OLD Mach 3 sim room

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

OLD Mach 3 sim room

Post by Boomerang »

I was just wondering something. Back when i went to aviation challenge Intermediate (now Mach 3) the sims we used were in a decent sized room attached to the bubble and not in the barn where they are now. I know this summer when i visited they were in the new location. I was just wondering what is the old room used for now if anything. Back in 96 it has 6 or 7 of the old simulators a console that the counselors conducted the sim stuff from a briefing room upstairs and i believe there was also a restroom in the building too. So what is there now if anything? and when did they change the sims over to the current models they have and when did they move to the current location?
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Last time I was there it was used for Lectures but i don't know if thats still true...
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Mach 3 sims

Post by Spanky »

We replaced the old F-4/F-16 style cockpits in 1999 with the current system. We kept that system there until 2001 and moved them to the Barn (Hab 3). The new bird farm (sim bays) is where all of the sims are housed for M1,2, and 3. We converted the bubble area into classroom space, which you all know is a premium at AC.
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Thanks for the info. Ok new question is the ward room aka the building over by the volley ball courts now used for classrooms also? I know its not used for a dining hall anymore like it was when i was there in 96.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CampGirlKelly
Camper
Camper

Post by CampGirlKelly »

I was at AC Mach III in April 1997, and we ate all of our meals over at camp. If I am thinking of the correct building, we used it for learning about the components of the flight gear... and then because there were only 7 of us that week, and we thought it was really cool, our counselor (Joker) let us wear them to lunch. It was a good time :P :lol:
Don't hang up your dancing slippers!

ASA -- Spring Break 2000
ASA -- Spring Break 1999
ASA -- Spring Break 1998
AC Mach III -- Spring Break 1997
SA Level 1 -- Spring Break 1996
SC Florida -- Spring Break 1995
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well sounds like they didnt keep serving lunch there much beyond the year i was there. We actually learned the diffrent flight gear in diffrent lectures. The helmet O2 mask and stuff like that was talked about when learning about ejection procdures. Survival equipment that each pilot has when he or she bails out was learned about in land survival and obviously life rafts and flotation devices were discussed in water survival. Would still like to know what that building is used for now though.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Your team eating in the wardroom during 1996 was an aberration. Only about six weeks of trainees experienced that during the cafeteria remodeling. There was simply no other way to do it.

When I left, that building was converted into a massive storage facility by Top Kick for storing flightsuits and other survival equipment directly related to E&E.

While I was there, we used the building for classrooms, storage, even a swanky adult camp reception.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually when i was there in 96 there didnt appear to be any cafeteria remodelling going on at the time. The cafeteria was still the same as it had been in 91 and 93 there was no obvious work going on anywhere in there. We still ate breakfast and dinner at the space camp cafeteria. And it seems to me someone on my team who had been to mach 2the year before said they ate there in 95 also.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

Yeah. We used that room near the trailers to do a couple land survival lectures and first aid before they opened the other camo trailer (which I have heard has been repainted a couple times so not sure its still camo)behind the bubble. When I first did Mach 3 the sims were in that building connected to the bubble, we did T-Ops (the original really cool T-Ops is still the best)upstairs every time I went. But I love the new tower they made in the barn for the new sims. It's just cool looking. The best thing about AC is those counselors put so much work... I remember hearing through e-mails about their endeavors building a new bridge for the thing they started doing before E&E. AC rocks. :) Can't wait to go as an adult one day.
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

LB206 wrote:Actually when i was there in 96 there didnt appear to be any cafeteria remodelling going on at the time. The cafeteria was still the same as it had been in 91 and 93 there was no obvious work going on anywhere in there. We still ate breakfast and dinner at the space camp cafeteria. And it seems to me someone on my team who had been to mach 2the year before said they ate there in 95 also.
In 1995, what I remember being told was that trainees ate at Aviation Challenge during most weeks of the summer - during 1996 the cafeteria and resulting food court were being built to their current configuration. The cafeteria and food court opened sometime in the early fall 1996 if memory serves me correctly.

After that summer, no meals were served at Aviation Challenge, mainly for health and sanitation reasons. Logistics were also difficult, but livable under some situations. I can remember some other sporadic meals taking place at AC, but mainly for special events and such.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
CampGirlKelly
Camper
Camper

Post by CampGirlKelly »

When i was there in april 1996, the cafeteria you were mentioning was in working order.. i do not remember the public cafeteria that was added next to it until the following april... that was a looooooooooong time ago though, so i could be wrong.

kelly
Don't hang up your dancing slippers!

ASA -- Spring Break 2000
ASA -- Spring Break 1999
ASA -- Spring Break 1998
AC Mach III -- Spring Break 1997
SA Level 1 -- Spring Break 1996
SC Florida -- Spring Break 1995
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

In defense of my compadre, Knight 6.....it was 1997 when the cafe was redone. Construction began in JAN 97 and was completed later in the year. We served the cold (still frozen) ham and cheese sandwiches with lemonade (can still taste the sweet nectar) out of the "wardroom".

Rat is correct about the conditions and we stopped, only to try it again 1998. Once again....it failed.

I will agree with one and all. Rat and I wrote the original T-Ops briefing and it remains our favorite. The plan was to provide massive information overload and make it difficult to operate in a combat environment, while giving the aircrews and opportunity to hone their ACM skills. I feel like we meet those goals. We were able to move sim time from 6 hours to close to 15-20 hours based on which course you came to. I’ve been gone for over a year now, so I have no idea what they are doing….but I feel that the 1996-199 time period was a special time for AC.
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Well.....as many things as Spanky, Joker, Gordo, Fidget, Grunt, Doolittle and the rest of us did that changed the face of the Aviation Challenge program, I think I can be forgiven for getting the dates wrong.

I humbly bow to Spanky's magnificence....at least he's still my best friend ten years after the fact.
Last edited by Sandrat on Thu May 04, 2006 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

The battle for Ardan still rages in the sky over AC.
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

I'm kinda partial to the original Kosan scenario - the Theater Ops briefings for that rocked.

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

Grunt: A hero ain't nothin but a sandwhich.

Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

CAG: Do you think one of these little Kosanese fighters won't do a motivated low crawl into your bay late at night.

Rambler: Charlie's already in his bay!!

Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Grunt: Oh, I see we've got a little attitudinal problem.

Trainee: Sir, no sir!

Grunt: What?

Grunt: Did I ask you a question?

Grunt: Then why are you sounding off?

Trainee: SILENT

Grunt: Shaking head and just barely avoiding laughter. "I'll be followed by the CAG - sit the hell down."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

CAG to trainee: Who am I son?

Trainee: Your the CAG, sir!!

CAG: Wrong you rodent, I'm a weapon system. I was built with this ship and their was a cost over run!! SIT DOWN!

Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

CAG finishing T-Ops "To think I have to sail with these bunch of wannabees."

Goes to door and attempts to slam it shut. It does not slam adequately, allowing for a second, much more violent slam that actually breaks two pictures and nearly causes a trainee to soil themselves.....

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry