B-17 was flying near my home on Labor Day...

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

B-17 was flying near my home on Labor Day...

Post by p51 »

These were taken at a airfield near my home. The bird is the CAF's B-17G, called, "Sentimental Journey".
Everyone else was at the South end of the field, but the CAF never launched or landed at that direction. The North end of the field has no fence and has a tall berm overlooking the overrun. Made for some sweet shots coming in (taking off was going away from the sun so those shots were kinda, "Meh")...

I caught the B-17 taking off and landing twice, so the second time, I took video instead:
https://youtu.be/QJxc9-gn4SE
https://youtu.be/8IaTzsYKYLs
So sad that very few spectators showed up. When I went there in Sunday morning, I was alone with the crew for a short while. Even for the flights, there were very few people taking photos really, and tis field runs right alongside I-5... Standing on that berm at the field, there were only two other people there near me!
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Re: B-17 was flying near my home on Labor Day...

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I totally missed this post, but I have photos inside and outside of that exact B-17 from two years ago! I whacked my head on a bulkhead inside and had a big knot (and a small cut) for a few days, lol. The B-17 has always been my favorite plane, and that was the first time I got to see one in person. LOOOVED it.
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I've banged myself around inside three different B-17s while they were spinning around. Flown in the nose, rear gun positions, even walked through a Bombay with the doors open once. 8O
Done the same with a B-24, as well. Gone up in several WW2 planes back in the 90s when I lived in Florida...
Once I get a ride on a B-29, I'll have flown on all the major four-engine bombers that are still flying today. And best of all, I didn't a pay a cent for any of those rides!
The greatest 90 minutes of my life, bar none, was a backseat hop in a P-51 Mustang, in formation with a T-6, B-17 and a B-24, over the Gulf of Mexico. We buzzed Tyndall AFB and the airport at Panama City numerous times. It's the only time a jet fighter pilot ever envied me, from an encounter with one soon after landing. I have video of that, I really need to put it online someday...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I would looooooooooove to do that but I'd have to pay quite a bit for the privilege.
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy