KSC Visitor Complex?

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

KSC Visitor Complex?

Post by SpaceCanada »

We are going to the KSC visitor complex for a day in January. What is there to do? Where should our priorities lie? Anything we can skip? Anything not to miss? What about the bus tours and lunch with an astronaut - yay or nay? Astronaut Hall of Fame?

I was only there for an hour last year, enough to ride the Shuttle Launch Experience (which we will do again), take a photo of the astronaut memorial, grab lunch, and pick up a mission patch from the gift shop. I never got to see anything beyond that.

I figure some of you have been there recently and could give me some advice. Thanks!

PS - If anyone knows a good way to get from Disney World to KSC I would appreciate it as well. I am not keen on driving in the USA but I do know there is a tourist bus that goes there daily. Are there any other (cheaper/easier) ways to get there?
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

Post by Pete Conrad Fan »

Definitely do the bus tour. You go out to the Saturn V Center, and there are a several things to do out there that can be quite fun. Also, if open, the third stop on the tour is the ISS white room. They have a mockup of the ISS, and then you can stop over and watch them work.

As for the main park, I couldn't really say for sure (other than the Launch Experience). I always do IMAX, but if you're strapped for time, I would skip it. There's also a Mission to Mars show that's quite popular. I've never seen it as the line is always terribly long. You also have to wait a half hour or so before the scheduled time to be guaranteed in.

The schedule of astronauts should be on their home page, so you'll be able to see who is appearing when you're there. The lunch is decent, afterwards an MC walks around with a microphone for folks to ask questions. Though, both times I did it, it was the AHOF induction day and ate with folks like John Young and Charlie Duke. The Jon McBride's and John Fabians might actually mingle, I don't know for sure.

The Hall of Fame is definitely a DO. They have so much memorabilia and bios it's ridiculous! I love it! Very Museum. They have some mock up 'rides' at the end, usually crowded with kids, but I did one or two, kinda fun if you got the time, though Space Camp is FAR better.

I'm an annual pass holder and go quite often, if you see something in particular on the site that you have questions about, feel free to ask. Have fun!!
-Sarah

Space Academy Level I 9/1990 - BDM
Aviation Challenge Basic 6/1991 - F-16 Falcons, "Tigger", Red Flag Award
Alumni Space Academy 8/2007 - Columbia
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

You should absolutely go out onto the walkway paved with engraved bricks and look for the one that says "Bill Naivar" :D

Seriously, the Saturn V center on the bus tour is just jaw dropping.
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I was at the Saturn V Center last year for the STS-118 launch. I didn't get to see much of it because it was sardine-packed with launch guests so I would like to go back and see it again - definitely! Plus, my husband hasn't seen a Satrn V before and I cannot wait to see his expression when he sees it for the first time.

We have IMAX at home, both 2D and 3D, so we'll probably skip them to save time. The Mad Mission to Mars sounds interesting.

I don't know how exciting the ISS white room will be now that most everything that was in there last summer has gone up. The mock-ups would be worth it. I remember seeing those when we did the MSFC tour with ASA back in 1998.

Thanks for the reviews. If anyone else has anything to add, I will keep adding to my list until the day we leave. Vincent also reminded me of the Delta II launch whilst we are there so hopefully we can get to KSC that day to see it up close.
- Jennifer -
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

We're back from our Disney trip and our day at KSC. My wonderful adult ASA 8-day teammate picked us up from our hotel and brought us to KSC for the day and then him and his wife has us over for supper - thanks Cliff!!

As promised, here are some photos from the day. I have some nicer ones from my 35mm camera but I'm lacking in the scanner department so these will have to do for now:

That's Discovery on SLC-39A! Note the crew excape bucket on the wire. They were pulling it up to the tower when we were there.

Apollo/Saturn V Center - look at those first stage engines! My husband agrees that the Saturn V is the most impressive things he has ever seen. He may even be slightly excited about a future trip to Space Camp... *grin*

Look, I can see the VAB from my stateroom!! It's that wee white blob on the horizon. We went on a Disney Caribbean cruise as well. The last ten minutes of the bus trip to the pier I was glued to the window looking at the VAB and launch pads across the way. Even when we were aboard the cruise ship I spent every minute I could on deck looking at the VAB and two SLC-39 launch pads in the distance. I'm not a space geek, noooo....
- Jennifer -
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Wow, that's quite the view from the ship. Between you and Vincent, I am definitely envious.
Ad astra per aspera.