Aerospace history books?

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Aerospace history books?

Post by ACluvR »

Any one know of a couple big titles for aerospace history? I am doing my final history theory paper (20 pages) analyzing 6 books that are on aerospace history, any help from people who know a lot about this is much appreciated, I was going to focus on the cold war aspect but haven't found 6 books on that topic of it.
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

'The right stuff' or 'a Man on the moon'?
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

As far as space history goes, I think you'd have a hard time beating This New Ocean.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

This New Ocean is good but be careful there are some problems in there certain facts in it are wrong on things and not always well researched.

Good books and primary sources
Flight My life in mission control.
Moon Shot
Apollo 13 (older copies may be under the title Lost Moon)
Men From Earth
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Are you looking for space, military aviation or commercial aviation history?

For aviation book, you might try some that gives the history of the Skunkworks (Lockheed Martin advanced development facility in southern California) or Boeing's Phantomworks. Those will be mostly military aviation, but there's some commerical applications in there too.
For more military aviation history, books related to the history of Edwards Air Force Base (where the Air Force does a majority of their flight test) might be helpful. And, if not, you're sure to learn some great stories.
A biography of Kelly Johnson, an amazing engineer who designed (some of them literally himself) who knows how many aircraft at the Skunkworks might also be interesting.

Sorry I don't know any specific titles. I've got a handful of books on my shelf at home. I'll try to remember to look tonight and post some titles.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Space History Books

Post by Conan »

Failure is Not an Option by Gene Kranz is very good. Mike Mullane's Riding Rockets is a great history of the Shuttle program. I second the vote for A Man on the Moon by Andrew Chaikin. In the Shadow of the Moon, by Francis French is also very good. If you want the best photos I have ever seen, check out the new book America in Space. One of the many space history books published in the last year to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Space Race. This includes one called: Space Race: the epic battle between America and the Soviet Union for Dominion of Space, by Deboray Cadbury. Also: Two Sides of the Moon, by David Scott and Alexei Leonov. These last two also have a good deal about the Soviet Space Program.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Okay, I did some perusing about my bookshelves last night. Couple of books that might be helpful:

SkunkWorks by Ben R Rich and Leo Janos. A good overall history of the SkunkWorks. Lots of Cold War and even into Gulf War era stuff. Also serves as almost a technical biography of Kelly Johnson, just cause he's such a legend out there.

Beyond the Horizon: The Lockheed Story - Walter J. Boyne. Just what the title says, a history of Lockheed (now Lockheed Martin) from the beginning.

Raise Heaven and Earth - William B Harwood. This is the story of Martin Marietta (now Lockheed Martin) from the beginning.

These last two should give you a mix of both military and commercial aviation, as both companies were involved in both earlier in their history.

Hope this is helpful.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin