Original Black Knight Squadron Members

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Original Black Knight Squadron Members

Post by Sandrat »

How many of you are still out there? This is for those Knights from 1996 to 2001, when being a Knight really meant something. You were awarded the squadron patch, you flew missions with the intent to train campers and not to punish them. And you didn't feel the need to play Navy SEAL or CIA operative or whatever it is they do now.

Would love to hear from you guys. AMF.

Sandrat

Commander
77th TAC FTR SQDN "Black Knights"
1996 to 1999
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

Ok, I am just an old camper, but started going to AC in 99, weren't Grunt and Doolittle both original Black Knights... I haven't heard from either in a while and I am pretty sure neither of them come on here... Anyways... I miss the guys from way back...
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well though not a member of the Black Knights i do remember those days. Back when AC had diffrent names for its programs, when counselors like Grunt, Hoser and Wedge were around. No seal missions and the advanced sims use to be in that room attached to the bubble instead of in hte barn. Actually it will be 10 years ago this July since i was at AC hard to believe. When i went Mach 1 was brand new i believe it was actually called Beginner back then. I believe 96 was its first summer. Mach 2 was called Basic, and Mach 3 was called Intermediate. The centrifuge was also new too i believe, And escape and evasion was done wearing old tanker suits instead of BDU's.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

It has been ten years since the founding of the Black Knights. The tanker suits were a gift from one of Top Kick's scrounging runs to Fort Knox late that spring. It was the last year of Primary, Basic, and Intermediate. That fall we rewrote the programs - I took over Mach III.

I haven't talked to Grunt in a while. Doolittle just came back from Iraq - he spent a year over there. He's now a Captain in the Army National Guard (and I no longer out rank him!). Don't know where Wedge is, though when I was at Camp, she worked for me up there as well.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Ah it was primary. That sounds better than beginner. I wasnt quite sure of the name. One other thing i remember about those days was Ac trainees use to eat lunch at the ward room instead of going over to the main space camp cafeteria every day. I remember it was the same thing every day. choice of hamburger, hotdogs, or chicken sandwich with choice of chips and soda. Man this topic has brought back some memories. Based on what isaw last july when i visited down at Ac with Who alot has changed in 10 years.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

wow sounds a lot different than the ac i no and love but sounds really cool too
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

I'd venture to say that AC from 1996-2001 is absolutely NOTHING like it was back then. Things will always change, and we always think things were better when we were involved. Yet, AC will always remain the most under-utilized program with the most potential. It's a shame that Space Camp has all but turned its back on AC.

It could have been so much more.

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

Yeah... I remember the old T-Ops... whatta rush, Doolittle and Grunt in your face.. and PT!!! T-Ops was way different during my last two Mach 3's and they got rid of PT completely. It was sad. I knew Doolittle was back w/the Army... glad he's back from Iraq. :) Those two guys are the best ever. AC is awesome... it's SO special. :D I miss the old AC... but is interesting to see all the changes. :)
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
Joker
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Joker »

...and there I thought I was the best ever.

Time to start revising that resume. And my websites. And my business cards.
U.S. Space Camp, May 1985
Aviation Challenge Staff, 1996-1997
"Livin' in fear's just another way of dyin' before your time." -- Drive-By Truckers
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

I remember PT in the mornings, having my bunk thrown over by my (male) counselor, and the D&C competition. I LOVED D&C, and AC is the primary reason I got into it. I was really upset when they got rid of it.

Unfortunately, most of my memories of AC (1999-2001) are overcome by my more recent memories of AC in 2003 in Mach III and in 2005 as a counselor. So I don't remember all the previous stuff anymore.

I do remember we did a nature walk type thing one year with land survival. And I remember when the land survival stuff was in the O club, before it got moved to its own trailer (and I remember the nurse's station we had down there).

I think we're trying to shift the focus back onto sims and piloting and less on the military seal stuff. we'll see if any of the change happens.
AC M2/M2-12 day counselor 05/06 Repeat
AC MIII W 43-03 (Jolly Rogers)
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
AC MIII W 49-01 (Silver Eagles)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MIII 47-00 (Gun Slingers)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

Hey... Joker guy.. you live near me, lol. :) Okay anyways... Yeah... I heard they got some complaints about PT cuz some trainees aren't physically fit enough or whatever... hm... last time I checked fighter pilots were though. :-\ Oh well. Yeah. I love the old way... And I totally remember that nurses station inthe O Club... I went there when I tore the crap outta my ankle one summer... I liked it, it was such a pain to have to go up top to their nurses every day. AC was definitely best (in my opinion) before they changed everything.. Waking up, having 5min to dress for PT and running around like zombees was so much fun... Haha... So was water PT. That was a fun morning... :D X-mas camp PT was not as fun... cold and running is not my thing. :) Oh, the memories.
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

i dont think pt should be manditory but i liked it when they did it my first time at mach III when Hoss gave us the option and like half of the mach III kids showed up
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

unfortunately, it's no longer allowed in any capacity.
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually when i went in 96 we didnt do any kind of pt that week. Though i know a couple of the girls got up and went running in the morning with one of the counselors around the lake. I also remember in those days there was a drill competiton we participated in.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CampGirlKelly
Camper
Camper

Post by CampGirlKelly »

i was there in 97 and we didn't do PT then, either. i remember being kind of sad, because i had received a video a few years earlier explaining the programs, and the section about AC showed kids doing jumping jacks (if my memory serves me correctly) and spoke about their daily morning workout.
Don't hang up your dancing slippers!

ASA -- Spring Break 2000
ASA -- Spring Break 1999
ASA -- Spring Break 1998
AC Mach III -- Spring Break 1997
SA Level 1 -- Spring Break 1996
SC Florida -- Spring Break 1995
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Soccer wrote:unfortunately, it's no longer allowed in any capacity.
When did that start and why?

I had the option to do it in 2002 but i lacked the motivation and energy. :lol:

I was really sad that when I was there we didn't really do any drill stuff. I think we were supposed to but for some reason AC was terribly understaffed that week and our one counselor seemed to be doing like four jobs. They did attempt to teach us how to do a few turns and whatnot but that was all the more drill we learned. It was interesting when we got throw into the upstairs room of the bubble and told to stand at attention. :lol: Apparently, not enough of my team really knew what that entailed...

Oddly, enough one of the things i seemed to enjoy the most at AC was patrolling the back woods and the waterballoon fight we had (thought i'm pretty sure that was't technically allowed).
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

I taught my 12-day team D&C this past summer because they were interested and wanted to learn - they had a lot of fun, and it killed time better than any other kind of team time activitiy.

As far as PT goes, I was there in 99, and we did it, and 2000 and we did it, and I don't remember it after that, though it's possible it was still done in 2001, it definitely wasn't being done in 2003. The reasons I've been given have to do with parents complaining about what we "Forced" their precious little johnny to do.
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

We had the option in 2002 but it was a no pressure only if you want to kind of thing. Unless it changed a week or two after i left i can't believe that it would be worth stopping it. Sad.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Right Stuff
Camper
Camper

Post by Right Stuff »

it was funny last week when i went to AC.... im in my High School's NJROTC unit, and i can drill my butt of and spin the heck out of a rifle... with my team being composed of only 6 people, and seeing how disapinoted i was when i found out there was no pt or marching or drill. :-(
i took matters into my own hands, teaching my team how to march, stay on step, while i called cadence... lol.. it was pretty fun... i was told a few days ago that my teammembers had my cadences running through their hands all day... lol.. fun stuff... but yea i think it would be more realistic, if basics on drill, attention, parade rest, left/right/about face, and marching... oh and sounding off!!! just that simple stuff will make the experience more "military like" and possibly get them ready for the military if they decide to join.... just my opinion...
Aviation Challenge Mach III April 30-May 5
Team: Blacklions
Team Leader: Callsign Pooky
My Callsign: SPAM (as origional Mercury 7 astronauts were called "spam in a can")
Others Callsigns on team: Sheila, Comet, Jetlag, Nemo, Squack
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

one time i was there and my team wanted to learn how to march, but if any of you know me at all, you probably know that i'm not into that kinda stuff. I mainly go to AC to win top gun and fly missions, but yeah it was sort of fun. i wasnt as into it as some members, and had trouble marching without laughing. but i can see the merit of perhaps teaching it at ac. i suppose
Last edited by tennisrox014 on Sun May 14, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award