Need to know what to do.

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Need to know what to do.

Post by DanM »

I'm going to Space Camp this summer. I need to know what to do. I'll probally fly in birmingham, stay a night, and check in. Should I do this. How much money should I bring? I want to by a baseball cap for me, and some space food, and other stuff I see there. Do people watch you sleep? What should I do if I have Bubbles? Do boys and girls have seperate bays. What should I add or change to my list:
-Stuffed animal
-money
-hat
-allergy meds
-other meds
-medic-allert dogtag
-kneepads
-duck tape
-digital camera
-130 picture sandisk
-underwater disposable camera
-steno pad or notebook
-swimsuit
- 1 t-shirt
- 5 pairs of shorts
-sweatpants
-flightsuit ordered before camp
-toothbrush
-toothpaste
-retainer

and thats all I can think of!
Once again, give answers and help add or change my list.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

First, unless you have a means of transportation to Huntsville, I would strongly recommend you not fly into Birmingham. It's about 100 miles between the two cities.
CampGirlKelly
Camper
Camper

Post by CampGirlKelly »

a representative from camp will be in huntsville to pick you up, so i would not recommend flying anywhere else.

... and i would suggest adding soap to your list, or else you are going to have some very unhappy teammates :-P

kelly
Don't hang up your dancing slippers!

ASA -- Spring Break 2000
ASA -- Spring Break 1999
ASA -- Spring Break 1998
AC Mach III -- Spring Break 1997
SA Level 1 -- Spring Break 1996
SC Florida -- Spring Break 1995
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

I'm going too like oh mah gawd. Should I ride a train? Not really all that excided to fly after watching a few episodes of Seconds from Disaster and Final Destination. I live in Richmond, Virgina. I rode a train to DisneyWorld and it took like 24 hours cause we got delayed both times. Should I go alone I'm 17 and my mom wants to stay somewhere on site :x

Also a question I've been dying to know.. what does it smell like there? i hope it dosen't stink. Ill bring some Axe anyway.
Last edited by Fatal291 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

1. Go to Huntsville.

2. Bring some soap and shampoo (Please).

3. No one watches you sleep, but there is security in the building.

4. Boys and girls are in different rooms.

5. Bring a change of clothes for every day your there.

Fatal - Space Camp smells like space, and sweaty kid grease.
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

What happens if you go in the girls bunk and get caught
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

Trip home on your parents dime.
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

Bring more than one shirt!!! EEWIE!!! It's so nasty hot in Huntsville in summer, no one wants you to be stinky... Also add underwear and socks. :D I had the longest lists to camp, I think one year I forgot t-shirts though I thought Grunt was gonna kill me. :D I'm a blonde. But yeah... keep clean, people tend to get kinda mad if you smell... Space Camp is fun though... :) Hope you have a blast!
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

To DanM:

1. Space Camp will provide you with a packing list. (bring 4-5 shirts, soap, and shampoo, among other things)

2. Why are you bringing knee pads? You won't need them!

3. Don't bring too much spending money - only enough to buy what you want plus $3 for dippin dots. Look at the Space Camp online store for prices.

4. Fly into Huntsville and use Space Camp's transportation option. It's the best way to get to camp.

To Fatal291:

Unless you are asking for mischief, it is not easy to accidentally end up in the girl's rooms. Boys and girls are on separate floors and the rooms are different colours.

I don't think the train even goes to Huntsville... You are best to take a plane. If your mum is coming with you, she can stay at the Mariott hotel. it is right beside Space Camp - they share the same car park. She won't be allowed into the camp though, just the visitor centre (museum) and rocket park if she pays admission.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

If you really dont want to fly i believe Greyhound Bus Lines still goes to Huntsville but when i checked into it in 98 when getting ready to go to camp also from VA it was also a 24 hour bus ride. Definately fly or take a bus into Huntsville. If you want to get there early and can pay the fee then go as an early arrival someone will meet you at the airport or bus station and you'll be at camp the day before most people but there will be others there. You might even meet a few members of your team that day before everyone else arrives. But even if noone form your team is there you'll meet alot of cool people i arrived early in 96 and it was great. Late Departure can also be nicce because you get to spend an extra day there believe me you wont want to leave. As everyone else says clothes for every day of the week are important because believe me you are going to sweat alot also make sure tobring some deoderant or antiperspirant. I know the first time i went to camp alot of people thought wearing there flight suit every day would be the cool thing to do i can tell you now dont even think about it because it will be very ripe withing a few days in the alabama heat. So plan on wearing plain summer clothes most of the week and your flight suit maybe on days where you have your mission. Which program are you going to Space Camp or one of the older ones?
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

definately fly one of the coolest things is getting on the plane to huntsville and finding other campers, ive made quite a few friends that way and actually ended up on teams with a couple of them
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

ASA. Also are their any good programs here?
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

Who wrote: Boys and girls are in different rooms.
THANK YOU MR. BUCKBEE!
:D :D :D :D :D
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Fatal291 wrote:ASA. Also are their any good programs here?
You don't make much sense. All of Space Camp and Aviation Challenge's programmes are extremely high on the satisfaction, awesome, and adventure scales.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

MAYTAG wrote:definately fly one of the coolest things is getting on the plane to huntsville and finding other campers, ive made quite a few friends that way and actually ended up on teams with a couple of them
I have to agree flying is the best way to arrive especially if you have to fly through Atlanta because your just about guaranteed to have someone else from camp on your flight i know i always did. Last Summer i went down to Huntsvillefor an educator confrence and a brief ammount of time at corporate space camp. Well on the flight from Atlanta to huntsville they just happened to sit all the kids going to space camp all arround me and the person i was traveling with. It was great to see so many people as excited to be going to space camp as i use to be when i went.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

I was talking to LB206 cause he seems to be in my area
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Depending on where you are. The Virginia Air and Space Center in Hampton is a great museum its where i work. if you're close enough we have volunteer and employment oppurtunities deopending on age. Even if you're too far away to work there then i would suggest atleast visiting and checking the place out. We're nowhere near as big as the museum in huntsville but we do have some real space hardware as well as alot of aircraft. We are the visitor center for NASA Langley Research center and Langley Air Force Base. The centerpiece of the collection has to be the Apollo 12 Command module that flew to the moon in november of 69. If you get a chance to check it out before camp i think you would enjoy it. If you are going to Advanced academy then you would be too old for any of the day camp programs we have. I thought you mentioned something about richmond you may also want tocheck into the science museum there for volunteer/emoployment oppurtunities as well as programs they may have.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

Yeah I'm from Richmond, I'm not even 30 minutes from the city I'm right on the border of Richmond/Henrico.. well anyways If you've ever been to the Science Museum here it isen't really much to offer on Astronomy other than the skywatch program.
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

yeah im on kinda a rampage of posting on all first timers builittens....it gets me in the mood for camp.

I'll do DanM first:
1)go to huntsville direct. think thats already been established. thats prety much the only way ppl go. on place to huntsville. Delta stop in atlanta or Cincinatti between flights mostly. Ive met kids in georgia thru the Unaccompanied Minor program (great for kids in SC and SA) and had no idea we were going to camp untill we got there.

2)boys and girls have separate dorms for better or worse lol....srry...thats my perverted side coming out.....yepp my first year all the phones were taken on my floor so i went onto the girls floor unknowingly and got in big trouble.

3)Yeah ummm u should change the one t-shirt thing...no offense thats kinda gross. i find it funny how u feel u hsould bring 5 pairs of shorts tho. thats alot of shorts. Yeah every year there is one kid who refuses to shower. We basically force him into a showerhead with his clothes on. tahts how bad it smelt. please shower. or atleast lather on the axe and dont tell anyone about it!

4)not many ppl get allergies in the summermonths but hey what do i know about u. Medic-alert dog tags are not needed at all. U give all ur info including emergency numbers and addresses to the facility before u arrive. Counselors know who u are by the first two hours tops after u meet them.

5.the water is not clear at all. not very good picture taking water. especially for a disposable. Even if you're taking them above water and just in the water, itll waste valuable fun time.

Nooooowwww
Fatal291

1) yeah dont get caught on that floor, in an elevator going to that floor, on any staircase above yours, yeah...i once was on the second floor and was trying to get a girl to realize i was screaming to her cuz i had to ask her something and four counselors came up to me and were where do u think youre going? u go up there, you go home....yeah....thats probably the strictest thing at camp. PDA. in any form. It's basically the devil....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Re: Need to know what to do.

Post by Space Nerd »

DanM wrote:I'm going to Space Camp this summer. I need to know what to do. I'll probally fly in birmingham, stay a night, and check in. Should I do this. How much money should I bring? I want to by a baseball cap for me, and some space food, and other stuff I see there. Do people watch you sleep? What should I do if I have Bubbles? Do boys and girls have seperate bays. What should I add or change to my list:
-Stuffed animal
-money
-hat
-allergy meds
-other meds
-medic-allert dogtag
-kneepads
-duck tape
-digital camera
-130 picture sandisk
-underwater disposable camera
-steno pad or notebook
-swimsuit
- 1 t-shirt
- 5 pairs of shorts
-sweatpants
-flightsuit ordered before camp
-toothbrush
-toothpaste
-retainer

and thats all I can think of!
Once again, give answers and help add or change my list.
As far as the underwater disposable camera goes don't be too surprised if your pictures don't turn out.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over