Morning Notes from the AC Office

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

HighSpeed03
Counselor
Counselor

Morning Notes from the AC Office

Post by HighSpeed03 »

For Starters: Smiley .. come on .. give us a break here! We aren't working nor are we hurting anyone. Right On JB! We're all just here to have some fun. This forum gives counselors the opportunity to take a break from our normal routines and mess around with people and each other. You'd be suprised how many counselors visit this site to sit back .. relax .. and laugh at stuff! I counted 16 CURRENT counselors from the members list and more are joining just so they can be a part of madness in the Barracks. Space Campers will never understand what we are talking about here unless you also have gone to AC. I know there is a forum for Space Campers why not stop reading the craziness from AC and go there? This forums area is called the Barracks for a reason. And trust me AC .. is not a hyped up military camp" like everyone assumes. It's better!

Now back to the notes from AC:

Graduation: Conditions are Favorable
Staff Meeting Status: Is a Go
Non-Space Camp Food Toinght: Finger Lickin' Good

That is all.
AC Callsign - High Speed
Ace McFly
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Ace McFly »

Greetings Sports Fans

Your Attention Please.....

Carry On
" Surface Turds happen, it is whether you bury it or not that matters. "
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually i'm kind of glad to see some AC counselors join. Till Sara joined i was the only regular poster who had even been to AC. Granted its been a while but its nice to hear whats going on over there.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Ok, so maybe some of us "space campers" read things in the barracks because we're interested in possibly attending AC. However, at this point I'm considering it less.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I really want to go to AC, but there are no dates when I can go, which really stinks.
Ad astra per aspera.
HighSpeed03
Counselor
Counselor

More Notes

Post by HighSpeed03 »

You would actually consider NOT going to AC because a few counselors are having a little fun on the side and showing people we aren't the "stick up our butts" like we are assumed to be? Well, except McFly .. haha .. nothing but love dude. Using counselor postings as an excuse not to try something new is sad .. very sad ..

BTW...the boss says...IF YOUR HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT....CLAP YOU HANDS!!!

That is all.
AC Callsign - High Speed
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

That does seem a bit rediculous to not go because something a counselor said in here. AC is a great program i loved the week i spent there.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Ok, so maybe that came off the wrong way too(why does everything I say come off the wrong way). I wouldn't consider not going because you guys are having fun. Maybe some of the stuff you guys have said has come off the wrong way too. It just seems to me that some of the counselors and I may not get along real well due to attitudes clashing and that would not make for a good experience.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
Ace McFly
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Ace McFly »

Greetings and Salutations to All ( Sports Fans )

Those of us counselors that are having fun "on the side" are doing it for just that. The phrases that we use might not make sense to some people because they havent been exposed to that phrase/activity. You might not "understand us /it until you have done it or met us" applies in this case. We are not doing anything to " push others away" or "be all too inclusive." We are just having fun with stuff that we talk about ... thats it.

Carry On.
" Surface Turds happen, it is whether you bury it or not that matters. "
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Hey, it's cool with me. I like the lingo.
Ad astra per aspera.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

And so long as the AC lingo stays in The Barracks where it belongs, I don't have a problem with it at all...so long as it doesn't spill over into the other forums. Human Style English is, afterall, the preferred language here at Hab1.com.
Joker
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Joker »

The only attitude clashes that I would pick up on as a counselor (or a camper, for that matter) would be these:

1) Anyone starting the whole "you guys are *gasp* military-like, and I don't like that" game -- doesn't go over well, particularly with your fellow campers. I've seen entire teams fall apart because someone got the impression that AC as a whole wasn't military-oriented. It's not a counselor's fault; the best counselors will insure that your camp experience is great, regardless of your level of experience or enthusiasm. But that counselor is probably going to try and motivate you -- if you don't want to be motivated, you may be put off at first.

If one signs up for a camp that advertises green flight suits, fun in the woods, and simulated jet combat, odds are, it's a military-type experience. Just sayin'. Some people don't get that, even to this day. Please try not to hold it against the staff. ;)

2) The attitude of "I don't understand, so this sucks, make it stop." I call this the "Tish Ambrose Approach." Odds are, entering into any experience in one's life with this attitude is bound to result in disappointment. That's just how it goes.

So, stargazer, if you feel that you're less likely to attend AC, that's a shame -- but, indeed, it's not for everyone. Neither, for that matter, is Space Camp/Academy. Particularly in the more advanced programs, the temperament, the pace, and the expectations are different -- for example, Mach III staff have historically been much more no-nonsense in nature with higher expectations of their trainees. As, by the way, are most of the better Advanced Academy counselors.

Having worked in Marketing for the camp programs, I can say I've counseled potential customers to consider very carefully which programs they want to attend. "Aviation Challenge" isn't just a snappy name painted all over the place. It's very much an attitude -- not bravado, but the idea that each day of the program, trainees are challenged to press beyond what they know and move toward something they've never done before. Or to do it *better*. I can't think of a day I spent there that a trainee wasn't challenged to achieve more than he or she did the previous day. Creating that challenge often involves moving past one's comfort zone -- some people deal with that better or easier than others.

Standing atop a 45-foot tower, strapped into a parachute harness and about to slide down a zipline backwards, is *not* a natural way to spend one's afternoon. Sitting still while the Helo Dunker simulates a drowning airframe is *not* a natural reaction. Being trained to fly at 500 knots at 250 feet AGL (above ground level, for all you non-airplane types) is not an easy or natural thing. But at AC, you're trained to do all of those things. And beyond being trained to do it, on some levels, you *will* do it, and not just in theory.

Does that seem like a clash of attitudes? I sincerely hope not. One of the biggest differences, in my mind, between a good/great counselor and one that's just punching the clock: a good/great counselor will never let you settle for less than your best. Ever. You may be annoyed by it, you may get mad, but looking back, you'll realize that you were pushed beyond where you'd have gone by yourself.
Smiley
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Smiley »

Amen :-)
You dropped your pocket, your socks are untied, and those are the same clothes you were wearing the day after yesterday. :-)
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Very well said Joker and your right it isnt for everyone and its definately an experiance to remember.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Wow. See, now I want to go even more. Oh, and by the way, that is probably the longest post I've ever actually read on the Hab Forum.
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Yeah that was the longest post anyone has made in a long time. But wait a little over a week and youll have my AC account to read every day those will be longer.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Yeah, but even those other long ones I rarely read. I found this one extremely interesting.
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i hope youll atleast read mine. Especially if you're intrested in going to AC i think you'll enjoy it.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I'm looking forward to it.
Ad astra per aspera.
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I plan to go to AC as an adult one day. It has always sounded interesting but I'm a space person so I always chose to go to ASA. I look forward to one day being able to go to AC.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009