No More Mach III 12 Day?!

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

skunk51
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

No More Mach III 12 Day?!

Post by skunk51 »

i was at aviation challenge mach three twelve day and learned that next year the administrators have decided to go back to 8 day instead of 12 day

Does anyone know exactly why?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Unfortunately from what i hear its going back to 8 day for AC Mach 3 and ASA due to its not making enough money to continue it.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

I heard that as well. Its an awful shame, I just got home from 12 day last friday, and i have to admit, that was the best two weeks of my entire life. It was intense, and it was awesome, hands down. It was a great way to end my five year run at Aviation Challenge, and I know im not the only one who would be awfully sad to see it go. I really hope the higher up's re-think that decision, because its an absolutely fabulous program and well worth the money I dished out(yes by myself) to go.
But I will say. The week I was there, there were two 12-Day Teams there, the Vigilanties, and the Jolly Rogers, and I will be the first to say, two 12 Day Teams was one too many 12 Day Teams. We ran into a lot of scheduling conflicts trying to fit both teams into the Sims for our missions, and the counselors and white shirts were visibly exhausted from dealing with two teams of Mach III 12 Day trainees, so hopefully a higher up will read this and take it to heart. One Team per Two week program is the perfect number of 12 Day Teams, its easier on both their counselors and the white shirts dealing with them.
I always said the 6 Day program was never long enough, and I dont think 8 Days would not be much of an improvement. From walking through my bay and talking to the 6 Days throughout their respective weeks that I was there, I noticed that between the regular 16 or so trainees on the 6 Day teams, there was a dramatic leap in the number of people who actually plan upon pursuing a career with the military between the 6 Days, who had few if any, to the 12 Days, the majority of which on my team already have decided upon which branch to head to when our time comes around. I say in the most flattering way possible that the 12 Day program for Mach III is severely needed for the Aviation Challenge name. In years past I have heard a lot of things about the 12-Day program, some good, some bad, mostly about how the program was going soft and it wasnt as much fun, but I know Ruth worked VERY hard to redesign the 12-Day program and I give her a standing ovation for a job VERY well done. We all throughly enjoyed it and from talking to my teammates who are all safely back at home, We were ready to go home, wash clothes, regroup and head back for another two weeks.

Thats my two cents worth. I really hope some administrators read this, I feel very strongly about this and I hope this makes a difference
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Aviation Challenge Crew Trainer 2010-2011 - Starbuck
Goldfish
Counselor
Counselor

Reason

Post by Goldfish »

The 12 day is being ended because they feel the program isn't sufficently filling all of the 12 days with learning activities. It has nothing to do with how much money they are making or not making off of 12 day. I don't know where that came from. The reason is they feel there is too much down time in the 12 day schedule. Granted all I hear from the 12 day groups is you need that down time to rest. I know, I agree, 12 day will suffer when it is pressed into 8 days, but really we are going to make it awesome! We are THE Aviation Challenge! It is going to be awesome no matter if it is 8 days or 12 days!
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

is there someone we can talk to about possible activities to fill down time?
We used to sit through first aid breifings, which I noticed we lackedthis year. I also recall a brifing from SGM, who of course would not deliver it now, on camoflage(patterns of paints etc.). We did have a lot of down time while wewere there, but I honestly dont think its from a lack of things to do, I think it was from the lack of facility space to support more than one team at a time. We were always waiting on the other team, and they were always waiting on us, until just into the second week, when we started doing more joint missions than anything, then it just didnt matter because we were together. 12 days did offer downtime, but not four days worth of down time!!!!
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Granite
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Granite »

Personally, I think that the downtime was a necessary period to relax. After two weeks with that down time, we were all still pretty much completely and totally exhausted. Can you imagine what shape we'd have been in without it? Especially after (And, since this is dated after September 1st, I can freely speak about this particular activity) SERE, when we were put to our very limits for hours. We needed that rest time. Oh, and by the way, I can honestly and proudly say that none of the 2007 Week 37/38 Vigilanties cracked during SERE, as tough and testing as it was. Ms. Oliver (Formerly Ping, now Redbull) truely pulled out all the stops to give us what was quite honestly the greatest 2 weeks of my life and by far my best AC experience ever. The worst part about it was having to leave my team. I still miss them all. To Hollywood, Spyder, Tex, Sparkles, Wolfe, Hadji, Squirrel, Seal, Axle, Chaos, Ninja, Raven, Donut, and Sonic: I miss you guys!
Mach 1 01 Thunderbolts (Flash&Neg G)
Mach 1 02 King Cobras (Snoopy&Hersey)
Mach 2 03 Eagles (Jynx&Hook)
Mach 2 04 Hornets (Mongo&Snakebite)
Mach 2 05 Falcons (Strobe&Deuce)
Mach 3 06 Pukin' Dawgs (Shaggy)
Mach 3+ 07 Vigilanties (Forecast&Hawg)
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I remember you guys and i envied forecast having a team like that. You guys were ther tam i wanted to have when i went to AC in 96. Glad you enjoyed the session this summer. We tried out some bew stuff this year and looks like it was pretty successful from what i saw.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

succesful would be a drastic understatement, this summer was amazing
Wilson
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Wilson »

Yeah it sucks that they are getting rid of this awesom program, but I am glad that I got to enjoy it this pass summer. It was probably one of the best experiences in my whole life, so far.
MACH II+ - 06 Strobe/Beaker - Checkmates (Gizmo)
MACH III+ - 07 Goldfish/Snowflake - Bounty Hunters (Wilson)