Anybody done the Pilot/Co-Pilot Program?

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

Guamrider9
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Anybody done the Pilot/Co-Pilot Program?

Post by Guamrider9 »

My son and I did the parent/child space camp last weekend and had a blast. He's 8 and absolutely loved it. I'm cosidering saving up to take him to AC next year and wanted to hear some feedback from anybody who has done the pilot/co-pilot program. Is it like space camp where they keep ya busy all day? There was very little down time at space camp, which is important for 8 or 9 year olds. Do the AC campers have access to space shot, g-force, and the mars rock climb as well? Any feedback would be appreciated.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I haven't been to Pilot/Co-Pilot, or even a full AC programme, but I do know that they will keep you just as busy for the whole time you are there. You will be flying flight simulators, having briefings, doing survival stuff, going swimming, etc. AC also has a better centrifuge than G-Force, although I don't know if parent/child uses it. There's never a dull moment. Jason (Boomerang) worked at AC for a while, so he may be able to give you more details.

AC programmes usually eat at the same mess hall as Space Camp. You may have even seen AC kids at the mess hall when you were there. They have been known to have barbeques at the lake, but I don't know how often they do that or if they still do. I don't know if they go to the museum, climbing wall, or Space Shot. I've seen them in the IMAX before - a show on helicopters. Again, Boomerang may have more details.

It will be fun! I wish I had a kid to take to camp!

Edit: You may want to read the information about the Mach I camp on the space camp website. It will give you a sampling of what you would do in the Pilot/Co-Pilot programme. http://www.aviationchallenge.com/camp/mach1

And the Pilot-Co-Pilot page: http://www.aviationchallenge.com/aviation/camp/acpc
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Safety
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Safety »

AC Pilot/Co-Pilot is an excellent program for 8-9 year olds. Much like Space Camp, the staff is great, full of information, and AC offers a unique experience into the world of Military and General Aviation.

I was a counselor in 2009 and have attended the camp as a kid myself. I enjoyed every second of my time 'Down at the Lake.'

I can vouch that AC is a high intensity program that will keep you both busy throughout the duration.

One of the great things about the Camp Programs at the U.S.S.R.C. is how they compliment each other, giving campers two unique experiences in one place.

Respectfully,
Safety
June 1999 - June 2003
2 Weeks AC California Mach II
9 Weeks of AC Mach III
1 - 8 Day Program AC
1 - 12 Day Program AC
Space Camp Hall of Fame - Class of 2008
AC Counselor 2009

Joshua Whitfield