2015 Hall of Fame Auction Discussion

Discuss Space Camp related merchandise. Also a place to buy, sell, trade, or post merchandise available on eBay other members might want!

Moderator: Vincent

Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

2015 Hall of Fame Auction Discussion

Post by Vincent »

The 2015 Hall of Fame auction is in full swing, this year on eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ussrc_foundation/m.html

What things in that list are most exciting to you?

I'm thrilled at the support we got from Blue Origin! They had a ton of their engineers (including two Astronauts) sign a photo of the first launch of the New Sheapard vehicle!

Normally I would hold my cards close to the vest, since that's the thing I most want to get, but if not winning it means we've raised more money to send kids to Space Camp well, I can live with that!
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: 2015 Hall of Fame Auction Discussion

Post by SpaceCanada »

Impressive collection of items up for auction, for sure.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I'd list all of the things I want, but I would basically be everything! If only I could figure out a use for that sign…
Ad astra per aspera.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Benji wrote:I'd list all of the things I want, but I would basically be everything! If only I could figure out a use for that sign…
What, you don't have list of uses? I can think of a few:
- adding interest to the very large and blank wall on the stairwell in our house (inside or outside)
- fence decoration (because we're stuck with boring coloured fences as dictated by the neighbourhood architectural guidelines)
- a really big table (after adding a layer of epoxy finish and some legs)
- or maybe a patio deck! (more epoxy)
- make your own red structure to hang it from outside your house to welcome you home each day
- depress it into your floor as a decorative flooring
- and my list of random, silly, and crazy ideas continues...

I honestly hope it gets a good home and will see some use.
- Jennifer -
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I am largely unimpressed for a few reasons:
1. It looks more like a yard sale. Lots of 'Meh' items there
2. The signs are marked local pickup only. That leaves me out (over 2500 miles is a little far to drive to pickup an eBay purchase). Only Vincent, Hotdog and Steve here on the forum are close enough to go get those that I know of
3. I think they'll later regret getting rid of some of these signs. That large SC sign from the arch by Hab1 would look great mounted on the wall by the hall of fame displays!

All that said, I'll be looking at some of the signed books (though I have my own signed copies of most of the ones they've offered at this point) and whatever else they might come up with later.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

p51 wrote: 3. I think they'll later regret getting rid of some of these signs. That large SC sign from the arch by Hab1 would look great mounted on the wall by the hall of fame displays!
This. Yes.

Kyle (my husband) suggested that the person who gets the big sign should put it back up where it belongs (at the main entrance). Haha.
- Jennifer -
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote:Kyle (my husband) suggested that the person who gets the big sign should put it back up where it belongs (at the main entrance). Haha.
I love his thinking. If I lived nearby, I'd rent a lift bucket truck to help the winner put it back where it belongs. Then we could cut up the 'Gumby' sign currently up there and take the remains to the nearest recycling place! :wink:
Frankly, I'm wondering if SC might expect (or hope) that whoever wins that sign will either donate it back for display or realize they can't get it home with the same result.
I could afford to buy the sign and donate it for display for the amount it's at right now, but my wife would do something truly awful to me (such as telling me I can't go back to SC for several years or maybe never again).
But I have no clue how anyone would get the sign home. For example, my pal Steve on this forum has a pickup truck and lives not to far from SC, but a 10-foot-diameter circle of metal would be a real challenge, even for him. The vast majority of us who live well beyond that distance would have to have the sign crated and trucked somewhere. That would be extremely pricey, probably more than what the final price could be.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the person who wins the sign quickly realizes they either can't get it shipped at all or can't afford the truck freight charges.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I used to work for a company that made and shipped metal panels, often very large ones, to places all over North America. The metal panels and to be transported from one shop to the other down the street - always done by truck and/or flatbed trailer. You would be surprised at how much you can fit into the back of a standard pickup truck. Or a cube truck. Or a flatbed trailer. It's all in the crating. Shipping one panel across the continent would be pricey, but possibly not as much as you think (if the crating was already done). I can imagine the person who gets the sign will have some idea of how they intend on using it.
- Jennifer -
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

SpaceCanada wrote:
p51 wrote: 3. I think they'll later regret getting rid of some of these signs. That large SC sign from the arch by Hab1 would look great mounted on the wall by the hall of fame displays!
This. Yes.

Kyle (my husband) suggested that the person who gets the big sign should put it back up where it belongs (at the main entrance). Haha.
I had that thought, too, some guerrilla restoration! Unlike some other projects I've done, though, it would be hard to pull it off without being stopped by security (plus there's the pesky matter of them knowing exactly who they sold it to).
p51 wrote: 2. The signs are marked local pickup only. That leaves me out (over 2500 miles is a little far to drive to pickup an eBay purchase). Only Vincent, Hotdog and Steve here on the forum are close enough to go get those that I know of
Don't forget about the guy with the nice rear end holding up the sign:

Ad astra per aspera.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

We could have another Sprocket-themed episode of "Shipping Wars" on our hands

http://www.uship.com/shipment/T38-Shuttle/486405778/
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Hotdog wrote:We could have another Sprocket-themed episode of "Shipping Wars" on our hands

http://www.uship.com/shipment/T38-Shuttle/486405778/
Already someone looking for a quote to ship a sign from the auction: http://www.uship.com/shipment/metal-sig ... 424639719/
Ad astra per aspera.