Questions about ASA

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

I wish their were more pics of people on the Sims that i could see.
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

i have alot of pictures of people on the MAT here:
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos? ... ity=fKMsLh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

If you want simulator pictures i iknow i have some on http://spacecamp.ibnerd.net
when it getws up and running again i think i have some of sims under almost every year i went but i know the 2005 picture album has about the first 20 pages or so of nothing but people using the simulators so if the page gets up and running agin you might want to check that out.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

The page is up and running now... has been for over a week! :D
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

Repeat wrote:Hey Landon,

I can't answer all your questions, because I have never worked ASA, but I went to ASA three times as a camper (as recent as 2003), so I'll try to answer your questions from that experience.

First off, it is never required that you ride any of the simulators - if you don't like Space Shot - don't go on it. You'll have to hang out in the rocket park in the hot sun while your team rides on it, but I can just about guarantee you won't be the only one not riding.

As for the "spinny thing that makes you feel the g-pressure" - yes and no. You will ride the G-Force out in Rocket Park, which lets on about 30-40 people and spins you around and lets you feel pressure (presuming you don't have any of the disqualifying medical conditions). You will not ride on the centrifuge, the two person capsule used to train pilots to handle g-forces, as that's only used at Aviation Challenge.

If you sign up for the pilot track (assuming it hasn't changed much since 2003 in this respect), you'll have three one hour mission in which you'll have a pilot position in Mission Control (flight director or capcom), on the Orbiter (pilot or commander) and in the space station (flight engineer 1 or 2). For the EDM, you and the rest of your teammates in your track will decide who will fly where - MOCR stays for the entire 6 hours, while Station and Orbiter crews switch at the half-way point.

As far as "how real" the EDM is - the missions here are pretty realistic. However, the EDM often has a lot of goofiness and medical anomalies and mishaps. It's probably the least serious of the four missions you'll fly -t he three training missions will be more realistic simply because you'll be going through the missions instead of trying to solve SO many different types of anomalies - at least, that was my experience as a camper. The Enterprise (our ASA orbiter simulator) has a cargo bay attached to the crew compartment where the MSes will complete their EVAs. Because of that, the orbiter does not have the capability of moving during flight, but the loud noise from the blast-off will cause some vibrations.

As for why the space camp website shows only one track available per week, I have three possible thoughts: one, the other track is full up; two, the website is under construction and it's an error; three, they've changed something since I was there, and I have no clue.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Remember I'm speaking (mostly) from my experiences as a camper, and not as a counselor, so some of this information may be out of date (the questions about Space Shot/G-Force are correct).

Heyy,
I promise you you will have a good time, the counsillors don't make a big deal about bossing you around all the time, they make sure you have a good time and treat you like an equal, not like a child in ASA. It's great fun, i promise. You get to do the UAT simulator and everything, which is relaly fun, and if you have asthma, they let you swim at the top while everyone else is diving, it's still fun, since i couldn't dive. And you don't have to do anything you don't want to do, they wouldn't make you, i mean you have to go to your hab at night and attend breifings and stuff, but other than that anything you don't want to do they won't force you, and truthfully, pilot isn't very fun, the commander position is the one that actually gets to fly the shuttle. I didn't have much fun as pilot, since i'm slow at switches and stuff, and when you only have about 10 seconds to do it to live...Yeah lol, it was funny, on our 1 hour we all 'died'. It was great fun though. On the EDM you do a lot no matter what position you are, and you have training with your 4 other missions beforehand, so it's not too bad, it's actually quite enjoyable. I was in mission control as Mission Scientist and INco during my mission, as my team was only of 12 and we didn't have enough people to fill all positions. I really enjoyed it, and i think you will too, if you give it a chance. I hope you do, becuase i know many people who really have enjoyed it. Hope you decide to go. BYe.
ps. I'll post up my pics from camp on here soon, i have plenty of me on the sims and stuff. The sims are awesome.
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
raplie
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by raplie »

I have a question about ASA myself...
is there a pilot/scuba for 13 day?
because if so, it's not listed on my booklet-thingy.

just wondering...
and I was wondering what the average age is?
More 17-18 or more of the younger ones 15-16?
want to make sure I'm not surrounded by A LOT of people older than me.
I'm one of those people who hides in a hole socially lol :P
though I'm usually fine making friends at camp...