Anyone at SC ever get offended at the Von Braun story?

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Anyone at SC ever get offended at the Von Braun story?

Post by p51 »

In this day of PC-ness, I wonder if anyone has ever gotten offended at the hero-worship factor at Huntsville for Von Braun?
Not bash the man, just wondering if anyone's ever been offended at the way he's looked at in regard to his past with the Germans (slave labor building V1's and V2's, member of the SS, etc).
I'm not bashing anything, but I just wonder if anyone at camp has ever gotten a little miffed. I ask this because some Germans helped the Army deveop several weapon system with the Ordnance Corps after WW2 was over, and while I was at Aberdeen proving Grounds as an Army officer I heard a few people get offended at the lack of info on the use of "former Nazis" as well as the inclusion of several German tanks and weapons on the museum grounds (never mind those were war trophies and brought back for testing during WW2).
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Anyone at SC ever get offended at the Von Braun story?

Post by Benji »

In my experience, they don't try to hide that Von Braun was opportunistic in pursuit of his goals for spaceflight. They could do more to discuss it, but I think people just aren't that interested in history. I do think there is some amount of unapologetic "hero worship" that should be tempered by the Nazi association; I mainly worry about setting the example that it is okay to accomplish ones goals regardless of the costs.
Ad astra per aspera.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Benji wrote:I mainly worry about setting the example that it is okay to accomplish ones goals regardless of the costs.
That sort of "win at all costs" kind of mindset was popular in that timeframe. It helped win WW2 and then put a man on the Moon. I think in general we don't have that collective mindset as much (which might explain why we haven't wowed anyone in space in over 30 years) and the public now understands that results come at a cost.
Look at how fast we rebounded after the Apollo 1 fire, then how long it took to get back into space after STS-51L and then STS-107. Is weighing the costs a bad thing? I can't really say as there's a good argument either way.
Considering how history changes with public perception over time, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'hero worship' for Von Braun isn't quite as strong in another couple of generations...
Skidmark

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I thought this was relevant for anyone not familiar (or, like myself, in need of a refresher) with von Braun's history, Wernher von Braun: History's most controversial figure?
Ad astra per aspera.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Benji wrote:I thought this was relevant for anyone not familiar (or, like myself, in need of a refresher) with von Braun's history, Wernher von Braun: History's most controversial figure?
Interesting reference, I wouldn't exactly consider Al Jazeera as the most impartial 'news' organization out there...
Skidmark

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

p51 wrote:
Benji wrote:I thought this was relevant for anyone not familiar (or, like myself, in need of a refresher) with von Braun's history, Wernher von Braun: History's most controversial figure?
Interesting reference, I wouldn't exactly consider Al Jazeera as the most impartial 'news' organization out there...
What's wrong with Al Jazeera?
Ad astra per aspera.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Benji wrote:What's wrong with Al Jazeera?
Seriously? They've been used as a mouthpiece for terrotist organizations for many years and have often had anti-semetic-oriented stories.
Skidmark

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

p51 wrote:
Benji wrote:What's wrong with Al Jazeera?
Seriously? They've been used as a mouthpiece for terrotist organizations for many years and have often had anti-semetic-oriented stories.
Citation? They seem like a legit news organization from what I've seen.
Ad astra per aspera.