flight suits or clothing packages

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

christina260
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

flight suits or clothing packages

Post by christina260 »

Hello everyone, my son's trip to space camp is comming near and I am wondering what everyone thinks about buying the flight suit and clothing packages. Should I buy him these things? Is everyone going to be wearing them? He is going to camp July 10-15 so I know it is going to be very hot, will he get the chance to wear the flight suit with out dying from the heat? Let me know your thoughts or suggestions. Also is there any where to buy used flight suits? I hate to spend 80.00 dollars on something he will out grow in a year?
Thanks
Christina
(Kyle's Mom)
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

You can usually find flight suits on eBay. More often than not though, they are the old powder blue ones and not the newer royal blue ones...
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

The clothing packages are something a lot of people wear. There especially handy if you don't want to pack extra sweats, they have a pair of sweats in them. When I went my first year, I expected it to be warm in the hab, it wasn't, so having the clothing package was nice, I could put my sweats and sweatshirt on at night. A lot of people wear their t-shirts around, I know I did.

As to the flight suits, the newer ones are much prettier, lol. When I went, I bought one I'd grow into, then (since it was a big to big at the time) used one of the camps flight suits for missions. I like seeing my flight suit hanging in my closet, but I always used a camp one while I was there. For me it's more of a memory thing than anything else . . .not to mention a great Halloween costume!
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Flight suits are pretty cool to have when you're there, but think about it... there's nothing to do with it when you get home, except the Halloween thing, and that's about it... so dunno, maybe you shouldn't. They're not required, so only the people who buy them (Space Camp and Academly level, that is) wear them around, and there's really no need to... so I'd actually say don't get one unless you really think it'd be a cool souvenir.
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

*grumbles* if the weather keeps staying like it is for this week it isn't going to be mid 90s...lifeguarding when the high is 69 isn't fun.. the highest we get all week is 81!
~Siobhan
Space Camp 2000 - Cygnus- wk 38
Space Academy 2001 - IO- wk 36
Space Academy 2002 - Galileo- wk 38
Adv. Space Academy 2003 - Von Braun- 36
Adv. Space Academy 2004 - Von Braun- 37
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

From my experience at US Space Camp I would recommend purchasing a clothing package but not a flight suit. Flight suits are quite expensive and most people rarely wear them after they come home from camp. On the other hand, the clothing packages act as an excellent souvenir and your son can wear the clothes both at camp and at home. Order the clothing package a bit larger than your son usually wears so he can grow into it and wear it for a few years.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I obviously cant predict how your son will feel but if its affordable for you i would get a flight suit. If he's at all interested in space it will probably mean a lot to him to wear it. Perhaps i'm just weird like that lol. Hey it always makes a great halloween costume or show and tell item! It also makes the missions a little extra special. However, the clothing package is very neat too so really either one would be cool!
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

Space Nerd wrote:I obviously cant predict how your son will feel but if its affordable for you i would get a flight suit. If he's at all interested in space it will probably mean a lot to him to wear it. Perhaps i'm just weird like that lol. Hey it always makes a great halloween costume or show and tell item! It also makes the missions a little extra special. However, the clothing package is very neat too so really either one would be cool!
Those are some of the reasons I love my flight suit. Another use I had for it . . .my mom is a teacher (1st grade) and her class did space as a theme. One day I went in to volunteer, and to go with their theme, I wore my flight suit and we did a model of the solar system. It was lots of fun.
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

well i love having my own fight suit at ac especially because i am a bigger guy and most of the time the councellors have a hard time finding one that fits me, its usually no problem at aa though they always seem to be bigger there
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

a flight suit is also nice to have if you end up becoming an addict like some of the people on here (not me of course).
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Or if you're such an addict that you'd like to have one of your senior pictures taken in one like me! :lol:
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

honestly the flight suits are a waste of money. I mean, cmon, your child will most likely never wear them after camp. Atleast i didnt. The Sweatpants and Sweatshirt are nice. You get a free t-shirt so dont bother buying one. :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Space Nerd wrote:Or if you're such an addict that you'd like to have one of your senior pictures taken in one like me! :lol:
Ummm....is that really a sign of addiction? If so then I guess I have more of an addiction than I thought. I DID have one of my senior pictures taken in mine.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

:lol: I dont know if its actually a sign of addiction but we figured that since space camp is such a large part of my life and my high school years we might as well include it in the pictures! It was fun!
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Yeah, that was kinda the reasoning behind mine too.
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

stargazer0105 wrote:
Space Nerd wrote:Or if you're such an addict that you'd like to have one of your senior pictures taken in one like me! :lol:
Ummm....is that really a sign of addiction? If so then I guess I have more of an addiction than I thought. I DID have one of my senior pictures taken in mine.
That's great! I don't think I'll be wearing mine for my senior picture . . . I actually have no idea what I'm going to wear. I guess I should really start thinking, I'm getting it done soon.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Well i had multiple pictures taken so i had many other outfits in addition to my flight suit. It worked out well and they're all hanging on my dining room wall. :lol:
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Same here, but for some reason everyone wanted wallets of the one in my flight suit. They say that's the way the picture me. I dunno. Maybe I have more of a problem than i originally thought :P .
shenandoah04
Counselor
Counselor

Flight Suit

Post by shenandoah04 »

Me in Mission Control (you know, since everyone in MOCR decks out in flight suits:)) at Space Camp &
Me after Space Camp, in my high school's library, I don't even remember why, it was either Halloween or some presentation I gave, but I was wearing it after camp!
The size thing could be a bit of a problem, I know it is for me... I was just barely too big for a small, but not big enough for a medium, and I wound up with the medium- later I got it altered... and now it looks funny on me, but I still wear it just 'cause it's COOL:) Even if he grows out of it, he will probably find some reason or way to wear it. Especially if he's really into Space Camp and space.
...I didn't get a pack, I didn't get the sweats and whatnot, back then we had the option to just get the flight suit. So that's what I did, since you do get the shirt free, although the pack could come in handy! I went to Space Camp 3, 4, and 5 years ago, and I don't wear the Academy shirt anymore (due to that it's signed by Homer Hickam---October Sky!!:)) but I still wear my ASA shirts and it's probably about time I retired them... :oops: That's just my take:)
Lisα
---
2000/Week 41/Team Atlas
2001/Week 41/ Team Shepard
2002/Week 39/Team Gagarin
SC/Robotics Counselor 2009 :mrgreen:
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

The firstv year i went i got both. And had such a great experiance i feel like my 6th grade class though my whole wardrobe was space camp stuff. Though back then they had 2 clothing packages one with 2 t-shirts and 2 shorts and the other with 1 t shirt, one shorts, 1 sweatpants, and 1 sweatshirt. i got the summer one. But i still wore my space camp flight suit whenever i could after camp granted i was only going into 6th grade. If your son is of camp age he may get more use out of the flight suit just for fun like i use to do if older maybe not. I still have mine and i havent been able to wear it in 11 years. If you can get both then go for it. If all else fails give him the money and he could get one in the gift shop down there if everyone has one and he really wants one. And there is always the flight jacket option as well.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador