Where is everyone now?

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Where is everyone now?

Post by tennisrox014 »

Thanks to Vincent I am back into this account after a twelve year absence. What a time capsule. The Barracks seem to have been vacated years ago, but if you do happen to see this, I'm curious what all the old timers are up to now.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Re: Where is everyone now?

Post by Boomerang »

Some of us are still around. I have not visited Hunstsville since 2012 but still keep up to date on whats going on down there.

In regular life i'm now working in banking. Have been married for 11 years now and living in Kentucky. I also help run a Space Camp scholarship program.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Welcome back! Always great to see some old faces pop back up. A lot has changed! I am now living and working in Huntsville. I have been volunteering and helping out Space Camp and AC for the past several years, including our annual Summerfest alumni reunion and Hall of Fame events. I would suggest checking those out, as Summerfest has become the most wonderful time of the year for alumni.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

What a world! Vincent helped me reclaim my old account after 10 years! Some of the told stories I'm reading have got me ROLLING! I attended AC five times between 2003 and 2007 as Mach II, Mach III, and Mach III-12 Day (Now Elite). I was fortunate enough to go back as a Crew Trainer in 2010 and 2011 under the callsign Starbuck. I have something of a sarcasm problem, who knew?
At the time, I was enrolled in AFROTC at Georgia Tech and planning a long career as a Navigator, but I was struck by a vehicle walking to class one day and severely messed up my back. It ended my dreams as an officer in the Air Force. At the time I was absolutely devastated, and although it took a few years to be able to embrace it - hey, life goes on.
These days I work in Digital Marketing for a luxury automaker. I help dealers clean up their processes to run a more efficient dealership. Kind of a weird course correction, but I enjoy it quite a bit. I miss AC every day and given the opportunity, would love to go back either personally or professionally. Since I was about 16, I've had a really weird habit of knowing how long it will take me to get to Huntsville if I leave RIGHT NOW. Just over 4 hours for anyone wondering 8)
It's great to see the board here is still semi-active. With Summer Fest canceled this year, it's nice to be able to connect with folks here and through Facebook. Hoping to get back out there to celebrate 30 Years (plus 1) of Aviation Challenge next year!
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Aviation Challenge Crew Trainer 2010-2011 - Starbuck
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Welcome back Spyder/Starbuck! Thank you for remembering us. Hab1 has not gone away. A few of us die-hards are still active here despite what other groups like Facebook may have you think LOL. It is always so refreshing when old members come back. Social media can only get you so far. Like the bar that was Otters, Hab1 is a Space Camp Institution that will never die.

Ugh, sorry to hear about the career hiccup. It happens. Don't let it get ya down. Keep following your passion for flight and you will find other ways to vicariously live out that dream! Surround yourself with people who care as much as you do about flying. I never got to fly in space, but having worked with Space Camp Alumni and the Hall of Fame guys for years, I have gotten to play small roles in things that have helped our cause and inspired many. It has been a rewarding experience, and it keeps building to this day. Space Camp/AC always needs people like us who care and love this place so much. Passionate alumni like yourself make a difference in more ways than you can imagine, and we are so glad to have you.

I work in marketing also, for a historic gunmaker. So I too know what a "weird course correction" feels like. Before, I was working for the company that made the headsets for NASA. Luckily, my course correction has lead me back here to Huntsville. Now, i'm just waiting for this COVID *crap* to end so things can get back to normal and we can have Space Camp, Biergarten, Summerfest, and all the great things that make life here exciting again. Meanwhile, life at the Rocket Center goes on. I hope you will come visit! Aviation Challenge could use your help in many ways, I'm sure. Passionate people who care are the lifeblood of our programs. We will celebrate 30 years +1 next year!!!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner