my son

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

christina260
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

my son

Post by christina260 »

My son is going to be 9 years old and we are sending him to space camp in Huntsvile at the end of June. Does anyone have any words of advice for him or would anyone like to share there experiences with him. He is going for 6 days and will be going on the space track. His name is Kyle
Thanks
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Tell him to have fun and enjoy the company of those around him! The best advice i could give is to read some of the topics in the this forum and just find out some hints from other campers. Most importantly though is still HAVE FUN! :D
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

It's not uncommon for kids to get homesick...especially (but certainly not exclusively) the younger ones.

Make sure you let him know that he's going because you want him to have fun, and that you'll see him at the end of the week, etc.

And do that a lot before he goes so that he'll feel just fine and enjoy what will hopefully turn out to be an amazing week at an amazing place!
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

i still even get homesick. lol.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

As people have mentioned before, be sure to tell Kyle to have heaps of fun and that you will see him when he gets home. Encourage him to tell you his stories from the week, and maybe even keep a journal of his trip.

Give him a phone card (and teach him how to use it) and encourage him to phone home to talk to you, his parents. I don't know if this is more comforting to the kids or the parents, but it's always nice. Don't get too worried if Kyle doesn't ring home every day, if at all, as schedules are heaps busy during the week, especially in the summer.

Ensure Kyle has a hat (with his name on the inside), as it can get quite warm in Alabama in the summer. The hat provides some much needed shade while outside. Sunscreen is already on the packing list, but don't forget it!

I don't know if Kyle is into taking pictures, but giving him a disposable camera or two (with his name on them) doesn't hurt. Teach him how to use the cameras before he leaves and tell him to take lots of pictures of his new friends.

If Kyle is flying by himself, make sure he has some things to do on the aeroplane like reading books, writing in a journal or writing a story, listening to music, playing cards, having some snacks, etc. especially if the travel time is more than an hour each way.

Oh, and you may want to mention this on the phone rather than tell him beforehand (as he will likely forget): get addresses of his friends so he can write to them after he gets home. I know that was always exciting for me when I went to summer camps. Yes, if Kyle does phone home, it's a good time to remind him of some things like taking pictures, getting addresses, and always tell him to have fun (but NEVER tell him that you miss him - it encourages the whole homesick thing...) and that you will see him when he gets home and he can tell you all his stories.

Hmmm... other advice... have heaps of fun. It shouldn't be too difficult to have fun, since Space Camp is an incredibly amazing place for everyone.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

My best advice is to retiterate a couple things others said and to expand on some.

First the cameras having one or a couple is agreat idea. And make sure to tell him to carry it with him all the time except maybe for water activities i learned that the hard wa6y when i put my camera away before dinner a couple of times and missed some amazing pictures at night. Also make sure to get pictures of his team mates. I know pictures of my team help to bring back some really great memories from my days at camp.

Also like said before to make sure and get the addresses email addresses etc of all of his friends on the team. And also tell hime to try to get to know all of his team members and make as many friends as possible some of the people i have met at camp are still great friends. I wish we had email back in 1991 and 1993 so i could have kept in touch with people from those teams more easily. I regret not getting to know more people on my first 2 teams. He may not like everyone or get along wih everyone it happens sometimes but he needs to try to get to know everyone on the team and he will most likely end up with some great friendships.

Space camp is an amazing experiance and for some its once in a life time. I know he will have a great time. Encourage hime to take in everything enjoy every moment of the experiance and have fun.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

Just a small little comment...the first time i went to camp i was so excited that i was actually there that i guess i didn't eat that much of my dinner...a little after lights out i realized i was starving...so much that it was all i could think about and couldn't just go to sleep....i had to go down the the nurse's office and get crackers! it was really embarassing :oops: so maybe put in a pack of crackers in his bag or let him see this so he wont do it....i dont' know, just thought i'd share :)

have fun!
~Siobhan
Space Camp 2000 - Cygnus- wk 38
Space Academy 2001 - IO- wk 36
Space Academy 2002 - Galileo- wk 38
Adv. Space Academy 2003 - Von Braun- 36
Adv. Space Academy 2004 - Von Braun- 37
.: Pj :.
Camper
Camper

Post by .: Pj :. »

Dinner ... :roll: ( now further words needed ) !

Grts from Europeans with better eating-habits :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Mwoehahaha !!!
ISC 2004 ( Belgium ), Shepard-team
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I don't know about your son's personality, but I was always bored and called my mother several times in the first day and a half. Then I got to know my team and was too busy to call her again until maybe my layover to make sure she knew I was coming home. We're all harping on the phone thing, I know, but that and cameras are the two biggies for your son. I would also send him with a blanket (maybe even a pillow, if you trust him) because the bedding they provide are well-known for being less than adequate, probably as a theft-deterrent system :lol:.
Ad astra per aspera.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Or shear efficiency... Good point though benji. The hab is always cold at night!
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Keep in mind though that Kyle, her son, is only 9 years old and will be residing in Habitat II for his week at camp. I do not know if Habitat II is as cold as Habitat I, but I doubt an extra blanket would be necessary. (I could be wrong.)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

When i stayed in hab 2 it was moderatly warmer but i brought an extra blanket and made use of it.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

last time i was in hab 2 was during an eald and it was even colder than hab 1 usually is
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Hmm i remember it as being warmer but it was the summer of 2001 which was quite warm if i remember correctly so maybe that had something to do with it. *shrugs*
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
HurricaneErin
Counselor
Counselor

Post by HurricaneErin »

I would suggest bringing a blanket and a pillow. Hab 2 is freezing during the summer. We constantly had space campers asking for more blankets. I suggest the pillow because I for one don't care for space camp pillows; they're flat and not that big.
Callsign: Hurricane
Space Camp Counselor Summer 2006
Space Camp Counselor Christmas Camp 2005
Space Camp Counselor Summer 2005
Space Camp Counselor Summer 2004
Advanced Space Academy Christmas Camp 98
Space Academy Level 1 November 96
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

and even if its not cold, some thing from home is always nice.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

Make sure he gets some good sleep a few days before he goes becuase he might find it hard to sleep the night before. Also while at camp he will be so excited he might not sleep very well. There times where he will be so tired that he will be asleep before his at hits the pillow.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

or during briefings. *cough cough.* :D
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

yeah ive done that too many times to count
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

haven't we all... :lol:
~Siobhan
Space Camp 2000 - Cygnus- wk 38
Space Academy 2001 - IO- wk 36
Space Academy 2002 - Galileo- wk 38
Adv. Space Academy 2003 - Von Braun- 36
Adv. Space Academy 2004 - Von Braun- 37