Call signs

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

This is an old thread, but I'm bored. My call sign was Er, Flash, Bubbles, FuFu, Bubbles, Bubbles, Bubbles... so mostly Bubbles... and I don't think anyone called me FuFu... haha. Anyways... I miss AC!!!!
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
Hawke
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Hawke »

Again, I know this is an old thread, but I just have to add to this. All four years that I went to AC we either shared our hobbies or told embarrassing stories after which our call signs were voted on by team members. Ten years is a LONG time and I’ve forgotten a lot of details about AC, so this list is incomplete and probably has errors. (Spanky, maybe you could help me out with the missing/wrong names from ’96!)

Summer '94 - Eagles

- Woody (me) - nobody could think of a name...so some wiseguy blurted out Woody
- Speed Bump - nearly got hit by a car while riding his bike
- Mother Butthead - He loved Danzing...and he looked just like Butthead (no joke)
- Pyro - I think he lit his hand on fire once (any relation to the counselor Pyro?)
- Outhouse - ...I think he got locked in a port-o-pot or something
- Bigbird - he was tall
- Wolfgong - he played the piano =P

Summer '95 - Griffins

- Catwalk (me)- I said I liked "modeling" (building model airplanes). Yeah, they thought I meant...well...modeling, so our leader (Squat) dubbed me “Catwalk” :roll:
- Oops - In middle school she had a crush on someone. Baked him brownies and put them in his locker. She put them in the wrong locker.
- FiSci - he said he liked Science Fiction, SciFi was too boring
- Rawlivic - He was a big Civil War buff. You figure it out.
- Airborne - Can’t remember
- Armadillo - He was from Texas I believe. I think he was in a car that ran over an armadillo or something

Summer '96 - Pukin' Dogs
- Hawke (me) - For this one I have to give credit to Spanky. My last name is Stringfellow. Any aviation buff that was alive in the 80's will recognize "Stringfellow Hawke" from the show Airwolf. Spanky superceded all regular means of call sign designation to dub me Hawke. Airwolf was my favorite TV show of all time as a kid.
- Late - He showed up a day late
- Rainman - This guy was random...really random. And he had this crazy blank stare on his face. He was my best friend and accomplice that week
- Thumper- I think she looked like Thumper
- Org - She was giving a presentation in Biology class and instead of saying "organisms" she slipped and said another very simlar word...
- Bing-Bong - We got our room assignments (long before ice breaker/call sign voting). At the AC barn they named each of the rooms after famous pilots. This guy from our team came out of the barn yelling “We live in a fricking BONG! What the hell does that mean? Is it like…bing bong?” A call sign was born. (if you’re still lost, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bong)
- Pokey - I think he looked like Pokey from Gumby
- Ham - He was this big guy from Puerto Rico that was into Ham radio
- Draino - A casualty of Rainman’s random call sign suggestions. Draino had a funny habit of banking hard right immediately after takeoff. This usually led to burying his aircraft into the ground. He pulled through on our mission at the end of the week though and survived takeoff.

Summer ’97 - Grim Reapers
- Boo (me) - I drive a 1978 International Scout 4x4. I thought Scout would be a cool call sign. Well, some genius pointed out that the girls name in “To Kill a Mocking Bird” was Scout, and that led to calling me “Boo”, as in Boo Radley. But, after revealing my affiliation with the Estes Rocket incident (Keep your eyes on the Iron Gump thread) to my leader Doolittle, he re-instated my name “Hawke”, and that is the name that I graduated under.
- Napalm - One of two girls on our team. She was extremely quiet and shy…but we could tell she was hiding her true bad-a$$ self. We named her Napalm, and the name ended up being perfect, seeing as she was one of the most motivated and talented people at camp that week.
- Jethro - I have no idea why this guy was called Jethro, but he was one of the most talented pilots at AC. He and I spent over an hour in the sims once trying to get a clean kill on each other. It was a draw. I’d like to know what he’s up to these days
- Thumper - We couldn’t think of a name for her. Somebody had heard me mention “Thumper” when talking about my 3rd year and suggested we use it again.
- Larry, Curley, Moe - Three friends that came to AC together. They were expecting a space camp experience, and wanted nothing to do with early wakeups, marching in formation, wearing flight suits, or anything of that sort. They really separated themselves from the team, but completely redeemed themselves on the second to last day of camp when they approached us all and apologized. They promised to give 110% for the last day and a half. This led to us winning the Red Flag! (Oh, I don’t remember if we actually named them larry, curly, and moe, but I believe we did refer to them as the three stooges!)

Wow, fun times.
Beginner (Mach 2) - Summer '94 - Eagles
Intermediate (Mach 3) - Summer '95 - Griffins
Intermediate (Mach 3) - Summer '96 - Pukin' Dogs
Intermediate (Mach 3) - Summer '97 - Grim Reapers
demonicus
Camper
Camper

Post by demonicus »

o god ive gotten way too many callsigns and nick names from ac and space camp.

goth (jolly rogers 03)-thanx bean. yea i wore all black for a while.
demo-short for demonicus (asa 04 and ac+asa 05)
frizz (01-06) i have extreamly frizzy hair
crow (ac 05) i forgot i was wearing black eyeliner when i went swiming
bunny(asa 06) i have 4 bunnies and i worship happy bunny

also there are the random ones

lisbon-i can speak portuguese (im half)
psycho-nick name that i cant get rid of

for some weird reason when ever i was on either a 8 or 12 day asa team, we all had nick names.
m2-(7/15-7/20/01)
as-(7/22-7/27/01)
m3-(6/28-7/4/03)
asa-(7/19-7/25/03)ps
asa-(6/26-7/4/04)pilot
asa-8 day(8/7-8/14/04)ms
m3-(6/25/05-7/1/05)
asa-12 day-(7/17-7/29/05)ms
asa-12 day-(7/2-7/14/06)ms
asa-12 day-(6/10-6/22/07)ms
Lingo
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Lingo »

I gave one guy the name "Tinky Winky" and another "Professor Otto Vonschnitzlepusskrankengershangtmeir"

I had one named "Pork Chop"

hmmm...
Academy or AC team doubles all week AGAIN!?!?! Oh well, at least they're not campers.....