JSC New Exhibit in the Works, SCA + Explorer! Check it out

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

airkale
Camper
Camper

JSC New Exhibit in the Works, SCA + Explorer! Check it out

Post by airkale »

This is pretty impressive. Huntsville, has a full stack, but in the coming years Houston will have a full stack of other sorts. The 747-100 that transported the orbiter to and fro will be put on display at Space Center Houston, with Explorer mated on top. Check out the web site:

http://www.spacecenter.org/ShuttleCarrier.html

Also you will be able to go in both the Explorer orbiter model (ex KSC Visitor's Center) and the SCA via a gantry. It sucked that Houston didn't get a real orbiter, but this is pretty unique.
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: JSC New Exhibit in the Works, SCA + Explorer! Check it

Post by p51 »

That 'shuttle' is a very well-done mockup that used to be at Kennedy Space Center's visitor center (it was moved once they got Atlantis). I got inside it in 2009 the last time I was there and was impressed. The cockpit area is compressed a bit and the cargo bay area changed to allow people inside, but overall they did a great job. It was called, "Explorer" at KSC but I've read that the name might be changed. I saw this orbiter mockup again at Houston in September, it's sitting in the spot depicted in the artist rendering right now (and strongly lashed down against potentital hurricanes). The climate isn't the best for an outdoor exhibit but this is one heck of a consolation prize for Houston not getting a space-flown orbiter. But like their Saturn V, someday there'll have to be a total restoration to counter the ravages of an outdoor display. Such a shame they can't get it indoors, but such a massive building would be needed, I don't think it's realistic to expect one to be built anytime soon (if ever).
More info here: http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-050213b.html
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

According to what I have read the interior of Explorer will be re-done and updated to reflect the config of the orbiters as they were retired. I don't see any reason that they won't complete the endevour, as Houston never suffered from the economic downturn of past years.

Just FYI, JSC's Saturn V is actually indoors. It was restored around the same time that Huntsville's was re-done (actually by the same contractor). The building errected was not invisioned as the permenant home, as the Davidson Center is, but its no longer exposed to the elements.
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

airkale wrote:Just FYI, JSC's Saturn V is actually indoors. It was restored around the same time that Huntsville's was re-done (actually by the same contractor). The building errected was not invisioned as the permenant home, as the Davidson Center is, but its no longer exposed to the elements.
Yeah, I was referring to an eventual restoration of the 747 as they did for the Saturn. I've seen that Saturn several times, most of them when it was still outside. The building they have is nowhere near as impressive as the Davidson Center, as grass is gowing inside, they just threw a metal building over top of the rocket (I have also heard it's not considered permanent, but some friends of mine at JSC say there are no current plans for anything further). It's nowhere as near as complete a restoration as the one in Huntsville as some of the components haven't even been painted since it was still outside.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador