AC First Year alumni

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

b52murph
Camper
Camper

AC First Year alumni

Post by b52murph »

Hey all. Anybody else out there a first-year ('90) AC alumni? I went in mid-late June, I think it was the 3d-ever session, but not positive.

Some memories (Callsign: "Striker")

1) The base around the F-4 hadn't been finished yet--so we all got quite muddy for our squadron photo. (I was in the Ghostriders)

2) There was this GREAT F-106 cockpit trainer from the 49 FIS alongside the two F-4/F-18 simulators.

3) Col Mike Mullane's son--Patrick--was one of our conselors, and Colonel Mullane came to visit us for a couple of days.

4) The sims were F-18 screens/program, but were built into F-4 trainers. This was AWESOME to me, as I was (and still am) and F-4 nut. I can still remember the feel of that big throttle lever in the left hand and the stick in my right.

5) And, of course, being told that I'd made the first successful "night carrier trap" in the history of the program. I'm not certain that this is true--but it was a cool feelin'.
Jordan "b52murph" Murphy
Camp I, April 1986; Camp, April 1987
Academy I, April 1988; Academy I, April 1989
Academy II, Feb 1990; Aviation Challenge, Jun 1990
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

An F-4 nut? Great, you and Spanky will get along swimmingly. Nice to see a first-year AC'er join in.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

I AM NOT A F-4 "NUT".....I'm a connoisseur!!!

The fact that I am well versed in the care and feeding of McAir's greates fighter of all times is of no major concern to Sandrat.....he thinks the M1A1 is the greatest thing since soap on a rope. Typical army tread head!!
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

No, that would be the M1A2. :D
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
b52murph
Camper
Camper

Post by b52murph »

Spanky wrote:I AM NOT A F-4 "NUT".....I'm a connoisseur!!!

The fact that I am well versed in the care and feeding of McAir's greates fighter of all times is of no major concern to Sandrat.....he thinks the M1A1 is the greatest thing since soap on a rope. Typical army tread head!!
I'm PROUD to say I'm a F-4 nut. I've never worked `em on the flightline, so I can't say that I'm a truly a connoisseur. One of my colleagues at my last duty station was an F-4 crew chief for several years in the '80s. He reminded me frequently that "coal burners" were very dirty and difficult compared to the F-15s he worked later on.

I can DEFINETLY say that I'm B-52H and B-1B "connoisseur," though, having maintained them in North Dakota and South Dakota respectively.

As to the Army...bless 'em all. Without the 'ground pounders' (no offense intended), us USAF guys wouldn't have anyone to rag on. :-)
Jordan "b52murph" Murphy
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

The Air Force looks down and sees the tactical advantage of the high ground and goes home to their air conditioned billets, but the Army takes that high ground, secures the tactical advantage and takes the fight to the enemy with direct fire.

And the Army gets "ragged on" for that.

I love the smell of inter-service b******t.

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
b52murph
Camper
Camper

Post by b52murph »

Sandrat wrote:The Air Force looks down and sees the tactical advantage of the high ground and goes home to their air conditioned billets, but the Army takes that high ground, secures the tactical advantage and takes the fight to the enemy with direct fire.

And the Army gets "ragged on" for that.

I love the smell of inter-service b******t.
I'm certainly not going to deny any of that...in the true spirit of jointness, it's all good. :-)

BTW....love the "location" Sandrat. Reminds me of another time and place, having even more fun than I am today. Cheers.
Jordan "b52murph" Murphy
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Fun? We can't have fun in the military! :D

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

BTW....what's the difference between the Cub Scouts and the Army?
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

There are two:

1. Access to heavy weaponry

2. The Cub Scouts have adult supervision. :D

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

By the way for the F-4 nuts and or conaseiurs out there thought you guys might like to see the Phantom i see every time i go to work. I will be getting some more pictures of her later when i get the chance. Ran out of space on my camera that day before i coukld get around to the other side and get more pictures. By the way this is an Air Farce phantom i'd prefer a marine one but with Langley Air Force Base so close most of our planes are AF. This one has 2 confirmed MIG kills in Vietnam. When i get a chance to get pictures from the other side you'll see its two kill stars. Hope you like.

http://ibnerd.net/main.php?g2_itemId=12496
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador