Science Museums

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

I was at the John Glenn space research center yesterday!! it was fun except i only got to spend 1 1/2 hours there because everything in cleveland closes at 4 for some reason.

And 2 days ago i was at the BEST museum ever invented the rock and roll hall of fame!! it was awsome!!!! ive been there 4 times but it never is less fun!!! if your ever near cleveland you should go there!
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Sadly, that was the only place i didnt get to go in cleveland mainly because everything closes at 4 lol.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

yeah seriously i dont see why everything in cleveland closes at 4. and when i lived there it was just one of those things you got used to. im so used to fargo where everything is open like 24 hours... i was in cleveland and needed an atm last year and couldnt get to one because even the gas stations close at 4 or 5. its crazy. but i think the reason it all closes is that gas station attendents dont want to get mugged. even the trains shut down for a couple hours each night.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

lol. over christmas, i said something about nothing being in cleveland in mocr during the edm. jinx was there and it turns out she went to wooster. and lived in cleveland. she was like thanks. lol. :oops:

cleveland is pretty cool. lol. the majourity of my family lives there. :D
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is my favorite museum. They have an omnimax theater and a room dedicated to space. They also have an actual submarine captured from Germany-the U505-that people can walk through. They just built an indoor location for the submarine so that it can be preserved for all time. There is an actual 727 plane inside of the museum. There is also a chick hatchery where you can watch the cute little baby chicks hatching from their eggs.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

pilotgirl21 wrote:The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is my favorite museum. They have an omnimax theater and a room dedicated to space. They also have an actual submarine captured from Germany-the U505-that people can walk through. They just built an indoor location for the submarine so that it can be preserved for all time. There is an actual 727 plane inside of the museum. There is also a chick hatchery where you can watch the cute little baby chicks hatching from their eggs.
I love the CMSI I used to live in Hyde Park where it is located. They used to have 3d video's of mock space flights in their orbiter.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well you have us beat if you have a 727 we only have a 717 in our museum here better known as a DC-9 not quite as big as the 727. Though i believe they are about the same age.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

It's been years since I've been to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, but that is an amazing place. I'm seriously thinking about doing a long weekend in Chicago sometime in the spring next year and, if I do, the museum will be on my list of places to visit.

Other museums that I have visited and really enjoyed:
The museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (Ohio). I don't remember the name, but I spent the better part of a day there a number of years ago. The galleries of airplanes just keep going and going and going. Very cool.

The flight test museum at Patuxent River Naval Air Station is small but cool. And they have the X-35C (which has my name written in one of the wheel wells). I haven't been there since before that airplane was added to the collection (we were still flying it when I did my trip there). But that's definitely on my list of places to get back to.

Growing up, the Ann Arbor Hands on Museum (Ann Arbor, Michigan) was one of my favorite places. Lots of cool science exhibits you could move around and experiment with. And it was close to home, so we went at least once a year.

The Long Beach aquarium is cool. They don't have the whale sharks like at the Atlanta aquarium, but, overall, I think it's a better museum as a whole. I want to go back to the Montery Bay and the Chattanooga aquariums too. Been too long since I've been there so I don't remember much other than them being cool.

And, of course the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan (where I grew up) was always very cool. Basically the museum is a history of inventions from the industrial revolution through the mid-1950's to early 60's or so. The village has many historical homes (one of Edison's labs, court house where Lincoln practiced Law, Wright Brother's cycle shop, etc). Neat place where American history comes to life.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Top 5 - not including USSRC:

1. Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

2. National Museum of Naval Aviation - Pensacola, FL

3. Museum of Flight - Seattle, WA

4. Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center - Hutchinson, KS

5. Museum of Science and Industry - Chicago
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

gt0163c wrote:The Long Beach aquarium is cool. They don't have the whale sharks like at the Atlanta aquarium, but, overall, I think it's a better museum as a whole.
My parents dropped us off here on holidays while my mum went to the hospital to get her broken foot taken care of. I must say, this was the best aquarium I have ever been to. I wish we had more time to do more interpretive programmes and learn more about the animals, how the animals came to the aquarium, and how they take care of them, but just looking at all the animals and reading about them was quite fascinating. I also like how they give you a 'fish guide' so you can tell what all the fish and sharks are in the big tank.

We haven't been to many science centres. USSRC is definitely my favourite. The others I have been to are:

TELUS World of Science Edmonton - It is a bit weak, and highly geared to the younger ages, but good enough for being in the middle of nowhere. I like visiting the observatory when it is open, watching IMAX films, and playing with the sights and sounds mini exhibits on the second floor. The star theatre is pretty cool too.

Miami Museum of Science and Planetarium - It was an interesting thing to do on a rainy daiy in Miami but nothing too special. They had a really interesting exhibit while we were there. I rode a bicycle along a track about 3 metres off the ground without tipping - that was fun! I also liked their wildlife centre and all the great information I learned there.

The Royal Alberta Museum got an overhaul a few years back. While it is not a science centre they have the best nature exhibit I have ever seen - telling you all about animals, plants, bugs, and rocks in the province. It is definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. (We visit here more often than the science centre!)

Drumheller's Royal Tyrrell Museum is also very interesting if you want to learn about dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures.

Otherwise, in my travels, I hope to see some of the ones you mention, especially the Smithsonian and the one LB206 works at!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I would love to do a long weekend trip to Washington DC sometime to see all of the sites there. But #1 on my list is definetly the Air and Space Museum.

I went to the Wright Patterson Air Force Base Museum in Dayton, OH too, with an aviation club that I was in during college. I don't really remember too much about it except that I had a horrible cold and it turned out to be a pretty bad weekend for me.

I went to Oskosh, WI to the EAA AirVenture Museum with the aviation club. Not the greatest museum, but I would love to go back for an airshow sometime. I heard that they have the best airshows!

I've also been to the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo, MI twice, once with my family when I was really young during a trip to Michigan and once with that aviation club. It was a decent museum. I remember taking a scenic flight with my family-and us kids were free for the Young Eagles program.
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Joker
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Joker »

Sandrat wrote:Top 5 - not including USSRC:

1. Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

2. National Museum of Naval Aviation - Pensacola, FL

3. Museum of Flight - Seattle, WA

4. Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center - Hutchinson, KS

No love for the National Museum of the United States Air Force?

Blasphemy. Pure blasphemy.
U.S. Space Camp, May 1985
Aviation Challenge Staff, 1996-1997
"Livin' in fear's just another way of dyin' before your time." -- Drive-By Truckers
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Never been there. When I go, it will most likely make the list.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

Sandrat wrote:
I live in chicago, and I have a membership to there! My favorite part is the Apollo 8 capsule.
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Here's my list. Not so sure if the Mighty 8th Museum counts since its more historical, but its too awesome not to mention.

-U.S. Space & Rocket Center, Huntsville, AL

-Kennedy Space Center, Titusville, FL

-Museum of Arts & Sciences, Daytona Beach, FL

-Mighty 8th Air Force Museum, Savannah, GA

-Creative Discovery Museum, Chattanooga, TN

-American Museum of Science & Energy, Oak Ridge, TN

-Challenger Center, Chattanooga, TN

-1982 Worlds Fair, Knoxville, TN
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Not sure, I think this counts as science, but it isn't a science museum, but the Monterrey Bay Aquarium is really awesome!

In my other life I am interested in aquarium and marine stuff and have a 40 gal saltwater aquarium.

--des
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

des wrote:Not sure, I think this counts as science, but it isn't a science museum, but the Monterrey Bay Aquarium is really awesome!

In my other life I am interested in aquarium and marine stuff and have a 40 gal saltwater aquarium.

--des
My mother's going out to that area this summer and I'm trying to convince her to visit the aquarium while she's there. She only wants to go if it's a really good aquarium-apparently she wasted money visiting an aquarium somewhere else before.
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

DanM wrote:
Sandrat wrote:
I live in chicago, and I have a membership to there! My favorite part is the Apollo 8 capsule.
I live about 5 miles away from there and I just love the whole museum, especially when they get special exhibits, like body worlds. I used to work at Brookfield Zoo and I got free admission to all of the museums, so I went often to MSI, the Field Museum, the Adler Planetarium, and the Shedd Aquarium. Now that I don't work at the zoo anymore, I can't afford to go as often, but I'll try to make it out at least once or twice a year.
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I like just about any aquarium. I even like the Key West aquarium though it is tiny and dark and underdeveloped. But still the Monterrey Bay one is really special. There is stuff for everybody even not too much interested in aquarium kind of people. Must sees are the mammals and the seahorses. They have the truly wierd and wacky sea dragons, that look like characters from Dr. Seuss.

Here's an amazing image: http://www.divegallery.com/Leafy_Sea_Dragon.htm

Monterrey is a great little city as well. I wish I remembered the name of the darn restaurant but it was awesome. Tell her I said (but who am I) not to go to the chains or to pricey little tourist traps with the big shrimp out front. Driving from the San Jose area is very interesting as you go thru things like eucaliptus forests and garlic and artichoke fields. I am just crazy but that area, but living there is quite pricey, from what I understand. (Of course, they make more than we make here as well.)

--des
pilotgirl21 wrote: My mother's going out to that area this summer and I'm trying to convince her to visit the aquarium while she's there. She only wants to go if it's a really good aquarium-apparently she wasted money visiting an aquarium somewhere else before.
1MileCrash
Camper
Camper

Post by 1MileCrash »

went on my 3rd trip to Washington D.C. back in late May. while there we went to the national archives; i hadn't yet seen the constitution or declaration of independence.

anyway...

gotta love the national air and space museum on the mall and it's new counterpart the udvar-hazy center at dulles international airport. one thing to know if you are going to D.C. though. they USED to have a shuttle bus that took you from the main center on the mall out to dulles. they have gotten rid of the shuttle bus as "the money ran out" for the transport setup. so now you have to drive yourself to dulles. there is a small fee for parking but the museum itself is free.

also got to go through a very small portion of the national air force museum in dayton, ohio. i have to go back and check out the place but let's just say that from a very impressive WW2 era hanger to an on display F-22 and B-52 in the adjacent hanger...you can't see everything in place in one trip.
Space Camp - July 1997, Titusville, FL, Team Orion
Space Academy - July 1998, Huntsville, AL, Team BDM
Advanced Space Academy - July 1999, Huntsville, AL, Team Gagarin