Habs and Bays

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Habs and Bays

Post by DanM »

How do I know what hab I'll be in? Do the bays have locks on the doors? Do they have bathrooms in them too? Are they cramped? Do I want the top bunk? Are roommates teammates? Can you read with your light in the bay? Do people really watch you sleep? What is the worst bay?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the first question is simple to answer space camp uses Hab 2 the smaller of the 2 buildings. The trainees are housed in large sllep bays with around 30 or so bunk beds if i remember correctly.The sleep bays if i remember right had an adjoining bathroomEach trainee gets a bed and a locker but you have to bring your own lock.This is the younger group of counselors so there is obviously mnore supervision. Though noone watches you sleep counselors did oreiodicly make rounds around the bay 15 years ago to make sure everyone was still there and everything was ok.The coiunselors have a room nearby. Academy and Advanced academy are housed in Hab 1 the larger of the 2 buildings. Each room has about 7 trainees if i remember correctly. Bathrooms are located near the rooms but not attached.Counselors bnever made rounds that i remember to these rooms but they alwayshad counselor slocated outside the rooms keeping an eye on things during the night. Again each camper gets a bed and locker that needs a lock. The rooms are much smaller have fewer people and you're given a little more freedom to be a little further away from the counselors without them coming in unless it gets too noisy. Nione of the bays have locks on the doors thats why you need a lock for your locker. And Security is on duty 24 hours a day tokeep anyone out who shouldnt be there. The hab 1 rooms might seem a little cramped at times but the only yime your there is to sleep change clothes or get ready in the mornings or for bed. Typic;y your roommates will be from youre team but you may have people from oyther teams in there as will and thats a given in hab 2. There really are no lights to read by at night without lighting up the wole room Top or bottom bunk is a matter of preferance. Be ware thougb the rooms especially in hab 1 get pretty cold at night you might want to bring sweat pants and a sweat shirt if you dont like the cold.

Also Aviation Challenge all programs are housed over at the AC compound in the Barn also known as hab 3 it also has larger rooms similar to hab 2 to giuve it the more military feel. Bathrooms are seperate from the bays there as well.Though the bays do contain a room for AC counselors to sleep in as well thats connected to it.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

ok to start, it depends on what program that you are in as to what hab you will be in, if you are sa or aa you are in hab I which is the one that looks like a space station, hab II is for sc, and the barn at ac, officialy hab III, is for all of the ac kids

i dont know if the doors have locks in hab II but i know that in I and at ac they do not

bathrooms are seperate, they are large community style things

no they arent really cramped, thought the rooms in hab I are small they only have 7 people in them and the bays at ac aare pretty big and in hab II they are huge

top bunks are ok as long as they arent right under an air vent then they are really cold

the majority of the time yes your temamates will be your roomates

yes you can read

no, no one watches you sleep

and there is no worst bay
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

ok you must have posted that while i was typing lol, and there is a way to read in hab I, the light over the table usualy doesnt bother anyone
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

If you want to read abook at night in Hab2 (for Space Camp) you can bring a mini flashlight with you. Just remember to bring new batteries and put them in when you get there.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

Iknow these quesiotns have already been answered but i wanted to put my insight in it. I've only been in Hab1 so I'll give my answers from mostly that point of view.
How do I know what hab I'll be in?
Easy. SpaceCamp(SC) is housed in Hab2, while SpaceAcademy(SA) and Advanced Space Academy (ASA) are in Hab1. Hab1&2 are in diferent buildings but right next door. Hab1 is 4 floors with 3 floors of dorms (floor1-entrance; floor2-boys; floor3-parent/child and cousnelors???not too sure; floor4-girls) and Hab2 is saparated into two large bays, one for girls and one for boys.
Do the bays have locks on the doors?
Hab2: I'm pretty sure....

Hab1: No. LoL no they dont. The doors are giant hollow plastic squares that sound as if the berlin wall is collapsing as u open them. u could open them using one finger.
Do they have bathrooms in them too?
Hab2: There are bathrooms ajoining to the bays.

Hab1:No. Each floor shares about...6 bathrooms (i think) so yeah they're like community-style bathrooms.... the closest thing you get to a bathroom in your room is a mirror that's hard to see out of lol.
Are they cramped?
Hab2: i doubt it. I've only seen them empty but they're huge.

Hab1: meh, it depends. There is very little floor space and if everyone walking around it can get a little jumbled.
Do I want the top bunk?
Hab2: n/a
Hab1: This is a very good question. My first year i was in 206 and i slept on the top bunk. in sweatpants, hat, and sweatshirt. with 3 blankets. i dont even think you're allowed three blankets but i got three blankets. That bunk was FREEZING. My other two years i slept on top and was fine. (rooms 206 and 208) gues it just depends.
Are roommates teammates?
Hab1: Yes, usually. For boys you're usually broken up into two diferent roms with you're teamates (because of the amount that go there) but with girls you might have so much extra beds in your room that they'll combine you with another group of girls. Also if u have 15 boys and only 7 beds in each room, they may put the odd man out in another group's room. This is rare.
Can you read with your light in the bay?
Hab2: yes if u somehow conceal every ray of that flashlight from everyone else.

Hab1: you have two lights in your room. Ceiling lights and Desk Lights. At night desk lights are ideal because you cannot see it thru the large gaps in your dorm door. No one usually minds it on in your group.

Do people really watch you sleep?
Hab2: they probably do rounds or something

Hab1: Counselors are stationed on each floor because they hate talking kids. Sorry counselors, but at night, you really, really, hate. talking. kids. By around 12 they go home and night guards take over, usually just one per floor or so patrolling the corridors. No one watches u sleep. Unless u have a stalker-like roomate. [[great time for ducttape]]
What is the worst bay?
Hab2:Since there is only one male bay and one female bay (i think). It'll be kind of hard to find out and it wouldnt really matter.

Hab1: In my 3 experiences, room 204.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually i believe hab 2 has several bays unless attendance has really dropped off drasticly. Atleast i seem to remember more than 2 back in 91 when i stayed there. Also Hab 2 top bunks do apply because they have bunk beds pretty much like the ac onesmore traditional than the hab 1 bunks. I too ussualy prefered bottom bunk even tho0ough 3 of the 4 years i ended up in top bunks it was easier to get in and out of a bottom bunk first thing in the morning if your not quite awake yet or in the middle of the night for a bathroom run. I believe hab 2 actually had bays on both floors once upon a time but now i believe they are only on the lower floor. Which i believe someone said was actually the original space camp dorm that once upon a time had the original training center on top of it where hab 2 now sits.

I also see the floor arrangement seems to have changed in hab 1 the last time i was there academy was on floor 2, asa on floor 3 and girls on floor 4and since parent child was weekends it was wherever they had the open space. My last camp session in98 was on a weird week that started in the middle of the week so we were there over a weekend and they pt parent child on the second floor. Keep in mind i was always there with 1 exception in peak season and even my april 93 trip was crowded so the arrangements may vary in the off season i don't know.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

yeah there are at least 5 bays tht i know of
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I know way back in 91 the hqab 2 bays were all named for constellations. I only remember 2 of them Orion which back then was a boys bay and Sagitarius which back then was a girls bay i know there were others though just dont remember the names. I also remember once upon a time the nurses office was on the top floor of hab 2 instead of the bottom even had a room with beds in it for sick campers.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

LB206 wrote:I know way back in 91 the hqab 2 bays were all named for constellations. I only remember 2 of them Orion which back then was a boys bay and Sagitarius which back then was a girls bay i know there were others though just dont remember the names. I also remember once upon a time the nurses office was on the top floor of hab 2 instead of the bottom even had a room with beds in it for sick campers.

It still has bunkbeds for sick kids they're just kind of hidden. They tried to make me sleep in them because i was allergic to the hab... :lol:
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

dont most of the counselors have rooms in the bay's hallways? I remember walking thru sagittarius and seeing small rooms and counselors coming out of them...
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

some do but as far as i know most of them are in hab1
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

None of the bays in ANY hab have locks on the doors. The only rooms with locks on them belong to counselors.

The third floor in Hab 1 is used as overflow for anything - sometimes boys, sometimes girls, sometimes both, weekends it's for PC families who have a member of each sex (a mom and her son, a dad and his daughter, etc).

Hab 2 has fewer bays than it used to. They've been converting bays into office space and into classroom space. Pegasus (which was a classroom most recently) now houses the scheduling and planning dept. Leo is being used as a temporary office for accounting and possibly for HR while their offices are moved out of the way of the Saturn V building. And Sagitarius is being converted into a classroom for the 8-day and 12-day programs up-top.

Counselor rooms at the lake (hab 3) are inside the camper bays. In Hab 1, they are spread around each floor, with rooms on the end (bubble rooms) and rooms in the middle (pie rooms). Hab 2 has rooms along the central hallway to Challenger Auditorium (A-6 through A-11) for females, and rooms in the downstairs male bays (B-rooms) for the male counselors primarily.

Hab 3 and Hab 2 both have the large barracks style rooms, while hab 1 is 7-person rooms. All bathrooms are communal, but the showers are individual stalls - though in Hab 1 (and possibly Hab 2) they are sometimes separated only by a curtain.
AC M2/M2-12 day counselor 05/06 Repeat
AC MIII W 43-03 (Jolly Rogers)
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
AC MIII W 49-01 (Silver Eagles)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MIII 47-00 (Gun Slingers)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I always hyated those showers with just the curtains mopt ,uch privacy and nowhere to keep clothes closeby that wasnt crowded with everyone elses stuff too. Hqad to use them when i went to camp in 91 and once in 98.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

i've ended up with those both times at aa, but i can deal with it, much better than the ones after a fb practice with 40 guys and NO curtains lol
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Only reason i used one in 98 was we didnt wake up easrly that morning to avoid the crowd since we overslept. We had woken up early all week and had no problems. And that last morning for us was the first for most people at camp so it was even more chaotic than normal.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008