Global Warming!?!

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Global Warming!?!

Post by monkeynautt »

So according to everyone global warming is here and going to cause major changes etc. But why then am I sitting here in -40 weather with a snowstorm. We haven't had temps this cold in over 10 years. At least I don't have classes on Mondays.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

I keep remembering that when I first heard about Global Warming the pundits were screaming that "Unless we do something NOW, the coastal cities of the world will be underwater by 2005!". Well? :roll:
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Correction: With the wind, it is a nice and balmy -46C/-49F outside right now. Perfect for a picnic, don't you think? :roll:

My drive to work consisted of: a lot of patience, a shovel, some traction bars (spiky metal things for under tyres when you get stuck), more patience, and a lot of crossed fingers as I drove through big snow drifts hoping I wouldn't get stuck. I am guessing my drive home will be similar, with more shovelling because I see a 2-foot snow drift forming behind my car.

A lot of people are staying home today, not leaving the house at all. I don't blame them!

Schools are open though, no snow days here!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Moose
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

the cold is here to stay

Post by Moose »

As in the movie "The Day After Tomarow"north atlantic deep currents are not full of salt water any more and are becomeing fresh. when they become fresh there will be no transfer of heat throut the globe and the world will freeze over. If you want to look up the theory you can it is this web site http://oceancurrents.rsmas.miami.edu/at ... antic.html

bleave it or not the cold is here to stay if the poles keep melting.
ASA- July,3-14,-Liberty Bell
ASA-June,10-22

Right Stuff-ASA- July,3-14
Curious george award-ASA-June,10-22
Best 12 team-ASA-June,10-22

Call-sign: Moose
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

My recomendation: "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

What cracks me up is every time Congress wants to have some special hearing on Global Warming, there's inevitably a snow storm that screws it all up. :wink:
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

The weather is just screwed up in general. Here in Alabama we have temps in the 70s today (tornadoes forecast for tonight), but 5 days ago we had snow flurries. It's been like that all winter!
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

OK, so today we had 80 degree weather (in virginia) and everyone screams global warming... :roll: this is a fluke, not a trend, people...
Don't Panic

pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

Here in Chicago we are having the 5th snowiest winter on record. January was mostly colder than usual, but we did have two days in the 60's...and then it dropped to 0 degrees a few days later. We are being hit by our second snowstorm within a week-9 inches last Friday and up to a foot today...and we had two minor snows within this past week of about 3 inches each. I really don't know about global warming, but it seems to be getting wetter than we are used to.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Wiener
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Wiener »

Lets start out with some facts.

For millions of years the djungels have been filtering the ammount of carbondioxide that some billions of living beeings would produce.

That was at a time where no one would even think of humans and populations didnt explode in numbers like today.

At some point man started to walk the earth, to develop tools, to discover the sciences and to use all this knowlege to decimate the djungels, to expand in numbers like no species before and on top of it to burn fossil energiesources like coal and oil.

So, lets calculate a little bit:

The ammount of "filters" is reduced and the ammount of "pollutant" is increased. At the end of the equation I see an increase in "pollutant".

And now I would suggest you go to wikipedia and look up some properties of carbondioxide.

And than i suggest you think about the possibility of Global warming, which doesnt necesarily mean that it gets warmer at your home.

I am certainly not the right person to argue with people about decreasing CO² emmisions. Flying people arround in airliners isnt exactly environmental protection according to the Green Peace operating manual.

But there certainly is a lot of logical evidance that something is happening, like it or not.
Always remember, the localizer ist NOT a windshieldwiper.

X-mas Camp '00-'01

Top Gun Award

Right Stuff Award

Leader Black Panthers
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Now take into account that ONE volcano produces more CO2 than all of humanity combined and it all becomes moot. :roll:
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Also, it has been proven that cow flatulence produces a substantioal amount of CO2. Just thought I'd throw that out there :wink:
Don't Panic

Wiener
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Wiener »

bnaivar wrote:Now take into account that ONE volcano produces more CO2 than all of humanity combined and it all becomes moot. :roll:
Now, that is the typical answer of all those who dont wanna listen because listening would actually mean understanding and understanding would mean blame for one self.

A volcano is, among other things, not within our influence, aircraft, cars, powerplants and whatsoever are. And just to make the point, all cars together probably prdouce more CO² than one single volcano.

But think about it whatever you like, for gods sake we all live in free countries where one is at liberty to produce all the CO² he or she likes.
Always remember, the localizer ist NOT a windshieldwiper.

X-mas Camp '00-'01

Top Gun Award

Right Stuff Award

Leader Black Panthers
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

One can be environmentally friendly without having to be scared into it. FOr some reason it takes a disaster to make people think about all of this. Politicized science and scare tactics are dangerous. Good about the sea ice though
Don't Panic

JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Mercergl wrote:One can be environmentally friendly without having to be scared into it. FOr some reason it takes a disaster to make people think about all of this. Politicized science and scare tactics are dangerous. Good about the sea ice though

I agree. I've often wondered how different things were be if environmentalism wasn't a political issue. I think more people would be willing to get on board if politcs were out if it.
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

I think a lot more people who are interested in the fields of science would be more active without worrying about the political reprucissions
Don't Panic

JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Mercergl wrote:I think a lot more people who are interested in the fields of science would be more active without worrying about the political reprucissions
Absolutely! I'm a member of the American Chemical Society and our weekly trade mag "Chemical & Engineering News" has an editor-in-chief makes no apologies that he is a democrat. When he writes his editorials, half the times it's more politics than science. If the stats are correct and the country is pretty evenly split along party lines, he's turning off half his readers. My opinion is keep the politics out, and let's just deal with the real science of what's going on. Not the science that is biased to the right or the left.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

bnaivar wrote:...and then there's this:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008 ... c-ice.html
First, I thought only Canadians read the CBC... but then again I read the BBC, whatever.

Secondly, I do not understand why environmentalism is so political; is this an American thing?

And lastly, the weather outside is soooo nice (5C/41F) right now! I went outside with just a sweater and jeans yesterday and loved it. Hey, it's all relative. If you just spent the past four months in the snow and cold, this would feel tropical to you too!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017