NASA Wants MMO game

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

Fatal291
Camper
Camper

NASA Wants MMO game

Post by Fatal291 »

NASA doesn't just explore space, it also exploring video gaming! NASA is shifting though proposals from companies keen on creating a MMO that will let students create phony experiments and test out different NASA careers. Says NASA:

NASA is in a position to develop an online game that functions as a persistent, synthetic environment supporting education as a laboratory, a massive visualisation tool, and collaborative workspace while simultaneously drawing users into a challenging, gameplay experience.

Wow, NASA not only talks in the third person, but sounds really boring. This ploy seems like Space Camp for kids whose parents aren't willing to cough up the insane camp fees. Note about Space Camp: I attended as a child and wasn't "selected" as an astronaut. I was a Mission Control flunky instead. We had to read from a binder notebook and flip switches, just like that girl in the above picture. Trust me, she's thinking, "worst camp ever"! And yes, I'm still bitter.
Space MMO [Game Industry]

http://kotaku.com/346400/nasa-wants-mmo
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Re: NASA Wants MMO game

Post by JennieM »

Fatal291 wrote:Note about Space Camp: I attended as a child and wasn't "selected" as an astronaut. I was a Mission Control flunky instead. We had to read from a binder notebook and flip switches, just like that girl in the above picture. Trust me, she's thinking, "worst camp ever"! And yes, I'm still bitter.
When did you go? When I was there, we always ran two missions in Level I and you were always an astronaut in one and MC on the other. That way, everyone had their chance to be an "astronaut."
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

me personally ive never gone, all of that was from the editor none of that was written by me.. it was an interesting article Space Camp + NASA i thought it would be interesting to post. I hope to go this year but it will be with the Adult program because im 19 now my bday is december i really wanted to go with the ASA :cry: I hope i still can if there is enough room the adult one might be boring :(
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

The adult camps are not boring! You can learn and comprehend more at the adult camps than if you went when you were younger.

I attended one of the weekend alumni camps last summer and only wish that I could afford to attend the week-long adult camp. The adult camps have more classroom, learning, and sim time than the younger camps, with less "rest" time. In the adult camps you get more freedom to choose if you want to attend certain lectures and classes and such...of course, it would be stupid to miss too much because you are paying money to go to camp. You get the freedom to leave the grounds and go to the store if you need to, or order some pizza, or go to bars (although I think you said you were only 19, so I guess the bars are out for you). There is great opportunity for team bonding as late into the night as you wish.

I personally liked the adult camp better than attending ASA when I was 16 and 17, even though I was only there for 4 days this time. Hopefully in the future I can attend the longer adult program.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
kidjim25
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by kidjim25 »

Rest time? I don't remember us getting much rest time as teenagers Lisa. At least in my room we didnt. Usually bed time was around 11 but we didn't fall asleep till 1am or so. then it was up at 6.

Last year's alumni camp I felt we may have had more rest. Then again it could be because i was staying at the hotel and not in the hab. I'm with you though i wouldnt mind doing a week long camp again.
"the commander"
Space Academy July 1995-BDM International
Advanced Space Academy International Week July 1997- Tershkova/Plt
Advanced Space Academy Xmas week 1998- Von Braun/plt
Alumni Weekend 25th anniversary June 2007- Columbia-Shuttle Commander
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

kidjim25 wrote:Rest time? I don't remember us getting much rest time as teenagers Lisa. At least in my room we didnt. Usually bed time was around 11 but we didn't fall asleep till 1am or so. then it was up at 6.

Last year's alumni camp I felt we may have had more rest. Then again it could be because i was staying at the hotel and not in the hab. I'm with you though i wouldnt mind doing a week long camp again.
When I went to camp in 97, I remember that during our down times we ran around wild, rode Space Shot about a hundred times, and did what we wanted. At night, since I was in the same room as most of my female teammates, we spent most of the night talking and eating.

During 98, the scheduled down time was spent in the Hab, supposedly resting. I usually sat downstairs with the counselors. That year I was in a room with none of my female teammates, so I spent hours after "bedtime" sitting downstairs talking with the counselors. I was one of the old ones in the group, on my way to college that fall, so I felt like I had more in common with the counselors anyways.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director