Battlestar Galactica

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Fatal291 »

Anyone here watch it? Since pegasus ive been addicted
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I've seen it but nothing beats the original. sure the technology loos dated today but it was a great show.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

I dont think I could be able to get into the older version but I know several things have changed like Starbuck being a woman and Cylons are created by man. Well anyways i love it
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Finally a Galactica thread for FrakHeads like me. :D

I love this show. Haven't missed an episode yet, and saw the mini-series when it came out. That being said, I was a huge fan of the original series in the seventies but the two shows are worlds apart.

The original BSG was a campy take-off of Star Wars. Not withstanding good acting (Lorne Freakin Greene as Adama!), but watching the original series pales in comparison to the new series. Why?

Apart from the animations (and the use of CGI is impressive), there are quite a few things that make this a much different show than the original - including a few technical ones:

In the original series, Vipers were able to zip through space flying like aircraft with monstrous plumes of rocket exhaust from behind. I even remember an "emergency landing" sequence with a Viper and the checklist included "FLAPS DOWN." The new series has a much better, though not quite perfect, grasp of microgravity flight manuevers. And, the Vipers and Raptors are equipped with RCS systems that you see being used for manueverability.

The characters are much better. In the original series, Apollo never strayed far from Adama's guidance - in the new series, Lee Adama is almost constantly questioning and pushing that guidance to the limit, including standing up to his father and being put in the brig.

Starbuck is a classic knock-em down set-em up again fighter pilot. And this time around she's a girl. Big deal. I think her character has been one of the best on the show. And if you haven't seen "Maelstrom" I won't spoil it - but I'm not real happy with it.

President Roslin kicks ass and she shows exactly how a good leader responds in difficult situations.

Colonel Tighe - well, he's a bad ass. And his whole mindset of creating an insurgency on New Caprica was brilliant.

I could go on, but some of us have to work for a living. Great show - let's discuss!
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

I'm a fairly new fan.. The first full show I saw was Pegasus. I then saw "The Story So Far" which drew me in even more so I got the Season 1 & 2 DVDs (With Mini Series) and I love it more than anything now. At first I would have just thought of them as many others do.. they typical Star Wars/ Star Track type shows. I can't believe how wrong I was. I think this show helps destroy that kind of thinking because it is far from any current Sci Fi shows. I did see Maelstrom.. and some indirect spoilers from the official board but yea its going to be good from here on out.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Not having cable, I'm a late adopter. But thanks to DVDs and a coworker with a DVD hooked up to a VCR I've been able to keep up to date pretty well.

I have vague memories of seeing the original series. Dad liked it. But I haven't seen enough to form an opinion of it. The new series however, I think is amazing. Even the episodes that aren't great are better than a lot of stuff that's on tv. I really like the character's depth and their development. I like that it's dark but that there are occasional glimpses of light and hope. I like that these seem to be real people dealing with an incredibly difficult situation, trying to live life and get by and have some sense of normalcy in a world that's turned just about everything they know on its head, trying to figure out what makes life worth living and preserving what good they can amidst everything else that's going on.

The production qualities are excellent. (Although there were a few scenes recently where everyone is sweating profusely and somehow, when the Chief speaks, you can see his breath. Still not sure how those slipped by the effects guys.) I really like how the ships move in three dimensional space and use more or less real world physics. I do sorta wish that they went with the "no sound in space" thing instead of adding some audio effects. But it's not all that distracting to me (and much better than many other sci-fi series/movies).

Overall, I think it's one of the best shows on television and I know it's going to be hard to wait between the end of season 3 and the start of season 4. (And is there anyway the show can move off of Sunday nights? Friday night was so much more convenient.)
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

If anyone dares or cares, aintitcool news has posted some spoilers regarding the season finale on March 25. I've seen a bunch of rumored spoilers, too. The episode looks like it will rock.

However, the current rumor is we'll be waiting until January 2008 for more....
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

noooo i hate spoilers, i read some by accident about starbucks recent episode.. i cried after i read it and after i saw the episode.
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Then I won't spoil anything for you, but if they are true....

HOLY FRAK! :D

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Sandrat wrote:However, the current rumor is we'll be waiting until January 2008 for more....
That's what I've read on more than one (fairly consistently accurate) web site. I think it's safe to say that it's going to be a long 9+ months. Perhaps if they can get the residuals issue worked out they will do another set of webisodes (provided the season ending cliff-hanger lends itself to that type of storyline again).

The bigger question is whether season 4 will get a full season order (they currently are only budgeted for half a season. I think 11 episodes.) and whether season 4 will be the final one.
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

I'm betting Season Four gets the full go and that it's the last one. Especially if the big ending of the next episode is what the rumors say - major implications.

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Sandrat wrote:I'm betting Season Four gets the full go and that it's the last one. Especially if the big ending of the next episode is what the rumors say - major implications.
Just so long as we can agree to be good about labeling spoilers.
It takes me a while to get to the episodes and I'm guessing I'm not the ony one.
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Update - this morning

SciFi has ordered a full 22 episodes of BSG for Season 4. More info at http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 2&id=40676

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

OH MY GOSH..I have not read any spoilers but you guys are making it sound like its going to be so good.. I CANT WAIT 8O :P
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

GAAAHERAENE RE !!!! NO WORDS CAN EXPRESS THE AWESOMENESS OF THIS SEASON FINALE!!!!! (hence the gibberish)

I am not lying when I say this might be the best season finale I've ever seen for a series.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

A lot of new questions about Earth now i bet!