Space Camp/ Aviation Challenge Hall of Fame

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Space Camp/ Aviation Challenge Hall of Fame

Post by Spanky »

Friends,

I would like to follow in my friend, Coach Nick Saban's footsteps. Thank you all for your e-mail, but I will not be a candidate for the SC/AC hall of fame. While it would be a great honor, I am currently busy preparing for our next engagement with the Republic of Kosan. Col. Toon is still out there and we must be diligent as we prepare for our upcoming battle. Keep the faith!!

Spanky
Last edited by Spanky on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

You know, you can still be the "guaranteed HOF recipient from Hab1.com"
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Joker
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Joker »

Aw, Spanky, you know the only way we're getting into the Space Camp Hall of Fame is by paying admission at the door. Full price, natch.

Reading the qualification list, it seems that candidacy for the HOF is related more to "how cool your job is now," or "how you can make SC look good in brochures," not "how many lives have you positively influenced," or "how you've taught/led people."

I'm perfectly okay not being in the brochures, considering I used to write the things. (File under "You actually think John Glenn wrote that letter?" We all know John Glenn was way too busy winking at underage farm girls in 1963.)

Odds are slim that the real players will ever be seen -- the folks who daily made sacrifices and worked above and beyond the call of duty to make things happen. Not the Ed Buckbees of the world, but the Barrett Howells. That's who MY Hall of Fame would commemorate.

Of course, MY HOF would attract as many visitors as the Big Fake Rocket out front did.
U.S. Space Camp, May 1985
Aviation Challenge Staff, 1996-1997
"Livin' in fear's just another way of dyin' before your time." -- Drive-By Truckers
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

The real players are the ones that should be recognized, but I fear you're right Joker - they won't be. For some reason, I have the awful feeling we'll see more "Friends of Space Camp" recognized for their contributions to Space Camp, than the "Staff" without whom the facility would never have reached 25 years.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

I think someone forgot to take his Metamucil this morning.
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

"FIBER? I GOT YA FIBER RIGHT HERE!"

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

The real players are the ones that should be recognized, but I fear you're right Joker - they won't be. For some reason, I have the awful feeling we'll see more "Friends of Space Camp" recognized for their contributions to Space Camp, than the "Staff" without whom the facility would never have reached 25 years
Spanky should be in the HOF. He was everybody's friend, and the summer after he left was a sad one indeed... Sandrat is right
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Aviation Challenge Crew Trainer 2010-2011 - Starbuck
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Joel should be in there too. Who didn't go to camp in the Joel-days and come back with a story or two?

Then again, I am sure the list of 'people who should be in the HOF' is about ten or twenty times longer than the list of people who actually make it.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

There are quite a few of us that believe Joel will get a nod. However, I don't think it will be in the first class. Maybe year two or three.

The list of "should-bes" will at least include people who've made a measurable impact on the program. The "Friends" I'm not to sure of.

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

The list is long and distinguished.

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

They have the nomination criteria on the website but how would someone go about nominating someone for the Hall of Fame? I would love to nominate one of my fellow adult campers.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
alumniandi
Counselor
Counselor

Hall of Fame

Post by alumniandi »

The nomination forms are now available on the www.spacecamp.com site. There is an option to do an electronic nomination or a printed version to download and send in.

Thanks
Andi
Alumni Andi

"We choose to go to the moon, in this decade, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."