Religion

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

Are you religious?

yes
73%
no
27%

Total votes: 11
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Religion

Post by Mercergl »

Okay, so at least in my experiences there seems to be this seperation between scientific and religious intrests. I'm gonna assume most everybdy here is interested in science (hence space camp, aerospace carrers, etc...), but are you especially religious? If you are what church/demomination are you affilitaed with? I am a methodist. Also, what do you think of evolution vs creationism? I'm somewhere in between
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Religion

Post by gt0163c »

Mercergl wrote:Okay, so at least in my experiences there seems to be this seperation between scientific and religious intrests.
I think that, for the most part, that is only partially true/a stereotype that has been trumped up by the media. While there are some religious people who do not believe that science is accurate and some atheistic scientists, there are also a large number of people who are both religious and scientific in their thinking.

Personally, I am both interested in science/technology and religious. I'm an active member of a Presbyterian church (Presbyterian Church in America, PCA, one of the more conservative Presbyterian denominations). I believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God, that Jesus Christ is the son of God who came to earth to save His chosen people from the death that comes from our disobedience to God, and, well, if anyone's interested in more specifics about what I believe, I am very open to talk about them. I also promise not to beat you over the head with my beliefs nor belittle or make fun of you if you don't agree with what I believe. I'm also an aerospace engineer who designs the next generation of military fighter aircraft, reads Wired magazine cover to cover each month, enjoys science fiction and has always been interested in science and technology. The interesting thing is that, in my experience, I am not that unique. I know a number of people who are in similar situations with strong religious beliefs and strong inclinations towards science and technology. In my mind, I do not believe they are incompatible.

On the question of evolution vs creation, I think that, again, this is a misunderstood subject. The thing is, when people speak about evolution, they generally mean macro evolution. Macro evolution is the theory that all life evolved from single cells. What people don't always understand is that there is also something called micro evolution. Micro evolution is that changes within species happens due to mutations and selective breeding. Micro evolution is what Darwin saw on the Galapagos islands, it's what Mendel did with his peas, it's what famers have been doing with animals for years. Micro evolution we can see and we can prove happens. In my opinion, most people who argue that macro evolution is true are extrapolating from what we can see from micro evolution. And, in my mind, there's not enough evidence for that position. While I don't believe in a literal seven day creation, I do believe that God created everything that is in existence. But I don't believe that He did it starting with a single celled organism over the course of millions and millions of years.

And, as I said, if anyone is interested in discussing this in a less public forum, please feel free to shoot me a private message.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

That definetly describes a lot of this well. Just because there is change doesn't mean there's no God. But I think there is some confusion about all of this but I am definetly interested in both science and religion. I was informed by a friend that his school (private, this would NOT work with public) had students write a paper on either evolution or creationism. There is no grey area, and there is the same confusion about macro vs micro that you said. maybe people jst need to think what they want and not have one choice or the other. I tend to believe than evolution is a tool of god, and that when you look at all of the scientific theories, they actually can fit into what religious texts say as well. Just my ideas though
Don't Panic

Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Spirituality vs. Religiosity

Post by Conan »

In reply to your survey, I would have to say that I am spiritual as opposed to religious. While I was raised as a Roman Catholic, I now consider myself unable to support any religion which does not grant equality to women. This pretty much leaves out all major religions currently practicing on Earth, so I cannot consider myself to be a religious person. I am, however, a spiritual person who believes in God. Too many women in this world over all of time have been abused and persecuted with the open encouragement and participation of major religions and it is still going on. Make of this what you will.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

That's an interesting view point. I was going to make the poll also have a sort of option, but i accidentally submitted it without making it.
Don't Panic

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Spirituality vs. Religiosity

Post by gt0163c »

Conan wrote:I now consider myself unable to support any religion which does not grant equality to women.
Conan wrote: Too many women in this world over all of time have been abused and persecuted with the open encouragement and participation of major religions and it is still going on.
I'm curious as to what you mean by this. Are you against limiting the role of women in the church specifically? There are a number of protestant denominations which allow people to serve in every capacity regardless of distinction. The Presbyterian Church (PC(USA)) and Methodist church both have this belief.
Or do you mean something else?

I would be interested to hear more about what you believe on this issue.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

yes it would be interesting to hear more of your views on this
Don't Panic

Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

Actually, I am against limiting the role of women in any sphere: the church, the home, society in general. I know that many Christian denominations now give women a greater say in church affairs but their religion is still based on the Bible, a book written by men several hundred years after the events in it occured. This may be controversial, but I cannot accept it as the unadulterated word of God. The Bible has many places where women are committed to a subservient position to men.
This, of course, is hardly the only major religion which has condemned women to a subservient position.
I don't expect everyone to share my beliefs about this but since you asked, I am presenting them.
On the whole, thought, I don't think that this is the appropriate forum for discussions of spiritual beliefs
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

well it did say off topic... i was just wondering what people thought based on other things that they had said.
Don't Panic

Laura
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Laura »

It's been my experience that the tension between science and religion is partly media hype and partly misunderstanding, and is a non-issue for the vast majority of people.

Personally, I find science actually affirms my religious beliefs, and vice versa.
Space Academy, Boeing - 1997
Space Academy, Coca Cola - 1998
Advanced Space Academy, Von Braun - 1999
Advanced Space Academy, Shepard - 2000
Adult Space Camp - 2005
Adult Space Camp - 2006
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

For me, it all comes down to one word. Faith.

The old saying is still true. "For those that don't believe no explanation will suffice. For those that DO believe, no explanation is necessary."
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

exactly what i think. maybe its all of this political correctness, or the fact that i go to a public high school, but things for me are more seperated than they should be. my beliefs echo most of what has been said here, but the whole problem with what to teach in science class is jsut stupid. people believe what they want to, and thats it
Don't Panic

rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

I am very non-religious. It's just no part of my life, never has been, and I've never felt the need.

I waver between total disinterest in the subject (except an academic one, as I have in everything) and an anti-religious fervor which comes out whenever some religion tries to tell me what to do.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

I am and always have considered myself to be very religious. I am of the Southern Baptist faith. Before you throw rocks, there are many variations of the SBC. Each congregation is independent and allowed to make their own decisions about the way that individual church is run. I have always attended churches that are fairly liberal, but with a traditional style of worship.

That said, I was raised by religiously liberal (especially for their era) parents. When Creationism vs Evolution was being taught in school (back when both were allowed to be mentioned in public school) my mother proposed there really wasn't an argument. She, the daughter of a Baptist minister, explained to us that God created man and we have continued to evolve, proved by the findings of archaeologists. With her urgings and teachings, I grew up a great space geek. I was shown there was no contradiction between religion and science. Science is just a wonderful way to explore the greatness of God's works.
Living the dream
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

street wrote:Science is just a wonderful way to explore the greatness of God's works.
I have no idea what goes on in American schools, but I went to Catholic schools up here and the statement above from 'street' sums up the way we learnt science. There is no big battle between religion and science up here any more than there is a battle between people who like apples and those who like oranges; most people are content with both and never argue over which is better.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

street wrote: Science is just a wonderful way to explore the greatness of God's works.
I think this is absolutely true. I have read viewpoints of people who absolutely cant stand either creationism or evolution in schools. personally, i dont care, i believe what i believe and other opinions dont bother me. but there ase still people who are very strogly opinonated.
Don't Panic

rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

There is a difference between science and faith, they are not equivalent or interchangeable. This makes the question of human origin important in determining how one views the world. One is based on observation, one based on belief.

Belief won't get us to the stars.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
Laura
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Laura »

rkolker wrote:Belief won't get us to the stars.
On the contrary, belief is the foundation on which we reach for the stars!

How else would be even consider the endeavor if we didn't believe it was possible?
Space Academy, Boeing - 1997
Space Academy, Coca Cola - 1998
Advanced Space Academy, Von Braun - 1999
Advanced Space Academy, Shepard - 2000
Adult Space Camp - 2005
Adult Space Camp - 2006
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Laura wrote:
rkolker wrote:Belief won't get us to the stars.
On the contrary, belief is the foundation on which we reach for the stars!

How else would be even consider the endeavor if we didn't believe it was possible?
We have a lot of faith in the people and the equipment. :wink:
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

bnaivar wrote:We have a lot of faith in the people and the equipment. :wink:
Very true