Those who've grown up... where are you now?

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Those who've grown up... where are you now?

Post by ACluvR »

Okay, so I know I have graduated from college and gotten married since going to camp. I also am pregnant with my first child and settling into real life and buying our first home... Where is everyone else at now in their lives? I thought it may be fun to share.
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

Congrats with the baby! I have a one year old nephew and my other brother and his wife are expecting in September.

As for what I'm doing:

I just finished my BSc in Environmental Sciences this past December. I'm currently saving up money so that I can backpack Australia and New Zealand in early to mid 2010. Other than that my life is quite boring.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

I went to Georgia Tech and got a degree in Aerospace Engineering. While in school, I co-oped at Gulfstream Aerospace in Savannah, Georgia. After I got out of Tech (no one graduateds, you get out), I got a job at Lockheed Martin, working on the X-35 (Joint Strike Fighter Competition). I was a part of the flight test team and provided real time support for the A and C (Air Force and Navy) variants. (Unfortunately I was writing and editing reports during the STOVL/B/Marine variant testing). In late 2001-early 2002 I moved to southern California and supported flight test on the F-22 program at Edwards Air Force Base for five months while the government decided who won the JSF contract. In February of 2002 I moved back to Fort Worth and started on the F-35 program where I've been ever since. I've supported wind tunnel testing; built, corrected and documented way too many database tables and am working on getting certified to provide real time flight test support for the conventional flight modes (not STOVL) of our aircraft. I think I've also successfully not gotten transfered to any of our test sites, so I'll be remaining in Fort Worth for the forseeable future.
If anyone is looking for an aerospace job and is willing to move to Southern Maryland or Southern California (and not the cool parts, trust me), shoot me a message and we'll see what we can do.

On the personal side, I've got a house, spend a lot of time at the gym (when not recovering from knee surgery) and hang with high school kids at my church as a volunteer youth leader. Oh, and I've been back to camp for Adult ASA once and hope to go again in another year or two.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I moved to Huntsville to be closer to Space Camp. We bought a house and I'm taking the last three classes I need to (finally) finish my degree in Human Factors Engineering. I'm currently networking like crazy hoping to find a position for when I'm done.
Ad astra per aspera.
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

Well, since the first two times I went to Space Camp while in high school, I knew I wanted to fly, so I attended Lewis University as a Flight Management major. The cost was way too high for flying lessons...my parents couldn't afford it and the school refused to sign for me to get more loans towards flight. I had 5 flight instructors in 4 semesters and only 50 hours of flight time, so I decided I needed to change my major to Aviation Administration. Graduating in 2002 was a bad time to be in aviation, so I was stuck in retail jobs.

I returned to Space Camp in 2007 for the alumni weekend, which has totally changed my life. I kept in touch with people afterwards...especially one person in particular. I visited him after camp and we went down to USSRC when the new addition opened. Two months later he visited me up in Chicago. He helped me to realize that I needed to do something more with my life, so I decided to move to AZ and return to school at ASU in accounting...an area that is usually in great demand. He also moved to AZ and goes to ASU.

Soon after that, I ended my relationship of over 9 years with my fiance and started dating my best friend, whom I can say I met at Space Camp (which is why it changed my life, with moving and a new relationship). Life is going pretty well for me now, and I hope it continues to progress that way. I hope one day to return to Space Camp, maybe one day attending a Parent/Child session with any future children I may have.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

After youth ASA in 1998 and 1999, I finished high school and met my now-husband (with a little help from a Space Camp counsellor who I still keep in touch with).

I went to university in hopes of getting a mechanical engineering degree but left after a year when I realised the university route was not right for me. I transferred to technical school to become a mechanical engineering designer and draftsperson. I really enjoyed the programme and now work as a draftsperson/designer for a local family business.

I went to adult ASA 8-day in 2004 and met some really great folks there.

Next up, I got married and we bought a house in my hometown. We haven't been up to much since - going on a few holidays here and there but nothing major like backpacking in Australia or anything.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well since i "grew Up" and since my last trip to space camp as a youth in 1998 alot happened in my life. Lets see starting with a successful battle with cancer in 1998/1999.

I went to college in 2000 getting an AS in social science in 2004 then a BA in history in 2007.

2004 i was hired as an educator for NASA Langley which i worked till last December.

2005 I returned to space camp as an adult for a Corporate space Camp as part of a NASA educator confrence.

2007 I worked at Aviation Challenge as a counselor from May to August. I was the first and only counselor in a wheel chair. I was there to celebrate the camp's 25th anniversary. I also attended the second Alumni reunion camp in August of 07.

2008 Attended the alumni reunion camp in July.

December 2008 moved to Kentucky and married my fiance January 3 2009. Currently looking for employment and enjoying married life. working on writing a book on the space race.

Future Want to get my Masters degree, hopefuly get the book published and teach at a college level. Though i cant go back to camp this summer hopefuly i will in 2010.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I didn't know you got married, Jason. Congratulations!
Ad astra per aspera.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Congrats on the marriage, Jason! Any chance you might plan on visiting Space Camp this summer, if only for a day? I think we need to plan a 2009 Alumni Reunion Weekend...
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Ihope i can drive down for te day this summer maybe for the hall of fame or apollo saturn reunion. I would probably do the apollo saturn reunion this year if i had to pick one or the other since this is the 40th anniversary of Apollo's 9, 10, 11, and 12
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

I've been trying to talk my husband into a trip to the USSRC, but he doesn't want to go... Claims he spends too much time with that kind of stuff... I guess that's what being in the Air Force will do to you.

It's cool to see how everyone's lives have turned out. I'm totally sucking at this wife stuff, I'm hoping to start my masters in professional aeronautics in the fall so I may have some kind of job opportunity as I follow my husband around with the military...
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle