Jon McBride's Training Flight Suit

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Jon McBride's Training Flight Suit

Post by majtom7 »

"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
TheBryanScout
Camper
Camper

Re: Jon McBride's Training Flight Suit

Post by TheBryanScout »

I wonder why he put the Mach 25 patch on the pocket rather than under the name tape? Strange.
Space Academy 2014-Team Deimos
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I missed out on bidding as I was busy with something.
Still can't believe there were NO bids on eBay.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Does anyone have a clue what this eventually went for?
Probably for the best that I missed the auction as my wife would have cut off a vital part of my anatomy had I bid and won it... 8O
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

http://spacewalkoffame.org/event/charit ... ia-auction

http://www.invaluable.com/catalog/lj9ytekvjn

There are a lot of interesting things in this auction that ends on Saturday.
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Looks like they held it back again. The last time I checked, the bidding was at $700.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I know of at least four different places that the suit was listed on in auctions, and it was withdrawn every time. I bid on it into separate auctions, only to have the item retracted each time. I'm not 100% convinced anyone's actually going to sell the thing at this point. I bid twice, and I'm not wasting any more time on it.
Skidmark

blachwk
Camper
Camper

Post by blachwk »

I've not had the 'winning bid' but I've bid as well in the various auctions.
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Market value is the price that a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to accept. Their estimated value was $1,500-2,500 so I can understand them having a price that they want to get before selling it. It would be nice if they said so, tho.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:Market value is the price that a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to accept.
In any normal auction, there is a minimum price listed. None have been listed for this suit for any of the countless auctions in which it has been listed. I've 'won' it more than once, only to have the listing terminated and they don't even let me know I can't have it. The only email I got was that the listing was killed (after the bidding ended) and I had to call them ask why wasn't I being allowed to have it as the winning bidder. I was told "Uh, the reserve wasn't met" then CLICK, they hung up. The other time, I never heard anything from them at all.
Seriously, I think they're not going to sell this to anyone.
I'm not wasting any more time trying to win it a third time, then be told I still didn't bid enough.
Skidmark

blachwk
Camper
Camper

Post by blachwk »

p51 wrote:
majtom7 wrote:Market value is the price that a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to accept.
In any normal auction, there is a minimum price listed. None have been listed for this suit for any of the countless auctions in which it has been listed. I've 'won' it more than once, only to have the listing terminated and they don't even let me know I can't have it. The only email I got was that the listing was killed (after the bidding ended) and I had to call them ask why wasn't I being allowed to have it as the winning bidder. I was told "Uh, the reserve wasn't met" then CLICK, they hung up. The other time, I never heard anything from them at all.
Seriously, I think they're not going to sell this to anyone.
I'm not wasting any more time trying to win it a third time, then be told I still didn't bid enough.
I've been involved with many military, vintage toys, and sport memorabilia auctions with items that ranged from low cost (a few dollars) all the way to high end (millions of dollars) and with those, the auction house always provided a notation of an item with a reserve or minimum final auction sales amount pending the review of the auction house and/or buyer where an item may not meet the final sales expectation. I've also written auction houses in situations where I've won, but didn't make the final reserve asking price. It is amazing in some of those situations how close (or in many cases) how far away your final bid was from what they were hoping to get sales wise from the item.

In this item's case, it is frustrating that you had the winning bid multiple times and the auction house wouldn't even provide any insight and just hung up. I've been in auctions where my highest bid amount would have met their reserve price, but since no one else bid up to that amount to drive up the price, they wouldn't sell it to me either. Not like I was going to have a buddy shill bid the item just to make their asking price.