Anybody watch Drive?

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Anybody watch Drive?

Post by CastAway »

The new show, featuring Nathan Fillion of Firefly fame, premiered this weekend. Interestingly, one of the story points was framed around a space shuttle launch. I recommend checking it out if you haven't. You can watch the first three episodes here:

http://www.myspace.com/driveonfox

Start with the episode "The Starting Line" (the player defaults at the latest ep, but you should start with that one). It's a really good show!
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

I'm planning on to watch it this weekend. I've got it taped and am glad to hear that Fox decided to put it on the web.
Unfortunately, the ratings haven't been great so far. So...might not want to get too attached. At least Fox promoted the show well.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Yeah, at least they promoted it well indeed.

Definitely catch up on those first three and try to start watching live next week. I know they need our viewership...
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

MNathaniel wrote:Definitely catch up on those first three and try to start watching live next week. I know they need our viewership...
It's on my list of things to do for relaxation this weekend.

But, the thing is, not being a Nielson family, I can't effect the traditional ratings. I will, most likely, watch it on the web, so that will contribute to the number of views. And that may slightly impact the ratings (I'm still not sure how the networks use the information from their web sites). But, overall, there's not much I can do to impact the ratings of the series (or any other show).
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Now you've got me into it. 8O

Just watched the second episode... seeing Corinna's family was a bit upsetting. :cry:
Ad astra per aspera.
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

used to watch the last five minutes before 24 came on, but now its off 'till january :cry:
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

The final two episodes which were shot (episodes 5 and 6) will be shown on Wednesday 4 July. Not sure of time, but probably primetime (8 and 9pm eastern is my guess). Not sure if they'll show up on-line. Bummer that Fox killed the show so quickly. I thought it had some promise.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

It looked promising, but it seemed like it would be difficult to have a second season without major changes to the show, or it would seem very repetitive. it sure was a better idea than another reality tv version of the show's premise. :roll:
Don't Panic

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Tim Minear (the executive producer guy) said in various interviews that the show would have to change up at least the cast pretty majorly in a second season.

It was also interesting that the initial order was only for 13 episodes (half a season, which is not uncommon for new shows). Minear never planned to finish the race in the first halfseason, but he did plan to have enough resolution that fans wouldn't be left completely hanging if the show didn't get picked up for a full season. Minear was also a big part of Firefly, another "cancelled before it's time" show. So he apparently learned a lesson there. Unfortunately Drive never even made it that far.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

The only problem with changing the cast up is that if fans like one specific chracter, and they get cut from the show, they could lose viewers.
Don't Panic

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Mercergl wrote:The only problem with changing the cast up is that if fans like one specific chracter, and they get cut from the show, they could lose viewers.
That is true. And Minear seemed to imply that at least some of the characters would remain the same. And, due to the more premise driven nature of the show, I don't think it would have been a huge problem. Many shows have made changes in characters between seasons and still managed to retain (and in some cases even gain) viewers. 24 and ER are the two that come to my mind as having major cast changes fairly regularly and still being successful.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

I don't know about ER, but 24 does keep a few key cast memebers from season to season. This is nessicary to keep audiences content. I'd hate to see a promising show like this be repalced, hopefully it will be more successful on either another channel, or through DVD releases. It looked pretty good from what i've seen.
Don't Panic

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Mercergl wrote:I don't know about ER, but 24 does keep a few key cast memebers from season to season. This is nessicary to keep audiences content. I'd hate to see a promising show like this be repalced, hopefully it will be more successful on either another channel, or through DVD releases. It looked pretty good from what i've seen.
Unfortunately except for the slight possibility of a DVD release, the show is done, over, dead and not coming back in any form or on any channel. The final episode to show on 4 July is being billed as the "season finale" not the "series finale", but from everything I have heard and read, it's as close to a series finale as we're going to get.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

oh well, another short lived tv show gone the way of MIR and the Berlin Wall...
Don't Panic