Shuttle Missions

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Shuttle Missions

Post by DanM »

I need to know more about the space camp (not sa or asa or asa for adults) shuttle missions. Do you choose your position? What orbiter do you use? how long is it? do you have to wear a flight suit?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well its been along time since most of us went to space camp but the way ituse to work was at the beginningof the week yiu woud take a quiz on space knowledge and at the end they woud have you list your top 3 mission position choices generaly the higher you scored thebetter choice you got. You don't pick the posiytion you get exactly the deciiiision was left to th counselor. I believe the missions are 1 or 2 hours not sure exactly and i believe you now do 2 missions so you get a ground and space role. As for flight suits you never have to wear them in any program noone will make you. and they dont give campers one to use for the week except in asa. Don't know if camp kids wear the orange ones for launch and entry or not but i assume they do. I believe ths shuttle simulator that camp uses in Endeavour formerly known as intrepid. I cant guarantee anyof thgis is stillcorrect itepeaced together from my 15 year od experiances at camp and fromwhat i've read hear and on the space camp website. They should hgave more info on mission length on the space camp website. I'm pretty sure about the endeavour being used and still not getting the final say in mission positions. Camp is a great program for its age level though despite some big diffrences from the more advanced programs.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

When I went to sc (again it was a while ago) we had to write a little paragraph saying why we wanted ____ position. And then the counselor picked from what she read.
~Siobhan
Space Camp 2000 - Cygnus- wk 38
Space Academy 2001 - IO- wk 36
Space Academy 2002 - Galileo- wk 38
Adv. Space Academy 2003 - Von Braun- 36
Adv. Space Academy 2004 - Von Braun- 37
raplie
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by raplie »

Its been a couple of years since I went to space CAMP, so this might be incorrect, but I'll just give what I know

You write about why you are qualified for a certain position and your counselor picks it from there.

We used Endeavor....er, I think. The one closeset to the grey steps

We also used Discovery, but I'm not sure if that was a freak happening, because none of the other groups from our week did...

It was about an hour and a half long

We had to wear those orange-thingies.

hope I could help ^^

**oh, and our group got 3 missions. The others said they only got 2.**