A Sad Day Indeed...

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

A Sad Day Indeed...

Post by Sandrat »

Rumor has it that the B-52 simulator mobile trainer railcars at Aviation Challenge (at least one of them) has been condemned. One of our BUFFs has finally reached the end of a prodigious journey.

Obituary to follow. Stay tuned.[/img]
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Boeing
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Boeing »

May it rest in peace......... :cry:
Check six.....plop down.....lean back
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Say it's not so. I have pictures of those trailers from when i was there. Only went in there once to get my flight suit but AC wont be the same without both of them there.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

I am like a few what are the B-52 trailers?
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

At the top of the hill at AC, next to the volleyball court stand two railroad cars utilized in the 1950s and 1960s as mobile simulation trainers for the B-52 Stratofortress aircraft.

They house the official office of the Aviation Challenge program and the counselor wardroom.

The trailer closest to the volleyball court has had the office inside for years, as well as the original storage closest for the program. Thanks to the SGM it grew large enough to be housed other places. The far trailer housed the counselor breakroom or wardroom as well as a full-size B-52 cockpit simulator that was never used for what it was intended.

Spanky and Joker will know what I meant by that....
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

Thats really really depressing, I got bored at school and looked it up on Google Maps and it seems theyve moved the Falcon out from behind the Tomcat up next to the O-Club
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Aviation Challenge Crew Trainer 2010-2011 - Starbuck
jagsvolleyball14
Camper
Camper

RE: falcon

Post by jagsvolleyball14 »

no those maps are like 10 years old... i looked AC up then i looked up my house and saw that my pool was missing from my back yard...haha... and if you look really close you can see a copyright in the photo that says 1996 so maybe 10 years ago it wasnt there... but the falcon definetly hasnt moved from behind the tomcat...TRUST ME!
SC-01;counsler-Katie
SA-03;counsler-Katie&Scooby
SA-04;counsler-dusty&?

AC machII eagles
-xmas-04;counslers-Sparky&Stumps

AC machIII blacklions
-xmas-05;counslers-Pooky&RG
-xmas-06;counslers-Bambi&Shaggy
-xmas-07;counslers-Opie&Snapper
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well in the case of that particular picture the oldes it could be is from 1999. Big clue to how old it could be is the standing Saturn V Replica it wasnt there till 1999. Other big hints that ist not recent. No Saturn V center construction, no obvious work being done around the real Saturn V, no new area 51, and no new NASA education facility that now houses the Marshall Educator Resource Center that use to be next to G-force.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

Hey, I didnt even notice that. The copyright I see says 2007, but there is stuff missing all over the place, heh. oops
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Hollywood
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Hollywood »

THERE IS A B-52 COCKPIT SIM IN THE TRAILER?

NO, it's can't go anywhere...not till after i get a job there and get to see it!

There are snakes under those trailers though......
Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win!
Proud pilot to Spyder.
Mach II 2003- Hook and Jinx
Mach II 2004- Mongo and Snakebite
Mach III 2005- Miagi and Fidget
Mach III 2006- Shaggy
Callsign: HOLLYWOOD- always
FETUS ALLAHLALALALALALALALALALALALA!
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

sorta like snakes on a plane, just not quite
Granite
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Granite »

Well, I was there just this sumer, and both railcars were still there. And as to whomever said the thing about the Falcon moving, the falcon was on the hill by the O-Club my first year @ AC.
Mach 1 01 Thunderbolts (Flash&Neg G)
Mach 1 02 King Cobras (Snoopy&Hersey)
Mach 2 03 Eagles (Jynx&Hook)
Mach 2 04 Hornets (Mongo&Snakebite)
Mach 2 05 Falcons (Strobe&Deuce)
Mach 3 06 Pukin' Dawgs (Shaggy)
Mach 3+ 07 Vigilanties (Forecast&Hawg)
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

yeah, the Falcon is still safe and sound behind the Tomcat, and both railars are still there, but I never did actually see anyone go in or out of the one next top the MiG, only the one by the volleyball court, maybe it is condemned
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Oh believe me the one is definately condemned. From what i hear from counselors who helped clean it out is definately nnot fit for human habitation anymore.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Boomerang wrote:Oh believe me the one is definately condemned. From what i hear from counselors who helped clean it out is definately nnot fit for human habitation anymore.
Sounds just like the Skylab exhibit. :(
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Re: A Sad Day Indeed...

Post by Spyder »

I know this is an incredibly old post, but I think both railcars are condemned now. When I was a Crew Trainer in 10/11, the far railcar was in fact condemned and locked up tight, but the one closest to the O-Club was still the office. The DMZ for staff was in the back of the land trailer. My first summer there in 2010, it was - and I kid you not - infested with Black Widows (somehow just th eDMZ, the rest of the land trailer was totally fine) and we weren't allowed to use it for about a month and a half. After that, I just wasn't super keen on hanging out in there. The only channel we got was E! anyhow and all they ever aired was "Keeping up with the Kardashians". Gag me with a spoon.
I hear that in the last few years, the other railcar was taken offline and the office was moved into the swing bay on the first floor. I can't for the life of me think of the name of the bay (McConnell maybe?), but I lived there my first summer at AC.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: A Sad Day Indeed...

Post by p51 »

How can you condemn a railroad car, unless it's infected with black mold or something? You can strip it down to the metal and start over. I'm in RR preservation and have never heard of any RR equipment being condemned before. You can rebuild almost anything from just a few metal pieces...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!