A couple questions before i sign up for next year..

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

Deimos
Camper
Camper

A couple questions before i sign up for next year..

Post by Deimos »

I'm just concerned, I have lots of problems with my ankles/legs, and I'm wondering if there's anything i might not be able to do with that?? I can't walk at times and stuff, and i don't know what'll happen since i'm having surgery in 2 weeks on my ankles, and hoping that'll help somewhat, but i'll still have the problem when i go. Do you think they'll let me carry around motrin to take when i need it, because the pain comes so sudden and stuff, and so bad that i can't even walk or get up, and i can't walk to sickbay to get it. I"m just curious. I went to spacecamp, and that was a lot on my legs, but i hear aviation is even more than that. I don't know. I'm just curious, if i use crutches will i still be able to do most of the activities? DO you think it will ruin my time there if i need them/ if i am in a lot of pain and can't do everything?? I'm just scared about that. What do you do in aviation anyways? I know the main things, but are there other things that are a lot of physical activity? THanks. [/url]
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Re: A couple questions before i sign up for next year..

Post by Space Nerd »

Deimos wrote:I'm just concerned, I have lots of problems with my ankles/legs, and I'm wondering if there's anything i might not be able to do with that?? I can't walk at times and stuff, and i don't know what'll happen since i'm having surgery in 2 weeks on my ankles, and hoping that'll help somewhat, but i'll still have the problem when i go. Do you think they'll let me carry around motrin to take when i need it, because the pain comes so sudden and stuff, and so bad that i can't even walk or get up, and i can't walk to sickbay to get it. I"m just curious. I went to spacecamp, and that was a lot on my legs, but i hear aviation is even more than that. I don't know. I'm just curious, if i use crutches will i still be able to do most of the activities? DO you think it will ruin my time there if i need them/ if i am in a lot of pain and can't do everything?? I'm just scared about that. What do you do in aviation anyways? I know the main things, but are there other things that are a lot of physical activity? THanks. [/url]
I'm quite sure they won't let you carry the motrin around with you though i'm sure they could arrange to stop by sick bay for you if need be. I know that AC also has a golf cart they use sometimes for trips to sick bay. AC is pretty intensive on the legs though there is a lot of stuff you would be able to do just fine, especially the sims stuff. A counselor, i can't remember which one, mentioned that they found ways to help some kids out and still keep them in the activities and if they did it for one person i'm sure they could do it for you. Thats just my thought, though hopefully a counselor will come in and give you their opinion.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

I don't know... like if you have a lot of ankle problems you might miss out on some stuff like patrolling, which is a big part of camp... a counselor would def. be able to better answer your question.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

Also, I had a bad counselor last time, so i'm afraid of that happening again, when i was in ASA, not AC though.
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

You can always contact camp and ask them directly:

[email protected]
1 800 63 SPACE

You can contact Sick Bay (nurses) directly:
1 256 721 7162

They can better answer your questions.

For most camps I have been to minors (sometimes even adults) are not allowed to have medications on their person unless they are required for a life threatening condition like allergies, diabetis, or asthma.

However, they may be willing to release you one tablet at a time, for use as needed, provided you tell your counsellor when you take it and then return to sick bay for another dose. I don't know what the policy is for this though. Your best bet is to talk to the nurses in sick bay BEFORE you go to have things go as smoothly as possible for you.

It may be as simple as having your doctor write a perscription for Motrin and explicitly saying on the label that this medication is to be kept on your person at all times for use as needed, with dosing information. Who knows... but I hope you'll have a great time at AC!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

I was allowed to carry my migraine medication and inhaler on me during my trips to camp. I don't recall needing a note for the inhaler, but i believe i had one for my migraine medication.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005