is okay, but I prefer the individual logos too.

Winter-ish clothes in Tampa? Isn't it warm there all year round?
- Jennifer -
jagsvolleyball14
Camper
Camper

Post by jagsvolleyball14 »

hey karate me and tennisrox tried to find u we were down there... we walked up to your team( decked out in sunglasses if u remember) and ask if anyone was karatebando and they j like stared at us so we would appricate if you could like explain y u didnt answer or if u were even there wen we did that..lol.. yea we were really confused...
SC-01;counsler-Katie
SA-03;counsler-Katie&Scooby
SA-04;counsler-dusty&?

AC machII eagles
-xmas-04;counslers-Sparky&Stumps

AC machIII blacklions
-xmas-05;counslers-Pooky&RG
-xmas-06;counslers-Bambi&Shaggy
-xmas-07;counslers-Opie&Snapper
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

lol... we felt like dorks!
karatebando
Camper
Camper

Post by karatebando »

I went to camp, I must not have been standing there when you walked up, sorry. That ended up to be the best week of my life. I had so much fun. The problem is that it was so much fun and my team was so great that if I go back I know my team will not be there. I'd love to go back but without my team I don't think it will be quite the same. Sorry again for you feeling like dorks.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

True enough.

But you'll be part of a new team. And that will be great, too.
karatebando
Camper
Camper

Post by karatebando »

Yeah. I have been to many camps in my life. More then I can count. I have never had such a great experience as this before. Knowing that if I go back my great team won't be there would be very sad. I would love to go back, who wouldn't. Knowing that the greatest group of kids I have ever worked with will not be there will be hard. One of my team mates was comming for his eighth or something time. At the end he told us that it was the best group he ever worked with. We completed Area 51 challenges that his other teams have never completed.

I know it will still be fun if I go back, but to not see my team there with me, I don't know. We're already planning a reunion we miss eachother so badly.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

No, you must return! ;-)

Having been on such a great team would give you many cues to have an even better time when you return. Your time at Space Camp/Aviation Challenge is what you make of it. Use your experiences to make every time the best time. There will always be one 'ultimate favourite' time, but they are all good in so many ways.

My adult camp was the best team and best week EVER! But, I would go back in a heartbeat if I could find the funding to do so! My husband and I will return... in time... 2010-2011 looks promising, unless my trip to Guide camp in Scotland falls through, which might make 2008 a possibility.
- Jennifer -
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

yeah... I definitely have a couple favorite teams, but this last time in Mach III was a perfect ending to my mach III career! Now, I'm looking forward to adult ac, and already trying to find 8 people, so we could have a weeklong adult camp!
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

you can always do what ive done in the past and just get a bunch of people from that team to come again next year and all do teammate requests, it worked for me both the second and third times i was there
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

umm... well, the thing is there is no weeklong adult aviation challenge, so me and a bunch of my friends who are now college aged are going to make our own team... thats what i was told to do by someone, i don't remember who now.. but it'll be fun, fun, fun! if anyone is interested in joining our ac adult team, let me know... so far i have about 8 people, but we can have, i would assume, up to 16
karatebando
Camper
Camper

Post by karatebando »

when do you want to go?
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

sometime when us college kids are out on break.. so basically, summer, winter break, or spring break.. we were hoping for it to be during winter break though... around when xmas camp is held