Former Instructors and where are they now??

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

Insane
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Former Instructors and where are they now??

Post by Insane »

Hye Guys (and Girls off course),

Trying to find out whatever happened to the following instructors:
Pete "Rambler" Hantleman
Phillip "Grunt" Grissom
Sean "Link" Schauer

Instructors of who's name's or callsigns I've forgotten:
Chief
Tarzan

I had the good fortune to have Rambler and Chief as my instructors my fist time at AC ('98 I think, Mach 3) and Grunt and Link the second time ('99 Mach 3, 555th "Tripple Nickle", winning Admirals cup, red flag en topgun). These guys really knew their stuff, and I believe to this day that some of the lessons they taught me have served me well since then! Tarzan I remember as a really cool guy who shared my passion for military history.

I've heard AC has changed a lot since then, and that they have had to take the PT out and aren't allowed to be "over" militaristic?? Those where some of the best things at AC! Taking care and being proud about ones actions and appearance is really is one of the thing especially Rambler and Grunt drilled into us from day 1 and continue to be valuable lessons..

I was in contact with Link untill about 3 years ago when he went to work for a defense contractor, Rambler and Grunt I lost contact with somewhere in 2001.

Haven't been back since 1999, but hoping to drive by if I get the chance when I come to US again in a few months (I live in The Netherlands, I think I was one of the few foreigners who went to AC)

Would love to hear what has happened to this great bunch of individuals.

PS. Other people who made an impression, Doolittle (couldn't miss him) & Jerry
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Spanky can probably help a little bit, but here's what I know:

Chief - still flying, most recently with Bombardier Aerospace in and out of Dallas. No contact with him in years, but know his recent whereabouts thanks to another former counselor.

Tarzan - Lost track of him. Spanky?

Link - Happily married with a baby on the way in California. He works with C-130s as a civilian engineer.

Grunt - Spanky? I think he's in the Detroit area? Is that right?

Doolittle - Been home from a rotation in Iraq for several months - now an Army Captain. Happily married.

Rambler - Dropped off the face of the earth. To my knowledge has contacted virtually no one in years.

Jerry (referred to 'round here as the SGM): Still kicking around - as always.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Insane
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Insane »

Wow, I knew AC counselors where fast, but this is disturbing :) Asking a question and getting a reply within 2 minutes...

Okay, there is a timezone difference...

Are Grunt and Rambler still in the USMC??
Good to hear that Doolittle is back safe from rotation.
Couldn't imagine the SGM doing anything else, I really do believe that man is indistructable...

Thanks Sandrat for the info..
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

Tarzan if flying for the USAF.....AC-130 or C-130s I do believe.

Grunt is working for the US Customs Service in Detroit....he never went to the USMC.

Rambler as far as I know is still in the USMC....I belive he is in the VA area now.
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004
Insane
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Insane »

Grunt never went to the USMC?? I can still hardly believe it! If there was one man who represented the USMC at AC it was Grunt (and off course Rambler!).

I looked up Ramblers old webpage, and it's still up, so he might still use that e-mail account. It is updated to the rank of Captain, so it might still be usable..

Sad to see http://www.knightserrant.org/ has been taken down, always enjoyed looking at the old photos...

Cool that Tarzan is flying the (A)C-130, I actually remember him introducing the type to me (never heard of the AC-130 untill then, I still think it is one of the coolest looking planes in the world, bar the S-47 "berkut").
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

Yeah Grunt never went into the USMC.

Not sure on Rambler....he was promoted to captain 3 or 4 years ago. I know he is really active in the Civil Air Patrol.
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004