Girls feet cut off in 6 Flags incident

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Girls feet cut off in 6 Flags incident

Post by ACluvR »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/21/six.fl ... index.html

So summer of riding Space Shot a million times in a row brings back fond memories... but this is freaky. All though I guess Space shot shoots up and this drops down.
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Yikes! Does anybody, maybe Rich, know about the old 3G sim at SC? I had heard that someone was hurt (or maybe worse?) in an accident, but never had this confirmed. I did not go on it, so I don't know but I heard it was kind of a freak thing.

The other thing, though nothing like that, was that they had incidents of illness when people went on these right after diving, so they don't allow it anymore.

--des
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

Putting on my old reporter hat...

First of all, this looks like a freak accident, but until the accident investigation is completed, we can't tell. They have to look at things like maintenance, inspections and design before they can tell for sure what was the underlying cause. This is why NTSB investigations of air crashes take so long.

Second. No, I haven't heard any stories of serious accidents on the 3G sim. That doesn't mean nothing has ever happened, just that I've never heard of it.

So far as riding after scuba goes, I'd be more worried about a scuba session in the long sim, followed by getting on a plane to leave. I assume they take that into account when scheduling.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

there was a similar ride at my local amusement park called the Black Hole that spun around, much like the old 3G sim at the Rocket Center. It made alot of people sick. It was later closed because someone's foot got cut off.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Oh, terrible indeed. I hope they were able to re-attach her feet.

The grammar in this article is disgusting:
she didn't have no legs
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

SpaceCanada wrote: The grammar in this article is disgusting:
she didn't have no legs
Maybe Forrest Gump wrote the article :lol:
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

I doubt they'll close the ride. horrible thing to happen though! sadly i know a few people have died due to Mission Space at Disney World and luckily that is still open, now they also have a version that doesnt spin.
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

iheartspacecamp wrote:I doubt they'll close the ride. horrible thing to happen though! sadly i know a few people have died due to Mission Space at Disney World and luckily that is still open, now they also have a version that doesnt spin.
Yep, they have the Orange side for those who wish to spin and experience the full ride and a "Green" side for those who just wish to get in and experience the ride without any of the G-forces and motion simulation.

I don't think I've ridden the green side yet. LOL
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Accidents and deaths happen in rides all over the country, and rarely are the shut down for good. But it has happened. There was a ride usually called something like the Wild Rat. I don't know that this ride exists anymore. It was a ride (I wouldn't have done it) that did very sharp turns-called, at the time, hairpin turns-- I guess now I would call them on a dime or something (mostly not going up or down very much). At the time it was somewhat universally decided after many injuries and deaths (at least for rides) that it was not possible to make ar really safe ride like that under technology of the time. Now I have heard of roller coaster rides with that feature but maybe to a bit lesser extent and there is a whole genre of "extreme rides".

So I guess in a round about way I am saying that while there is a remote chance of the ride being taken out permanently that isn't likely. As people's memory of the event fades and maintence improves temporarily at least, it will open again, as will Space Shot.

AFAIK SC has been pretty good on the safety records. THe incident I heard about and it was 2nd or 3rd hand, had to do with someone getting crushed or partly crushed by the wheel on the 3G. It was closed for some length of time (and has now been replaced). It might just be they determined it was too expensive or difficult to maintain so they looked for something else. Or maybe they were looking for something more realistic anyway. But I have never heard substantiation.

I'm sure Rich is right re: SCUBA and these things. The flight back would be known risk. While some sort of ride would constitute an unknown and probably lesser risk.

--des
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

des wrote:Accidents and deaths happen in rides all over the country, and rarely are the shut down for good.
Just think of the accidents that have happened at Disney -- Thunder Mountain derailment at Disneyland, the Mission:Space deaths, the girl who died after riding Tower of Terror, the person who stepped out of the boat on Splash Mountain who died, etc... they're all still there.
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

Richasi wrote:
des wrote:Accidents and deaths happen in rides all over the country, and rarely are the shut down for good.
Just think of the accidents that have happened at Disney -- Thunder Mountain derailment at Disneyland, the Mission:Space deaths, the girl who died after riding Tower of Terror, the person who stepped out of the boat on Splash Mountain who died, etc... they're all still there.
other than the derailment though, all of those were pretty much user error. who in their right mind would step out of the splash mountain boat. same with the space mountatin accident in the 80s (someone stood up during the ride..which is why they now changed the cars). also on all of the mission space accidents...it was deemed that they all had a pre-existing heart conditions whether they were known or unknown previous to the accident is undecided for some.

yes, its a horrible thing to happen... but sometimes if people would just follow directions (honestly...if i heard on mission space ONE MORE TIME that i shouldnt be riding it if i had heart, back, neck, etc problems... i would have screamed)... so many more accidents/deaths could be avoided.
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

iheartspacecamp wrote:yes, its a horrible thing to happen... but sometimes if people would just follow directions (honestly...if i heard on mission space ONE MORE TIME that i shouldnt be riding it if i had heart, back, neck, etc problems... i would have screamed)... so many more accidents/deaths could be avoided.
I agree. I'm saddened to hear that someone has died at Disney, but, those warnings are there for a reason. It's unfortunate too that some people don't KNOW they have a pre-existing condition until its too late.

And I do agree about those warnings on M:S. They're annoying!
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

The no. of people trying to tempt fate by stepping out of rides, taking off harnesses (even holding onto rails) is just amazing. Some people consider themselves invincible. I'm afraid they are the same ones doing all sorts of crazy things on the highways as well.

I also think that these rides are generally FAR safer than the highways and usually the list of warnings isn't too bad. (I don't know about some of the newer ones). Btu the actual no. of things you shouldn't do isn't so high- compared with driving.

--des
empress
Camper
Camper

Post by empress »

There was a fatal accident on the 3G - but it occurred when someone left their seat while the ride was in progress, not during a "normal" operation. I heard about in my first years at Space Camp, when the ride was still running, but it happened when the 10 Challenger Teacher-in-Space finalists went to Space Camp. It is discussed in the Christa McAuliffe tribute book I Touch the Future. This is a wonderful book about an outstanding individual. It's out of print, but your local library may have it, and I recommend it highly.
1986-current: Enterprise Team
"I am the Commander of this ship, and I am responsible for my crew. And I say we're doing whatever we have to, to keep them all alive." - My one-time refusal to Mission Control, thus earning me my call-sign.
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

The was a fatal accident on one of the G-force type rides that used to be at Six Flags Great America. Somehow a young girl ended up getting stuck between or under the wall parts the go up and down when you are spinning and she was crushed to death. I cannot find the reports online anymore, but it was sometime around 1996 or 1997.

Amusement park accidents happen, just like car accidents and plane accidents. It doesn't mean that they should shut down these rides. If they want to make us think that the free falling rides will be safer if they inspect them again, then let them be inspected. It was a freak accident. They happen. These rides are already inspected daily before the park even opens and go through major checks during the offseason. But accidents still happen.

The problems come more with those people who do not pay attention to signs and ride the rides with heart conditions and while chewing gum or eating candy. Just at my local amusement park, there have been quite a few deaths due to those things mentioned above. There was also a younger child who had his fingers taken off because he stuck them outside of the vehicle when it was pulling back up to the station. Most of the accidents are due to stupidity and not mechanical problems.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

SpaceCanada wrote:Oh, terrible indeed. I hope they were able to re-attach her feet.

The grammar in this article is disgusting:
she didn't have no legs
I heard on the news the other morning that they were able to reattach her right foot, but her left foot is hopeless for reattachment.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director