Hey guys...

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Right Stuff
Camper
Camper

Hey guys...

Post by Right Stuff »

Well i just received the call last Tuesday that i won a scholarship to AC Mach III ... i entered the contest thing in december... and im going to the AC April 30-May 5th!!! Im really excited!!! i didnt think i would get the scholarship but here i am... anyways... like i said ill be attending the Mach III program... this will be my first and hopefully not the last time i go to AC or Space camp! ... i just stumbled across this site, and thought id tell my story and stuff... im sure ill think of some questions about camp in the next few days leading up to camp... but yea if u have any advice that would be awesome! Thanks.
Aviation Challenge Mach III April 30-May 5
Team: Blacklions
Team Leader: Callsign Pooky
My Callsign: SPAM (as origional Mercury 7 astronauts were called "spam in a can")
Others Callsigns on team: Sheila, Comet, Jetlag, Nemo, Squack
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

u suck how can i go (for free) ive never been :x :evil:
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

What scholarship did you win?
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

lol an unofficial one
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

You will have so much fun!!! I promise. I did Mach 3... 5 times I think... Early summer and Christmas are the best... so you're lucky in my opinion. If you have any questions just ask me... Maybe I can answer... I haven't been to AC since high school. It's the best place in the world though... I think I was what they call an AC addict... the counselors couldn't get rid of me...
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

must be nice to have that kinda money, i wish i could go once
Right Stuff
Camper
Camper

Post by Right Stuff »

yea i won the Official: The USSRC Scholarship .... the one advertized at spacecamp.com... like 370 people entered it and only 30 won so its awesome... everything is free except for theflight cost fro Jacksonville, Fl, to Huntsville... which is agoodbit.. but hey camps free.. its a big deal though... they told me i wouldbe in the paper and stuff... but the important thing is i getto go to AC FOR FREE AND IN 11 DAYS!!!! so this proves it the scholraships are winnable! lol
My Callsign: SPAM (as origional Mercury 7 astronauts were called "spam in a can")
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Congratulations!! I won the same scholarship back in 1999, but I chose to go to Advanced Space Academy instead.

You are going to have an amazing time.

Bring a camera, and take pictures of your team mates and the activities. They make great memories. I also kept a journal.

Another great souvenir is having everyone sign your camp shirt at graduation. That, or in a notebook or something.

Don't bring too much stuff - just clothes and whatever else they list on your confirmation kit (swimsuit, toiletries, shoes, sunscreen, hat, etc.) Oh, and bring a pen and small notepad - they will come in handy, especially at Aviation Challenge (AC for short).

Lastly, be sure to write up a letter after camp detailing your experience and thanking USSRC for the scholarship. I did this too, and I do this for every scholarship I get - shows them how much you appreciate the scholarship.

No, I don't get lots of scholarships for Space Camp - I only got one. I do get scholarships from Girl Guides though, to attend camps and stuff, and writing them a letter and sending them some pictures is the least I can do to show my gratitude for the money they give me.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Right Stuff
Camper
Camper

Post by Right Stuff »

Ok yea ill write them after i get back... man i cant wait im soo excited!!!
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

do a lot of people go in the winter?
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

It is the 'off-season', but like Soccer said, they put through 40,000 this past winter! That's a whole lot! I have been to Space Camp in autumn twice. Both times we had smaller groups in summer.
- Jennifer -
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

Christmas Camp is the best! AC is the best (of course I am biased). I love Christmas Camp though, the only thing is if your AC you don't get to do the helo dunker and zipline for water activities. We went to another pool though the 3 times I went, I remember doing pushups in the snow... for fun... I'm sure we coulda said no (had to add that so people don't get mad). Bring shoes you can ruin and throw away later. :D They will be orange with E&E and stuff. Have fun! I am so jealous!!!! AC counselors rock too... :)
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

I told my mom that you guys said Christmas was the lowest time and she said August.. 8O ..
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Show her the 'Dates and Rates' website on the Space Camp website. It gives you prices for all the available weeks at camp.

http://datesandrates.spacecamp.com/AVL

The cheap rate ($699 for ASA) does begin the week of 20 - 25 August. It runs through to the End of January, I think...
- Jennifer -
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

I LOVE CHRISTMAS CAMP AT AC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
words cannot describe how addictive christmas camp is. :D
plus, AC counselors are WAY cool.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

You know whats bad cost wise. The tuition for the peak season for space camp is now the same as i paid to go to advanced academy in 1998 during the peak season. Heck when i went to Space Camp in July 91 tuition was only 499. Now its 899.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

To be fair, inflation plays a reasonably large role in that, but tuition has gone up a bit (but only a little bit if you can get in on a discount)

$899 in 2005 dollars is about $637 in 1991 dollars.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Re: Hey guys...

Post by Space Nerd »

Right Stuff wrote:Well i just received the call last Tuesday that i won a scholarship to AC Mach III ... i entered the contest thing in december... and im going to the AC April 30-May 5th!!! Im really excited!!! i didnt think i would get the scholarship but here i am... anyways... like i said ill be attending the Mach III program... this will be my first and hopefully not the last time i go to AC or Space camp! ... i just stumbled across this site, and thought id tell my story and stuff... im sure ill think of some questions about camp in the next few days leading up to camp... but yea if u have any advice that would be awesome! Thanks.
I'm a little late on this one but i just wanted to say Congratulations and that you'll have an amazing time! Be sure to share your stories when you get back! :D
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Right Stuff
Camper
Camper

Post by Right Stuff »

No prob. thanks... im sure ill have many stories! lol... uggg... the only thing that stinks is having to wait for 7 MORE DAYS!!! ugg... it stinks... is it saturday yet??? ...
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Man that brings back memories. The two worse things about going to space camp the waiting to leave especially that last week though i'm sure you'll be busy getting ready to go. I assume your still in the midst of a school year i went in april 2003 and that last week of school before going was the worst.
The second bad thing about going to camp and the worst of all is leaving to go home. They about had to pry me away to get me to leave each time. Count yourself lucky we live in a day where we have emails and the internet where communications is so easy. My first 2 trips none of us had internet access and the third trip very few had it so sadly we lost contact over the years i guss none of us were great letter writers.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador