$$$ and Bunks- not a "REAL" first timer

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

$$$ and Bunks- not a "REAL" first timer

Post by spacegirl129 »

I am not a REAL first timer. I went to SC last year and I am curious. How much $$$ should I bring? What's ^ with the new cell phone issue? And which bunk should I sleep in? Anything special to bring? I am in a knot thinking of what i should do. I talked to some people and SUPPOSEDLY :
"SPACE ACADEMY IS SO SO SO MUCH DIFFERENT THAN SPACE CAMP"
spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

sorry about the semi-stupid post
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

From what i know (having only attended academy and advanced academy) its not all that different really. Think of it as a step up. You'll still be doing a lot of the same things but the ones you do now may be more involved and detailed. The cell phone issue is that they probably wont bug you if you have them to call your parents at night or in the morning but dont take them to briefings or other scheduled things and dont keep your room up talking on one in the middle of the night. Also, if it gets stolen they arnt responsible for it. As for money i guess it depends on what you're planning to spend the money on. If i were you i would take some for the gift shop should you want a t-shirt or something and a little for the dippin dots machine. :lol: I guess it depends on how much you can afford but if you have it at least 20 dollars ought to insure that you get some cool loot to remember your week by.

I know that advanced academy has the option to purchase a 10 dollar mission patch for thier week but i dont know about academy. Perhaps vincent or one of the other counselors could share some info on that!

I hope that answered your questions fairly well. :D
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

Thank you!!!!!!!
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Every program has the option to purchase the Mission Patch.
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

SC space camp?
well 1 tahts not an official space camp so just to let u know this ones gunna bee alot better.

$100-$200

bring 15 one dollar bills for vending machines.
if a counselor sees a cell phone in your possesion they wont give it back untill the end of camp.

well it all depends... if your legs usually hurt in the morning i would reccomnd sleeping on the bottom bunks cuz u usually have to jump off the tops in the morning thanks to the freezing cold, round, metal ladder bars. but then again, its more fun to sleep on top IF u get the right bed/ room. U may have picked a freezing cold bed and theres no way to find out untill u wake up shivereing in the night. i always sleep on the top.

Space Academy is ALOT diferent than camp. Camp is for little kids. They do a mission where they go on MARS (aka room with mars picutres on the walls and red dirt everywhere). They dont learn as much cuz they're little. The counselors treat them like, well, kids.
Academy does TWO space missions that are evaluated. The counselors treat them like regular people (which will be hard for the sheltered procial school/ rich / loner kids). You have more educatiing time in the museum.
lotsa more diferences i cant think of right now
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

I'd say get a bunk on the floor level, it was always easier for me. Mine was on the floor right next to the door both years, I loved it. I didn't have to worry about disturbing anyone when I got down, and could easily store my stuff under my bed because I had full constant access to it. Not to mention it was right across from my locker, so I never had to travel far in my room.
Drumrollz
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Drumrollz »

rycho626 wrote: if a counselor sees a cell phone in your possesion they wont give it back untill the end of camp.
I think you really have to TRY to get it taken away for them to actually confiscate it. They're not gonna care if you're using it during free time, to call home or anything.
SA July 2001

ASA July 2002

ASA July 2003

ASA 8-Day July 2004

ASA 8-Day X-Mas 2004

"Happy New Year! OH WAIT, IT'S NOT THE NEW YEAR YET."
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

they did both times i tried to use it/ when my friends uysed theres, sparky
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

A lot of people I roomed with had cell phones out to call home when we were on free time, no counselors seemed to care.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

I would also say they don't care if you call during time off.

As for bunks, I think all these people that get cold are insane. I always sleep on the bed above the desk, and it's always quite a good sleep for me... who knows. You probably want to listen to them as opposed to me, though.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

rhycho where did u get this thing about cell phones they wont take it away at the most they'll just tell you to put it away
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

MAYTAG is right...i've never seen them take up cell phones. When counselors walk in the room at night multiple people have been on the phone and nothing happened...I also agree about the bunk above the desk...i've almost always slept there and i think it's the best....especially for late night card games...we would all hang out in that corner and play games...that corner hides flash light rays... :)
~Siobhan
Space Camp 2000 - Cygnus- wk 38
Space Academy 2001 - IO- wk 36
Space Academy 2002 - Galileo- wk 38
Adv. Space Academy 2003 - Von Braun- 36
Adv. Space Academy 2004 - Von Braun- 37
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Heres the thing guys. We're all talking about cell phone usage in advanced academy and rycho attended academy. We dont really know what their policy is for the younger kids... Though i'm still quite sure that if you're ONLY using it during the normal call home times that it wont be a problem.

Also i think she meant SC as in U.S. Space Camp which is still an official program.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

yes, I did mean U.S. Space Camp.
Last edited by spacegirl129 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

rycho626 wrote:SC space camp?
well 1 tahts not an official space camp so just to let u know this ones gunna bee alot better.

$100-$200

bring 15 one dollar bills for vending machines.
if a counselor sees a cell phone in your possesion they wont give it back untill the end of camp.

well it all depends... if your legs usually hurt in the morning i would reccomnd sleeping on the bottom bunks cuz u usually have to jump off the tops in the morning thanks to the freezing cold, round, metal ladder bars. but then again, its more fun to sleep on top IF u get the right bed/ room. U may have picked a freezing cold bed and theres no way to find out untill u wake up shivereing in the night. i always sleep on the top.

Space Academy is ALOT diferent than camp. Camp is for little kids. They do a mission where they go on MARS (aka room with mars picutres on the walls and red dirt everywhere). They dont learn as much cuz they're little. The counselors treat them like, well, kids.
Academy does TWO space missions that are evaluated. The counselors treat them like regular people (which will be hard for the sheltered procial school/ rich / loner kids). You have more educatiing time in the museum.
lotsa more diferences i cant think of right now
Yeah.... Thanx for calling me the little, rowdy, hyper, uncontrolable, and stupid little kid that I am!!!
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Uhhh.... Right... We use SC to refer to it here so no rudeness to worry about. Just wanted to clear it up since there seemed to be some confusion. :D
Last edited by Space Nerd on Sat May 14, 2005 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

kk.
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

space camp really doesnt lok fun to me. academy is alot better. and i dont know if u think im lying or sukthin but they did take away my cell phone and my friends cell phones
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
shenandoah04
Counselor
Counselor

going to SA!!:)

Post by shenandoah04 »

i've never had my cell phone taken away, though I only brought it once 'cause I didn't get it until 2002 (which is the last year I went---advanced academy though). that year once of my roommates called a fellow teammate alot at night (and we didn't care 'cause our room was pretty close, though I have had rooms that would have minded if someone kept them up with the phone)... a counselor came in a lot to tell us to hush, but never confiscated it.
as far as the beds went, I usually got one in the back of the room far away from the door, because when I got one near the door the lights out in the hallway kept me up. I remember it wasn't WARM, but I was never freezing either. I liked the bottom bunk in the back, 'cause you've got your own little space... very nice.
i have never been to space camp, but I know that academy was a blast!!!... no pun intended. ok maybe just a little.
i remember some of the stuff we did, like the missions and the briefings, and the ISS demonstration, and of course the IMAX, and the museum and the rocket park and the trip to the ISS construction place (off of the USSRC campus) but I think what I remember most is the people! I still keep in touch with many of them! I'm still close with a few!!! And it's been about 5 years!
When are you going? You'll have fun I know!!!:)[/i]
Lisα
---
2000/Week 41/Team Atlas
2001/Week 41/ Team Shepard
2002/Week 39/Team Gagarin
SC/Robotics Counselor 2009 :mrgreen: