Moving to Huntsville

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Moving to Huntsville

Post by Benji »

I'm very excited to announce that I will be moving to Huntsville in December! My wife, daughter, and I are all extremely happy to be getting out of New England and back to the South. We even bought a house!

Originally, I wanted to become a Space Camp counselor for a while, but I realized that we probably couldn't afford live on that salary. I currently work in IT and I'll be finishing my degree (B.S. in Human Factors Engineering) by May, so I've been looking for an engineering internship or IT job for next semester as well as a full-time position for when I graduate. No success yet, but there's still time.

That's all for now, I'll keep you posted!
Ad astra per aspera.
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

Congrats on everything!
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Thanks Lisa!

Yay, I'm here!!! Working on unpacking everything (going very slowly), exploring the area, furnishing the house (without going into debt!), and looking for a job. Got a library card yesterday and I need to go get a book on local lawn care today (I have to take care of a lawn... yikes!)

We escaped New England just in time, we caught the tip of a blizzard going through New York but otherwise avoided crummy weather. The weather here has been funny, it was cold for a while, then up in the 70s yesterday with some great rain last night, and getting cooler again tonight. It's fantastic to be back in the South, with wonderful food and friendly folks (even the drivers are courteous!).
Ad astra per aspera.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Benji wrote:The weather here has been funny, it was cold for a while, then up in the 70s yesterday with some great rain last night, and getting cooler again tonight. It's fantastic to be back in the South, with wonderful food and friendly folks (even the drivers are courteous!).
Yeah, winter weather in the south is just weird...especially this year for some reason. I live in Fort Worth, Texas and we've had multiple periods where the highs will be in the low to mid 70's and then the next day (yes, the VERY NEXT DAY) the bottom will drop out and it won't get above 40 for a day or two. Then back to high 60's or higher. Just weird.

And, as far as lawn maintenance goes, yeah, it takes a while to figure out. My first year in my house, my goal was not to kill anything I didn't want dead. That almost worked...my tree barely made it and ended up dying early the next season. I've found that the key is to find the expensive nursery/lawn care place and find out when the old guy who just loves taking care of lawns is working. Then, during an off time, go and find him, explain you have no idea what you're doing but want to learn. Then, start taking notes because he will tell you everything you need to know. Oh yeah, buy something small there and then get the rest at Home Depot or somewhere more affordable. Visit regularly, even if it's just to look around and say, "Hi". Keep asking questions as things pop up (sometimes literally with your lawn). You'll learn much. (This method also works well when doing woodworking/buying power tools.)
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

gt0163c wrote:I've found that the key is to find the expensive nursery/lawn care place and find out when the old guy who just loves taking care of lawns is working... Visit regularly, even if it's just to look around and say, "Hi". Keep asking questions as things pop up (sometimes literally with your lawn). You'll learn much. (This method also works well when doing woodworking/buying power tools.)
Great advice for almost any subject. This morning, I made friends with the owner of a custom home theater place. I can't afford anything he sells, but he gave me great advice on what brands and models to look at in my price range and he gave me his card in case I had any other questions. Now, off to the out-of-my-price-range nursery. ;-)
Ad astra per aspera.
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Quick update: I am now employed! I work for D-Tel Communications providing on-site software support for the Army on the Redstone Arsenal. It's a really neat place to work and I'm very excited about it.
Ad astra per aspera.
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Congrats on finding SOMETHING right now, especially something you like.
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

Congrats on the job! I hope you like it!
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director