Burning CD/DVD's

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Burning CD/DVD's

Post by psych0rabbit »

This evening I was burning a few video CDs (not DVDs) for a class project, and I discovered that I have to restart my computer between burning each disc. If I don't, it tells me I'm inserting the wrong type of media or something like that. If I restart my computer though, and use the same disc that it didn't like, it'll accept it. The fact that I had to restart my computer between burns hadn't occurred to me until tonight. I thought I just had a lot of bad discs (which I'll have to go through now because they may be good). Has anyone else had this kind of problem? I don't know if it's a computer problem or a software problem, and if I knew what it was, I might be able to experiment and fix it.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

The best burning software available for Windows is, without a doubt, Nero.

They have a trial version you can download. I would recommend you try to burn your CDs with it and see if you still need to reboot. If not, ditch your current software and buy a copy of Nero (assuming this isn't what you're currently using).
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

I don't have Nero. When my brother set up my computer he gave me Roxio. When I burn my video CDs or DVDs, everything I do goes through that program . . .Pinnacle Studio 8. Nothing comes up from Roxio when I burn my stuff through Pinnacle. I'm so lost when it comes to burning stuff, lol. I don't do it very often. I just tell my computer to burn and hope that it does . . .which it doesn't always.
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

hmm.. never happened to me either. i use sonic. it always seems to work nicely for me. it came withmy new windows.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Roxio works fine or at least it always did for me before i got Nero OEM. The problem is just that your computer, for whatever reason just isnt recognizing the disc as being new. Have you tried closing the program and restarting it? I'm sure theres a fix for this...
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

Space Nerd wrote:Have you tried closing the program and restarting it? I'm sure theres a fix for this...
If I remember right, closing it didn't do anything. I actually started to get a lot of error messages from the program. This would suggest that it's the program that's the problem . . .but it still doesn't like my CDs in other programs, which would suggest that it's not ONLY the program. I'm not sure what is to blame, lol. Like you said, I'm sure there's a fix, I just don't know what it is, lol.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I think its probably the program and you might be a little short on memory... I dunno how to fix it without being there lol.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

I'm good on memory, I've got lots.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Out of curiosity how much is lots?
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

right now on my main drive I have about 2.6 GB, but I'll be cleaning that up soon, so there'll be more, on the drive I store all my captured video and stuff I have about 13GB
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Ok thats storage but it helps to have lots of that too. Do you by chance know how much memory you have as in... RAM (it would be numbers like 128/256/512/)? The only reason i ask is that sometimes when you get really low on it programs refuse to function properly. Though i dont know if thats the problem. I guess the main thing is that you can find a way to make it work so thats good.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

How would I find out how much memory I have?
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

If you right click on My Computer and select properties it will be on that first screen under Computer and will say something like '512 MB of RAM'. I wouldnt stress over this because it may not even be a source of your problem. I just always look at the amount of memory people have when stuff starts freezing/refusing to close and whatnot.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

504MB
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Uhhh... Thats kinda odd but nontheless you should be good on memory so its probably just a bug in the program. You could try reinstalling it and see if that helps.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over